Money can't buy happiness is something poor people say to make themselves feel better?

No, I'm not some rich guy... sorry ladies. I think money can buy you time and resourses you can use to better your life which will bring an increase in happiness. The only thing stopping certain rich people from being happy is themselves. Money can in fact increase your joy. Enough with the BS about money being evil.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's more insidious than that - rich and powerful people spread that message; it's the same as the Christian message: 'the meek will inherit the earth'; the idea being if you tolerate being impoverished and oppressed then you'll be rewarded, or at least be somehow a morally better person.

Money will buy happiness,, to a certain point. It can buy security and luxuries and it can allow you to visit loved ones who live far away and have experiences you wouldn't be able to have otherwise.

You tend to get billionaires who feel very disconnected from everything who turn to spirituality to try and get a sense of meaning in their lives though.. It's not just a straight correlation where the more money you have the happier you'll be

Most Helpful Guy

• Perhaps some poor people say this to feel better in a "sour grapes" sort of way but that doesn't invalidate the idea. While I agree that money can be be a tool for happiness but I disagree that it happens automatically. Unhappy people who come into lots of money do not become happy, at least not for long. The very rich generally have the most unhappy families and most strained relations with their children of any economic group. There is an inverse relationship between wealth and generosity. The wealthy are by far the least generous people in America (as a percentage of wealth) while those who can afford it the least are the most generous. I would argue that stingy people are NOT happy. The wealthy are by far the class that is most desperate to gain more wealth which is another measure of unhappiness.

Recently, a group surveyed people from every country about collective happiness. They found that most of the richest countries scored very low and that those that scored the highest were very poor countries (although not all poor countries scored high, of course). This surprised me until I thought more deeply about it. The focus on wealth does seem to impede happiness rather than facilitate it.

The actual quote is not "money is the root of all evil" but more like "love of money is the root of all kinds of evil". Based on the everything I mention and so much more, this is certainly true. Pursuit of money for its own sake is an addiction and like all addictions its pleasures are temporary and followed by longer periods of misery.

• bu don't you think the rich people are just choosing to be unhappy, because they think they need to live a certain way due to all the excess $$$? they could easily just live avg lives, but put all the $$$ into savings or spend it on pleasure.

• @VampireEmpress Certainly they could live simply and enjoy the money and some do but they are definitely the exceptions. My theory is that as people acquire money they also begin to associate with people who have more money so they don't feel wealthy anymore. That trend doesn't seem to ever end so the desperate hunger for more income increasingly gets worse.

What Girls Said 11

• No, this is something wealthy people have said to me my whole life.

Growing up poor and homeless, no one in my family EVER said this lmao. In fact, we would laugh whenever people would say this.

Money most certainly can by you happiness. Those who do have money and are unhappy are just impossible to please, is all. Or depressed, which is a whole other issue.

• Yes. I know for a fact that if I had heaps of money I would be a thousand times happier. Money does bring happiness if you know how to use it right.

• i think money can buy happiness. or at least temporary happiness. i think people who are happy without it say you can't buy it. but not unappy poor people.

• it cannot buy love.. that's all. but it can buy joy and happiness..

• It also can't buy true friendship, freedom, character, morals, justice (at least in my country), respect, health (to a large degree at least), intelligence, a caring and loving family, creativity, peace of mind, talents, happy memories, a positive outlook and perspective on life, humility, an intact nature and eco-system and, perhaps most importantly, an appreciation for the small things in life.

• No, I call that satisfaction ;-). Happiness means that you are without the desire to even buy yourself something because you're already happy. This is sort of the core of Buddhist belief (I am not a Buddhist myself but I think there's a lot of truth in that philosophy). The idea is that you can get rid of all your desires and needs, except the most basic ones, get rid of all your material possessions etc. and still be happy. Satisfaction or joy are the feelings you experience temporarily when you buy yourself something before losing them and getting the desire to buy something even better, newer, bigger, more luxurious. Happiness is something much more intense. It's a very holistic feeling that comes from deep within. If you feel "content" simply because you're alive, your healthy, you have love in your life and you appreciate the small things than you are truly happy. If your house burns down and your car hits a tree but you can still laugh, you're probably a happy person.

• @BlueCoyote I am happy with being satisfied then.. 😜

• I think money can't buy you happiness presay but it would solve a lot of my problems lol. I honestly would love to win enough to get out of debit buy a small house and invest some. I would love to just live by my means and maybe just a little extra.

• Having money would relieve the financial stress of everyday life and would then allow for more time to do what you want.

• Money brings temporary happiness. It surely doesn't bring permanent, genuine happiness.

There's lots of rich people who are depressed af and overdosing by the minute. Just look at Hollywood.

• No, more rich people than poor people say that.

• I agree with you! but damn you were blunt about this lol

• i think as long as you have enough to live comfortably, you're good.

