Which of the Mario Kart items do you feel takes the most skill to maximize its usability in a race (not battle mode)?

Please elaborate on your reasoning on choosing that item over the others! :-D

• banana peel
  • fake item box
  • Bob-omb
  • green shell
  • mushroom
  • red shell
  • another Mario Kart item not mentioned in poll options A-F

Most Helpful Girl

• The banana is quite difficult to align and some people see it and just move out the way in time so it's useless. It's a pain in the ass though when you do go over it.

• The whole idea behind drop item to to make the opponent Dodge it, this taking the least time-productive path on turns, reducing their track time, making it harder for the opponents to catch up. :)

• Never thought of using it like that.

• I was a competitive online Mario Kart player so I'm a bit of a try hard. :-P

Most Helpful Guy

• Fake item box. Like, unless you're absolutely forced to hit one, they're so easy to avoid. Forced to hit is like being knocked into it, having lakitu drop you in front of one, etc etc. If they were to actually look like an item, that'd be interesting.

• The whole idea behind drop item to to make the opponent Dodge it, this taking the least time-productive path on turns, reducing their track time, making it harder for the opponents to catch up.

If someone divert their usual path to dodge 4-5 drop items in one lap , an entire second can be added to their lap time. One second is a LOT of time in a racing game like Mario Kart.

This is why I prefer fake item boxes to banana peels. Nobody ever "falls for" a fake item box, but it is bigger and causes more 'damage time' than a banana Peel does.

• I can't say I ever used them like you described, seems more useful. I merely placed them in front of speed tiles (?) and other item boxes. I don't really like them because banana peels can block shells, cause slipping off the edge, and you don't even get speed from the speed tiles you lose it! Personal preference for my anyway, slipping off the edge/on the track > dodging and adding a second. Heavy carts especially don't like the deceleration because it's hard enough to get max speed.

What Girls Said 3

• I think all of those besides the mushroom and bob-omb can be fired from behind your cart right? If so that doesn't really take much skill unless you throw it in front and hope someone crosses its path.

• I voted green shell but it's between that and the mushrooms.

• Banana peels... because no one falls for it.

• My vote goes to the green shell, track knowledge will let you know the best place to aim and backwards fire that thing! :-D

• @lifes_curve_ball can attest to what I just said!

• Yeah, I can. Also my favorite spot to troll people with fake item boxes is at the exact spot of a real one lol

What Guys Said 5

• The single green shell if you're using it for offense by shooting it. Sometimes it's useful to just swerve right by someone while activating it and as you swerve through they go down lol

• I was quite a beastly player online for Mario Kart DS. The green shell mastery is what matters most! :-D

• Never had a DS. I played on the N64 though and so I'd sometimes just hold the green shell behind me so I can grab up another item and just keep it held till I reached a good point to launch lol

• Yup that is a very important thing to do too! If u want to play some top tier Mario Kart, know the best places on the track to miniturbo, and when u get a good item at the back of the ranks, u will be able to catch up WITHOUT using your item!

I would get a Starman in the back, miniturbo and eventually catch up to everyone else, and have a Starman in first = blue shell protection!

• Oh definitely the Green shell, you have to be real good at aiming that sucker. But it feels so good when you do!

• My online record on Mario Kart DS was really good mainly because of the green shell skills! ;-)

• Green Shell:
    It's not too hard aiming them directly at an opponent, but it does require great timing especially when making turns. But man if you come across someone who is good at throwing them at angles off a walls, you better watch out.

• Some say the banana peel, but it's really just about waiting until someone is right behind you then releasing it. The green shell takes the most skill because there's no lock on system.

• I haven't played the last two Mario karts but I always felt that the shells were the most important item to be really good with. I would say being really good with he green shells is a