• I believe money can buy you happiness. If you are wealthly you can create happiness. They say money doesn't buy you true friends, but neither does being poor.

Money doesn't take away your problems... it just changes the, but i know for a certainty i could live a happy life if i was " loaded"

Poor people say , " money doesn't make you happy" and rich people say, " money isn't everything"

If money doesn't make you happy then i would rather be rich and unhappy than poor and unhappy.

I haven't seen a poor man happy , but i have seen a rich man happy

• I think its saying that everyone has problems regardless of how much money they have. Sure Bill Gates's problems are drastically different than those of the homeless guy on the street corner, but they both have issues that cause stress in their lives and could prevent them from being truly happy.

What Guys Said 16

• Money itself is not evil and I don't think anyone claims that. However, being materialistic is dumb. There are so many materialistic people in the world and I find that very sad because it makes them incredibly superficial.
    As for the happiness part: Sure, money can bring you joy, excitement and satisfaction, but I disagree that money can buy happiness. I enjoy being able to buy certain products but I know I could also live without them. I might be less satisfied but I don't think it would actually make me less happy. All the things I truly, truly cherish (except from one thing, which is travelling), namely my girlfriend, nature, my family, the ability to increase my knowledge and social and political freedoms can't be bought with money. These are things I need to be happy. Everything else is just sort of additional luxury.

If you don't quite me believe me yet, I can tell you that they've made a research in Europe a few years ago among people who all won several millions in their national lottery. As it turned out, all the lottery winners experienced an extreme "high" of happiness, almost as though they were on drugs, for 1-3 years, only to fall into a hole afterwards and actually be more miserable than they were before they won the jackpot. To me, this makes total sense. Even if you can buy yourself a huge mansion with 5 butlers, it will eventually feel normal and thus not very exciting anymore. You will want even more, an even bigger mansion, even fancier car etc. and that will make you unhappy (there's a good reason why Buddhists believe that need and desire are the root of all unhappiness). You will wonder if you're perhaps not happier in a small cottage in the Alaskan wilderness or the Amazon jungle in the company of your dog or a person you love. Even if you can buy and fuck any escort girl you desire, this will be lots of fun for a few years but eventually it will become dull and boring. You will feel like it's just the same old thing again and again and perhaps ask yourself why you can't just find one girl who will love you genuinely the way you are - something you can't buy with money.

They also found out in other studies that until a certain amount of wealth, money actually does make you happier, but if you reach a certain, second border (around 200,000 dollars a year), the money doesn't contribute to your happiness anymore and many rich people are in fact much more miserable than poor people. Just look at rich and poor countries.

• Hahaha yeah, it's like when you don't win the lottery but say "well, at least we're healthy" xD
    Money will help you to find happiness, but in the end this comes from inside, so it depends on what makes you happy. If you're a materialistic person, then yeah, money will buy you happiness because you find happiness by buying expensive stuff.
    Others find happiness in love and companionship, therefore, their happiness isn't 100% connected to money, but still, without money they wouldn't be happy.
    So in order to be happy, you at least have to have money.

• I believe that the quote is true. I'm not rich either. But I do know well-established people and they have problems and issues just like any middle-class, lower or poor family has theirs are just not normally financial issues.

• if I was rich, I'd pretend to have problems just to mess with people lol and also so they wouldn't be jealous.

• No well not really.. Money would make you a tiny bit happier but that'll be less then 10% happier.

Happiness 50% to do with the person and 50% genetic (from reshearch that I've done)
    Personality traits are genetic also

You can think more money would make you happier but when you do get more money you most likely won't even notice happiness increase

• Coming from a wealthy family I can tell you that all money gives you is convenience. If you're looking to solve some type of malady of being unhappy in life that is deep at your core, money won't cure your problems.

• No it's simply true I believe in that saying and I'm not poor, money can buy temporary happiness sure, but true happiness is something that can not be bought.

• Yes, i think it's a way to trick the mind...
    Money does it's porpuse, makes you get what you need to be the person that you wish,

Just that.

• Yip, that saying and religion. It helps rich guys stay rich and poor people be content with their misery.

• You.. you seem to be one of the only logical people in this site. No... in this world! Money can't directly buy happiness but it can buy you things to make you happy, and the fact that people do not realize that astonishes me.

• It definitely helps and can make it easier to be happy. But at some point it will need more than just that, e. g. you can't buy real love.

• I am actually fairly upper middle income but I also don't think it will buy me happiness. I want to earn more but not because it makes me happy but because it will help me help people and myself thus eventually giving me a more altruistic purpose.

• No it is the unfortunate truth, but let me tell you something, even poverty can't get you happiness...

• No its just that people are so greedy and obsessed with material possessions that they baee

• I think so, cause money can indeed buy you happiness

• I think this word is wrong the right would be money doesn't buy satisfaction

• That's what rich people tell poor people. To make them more content with their situation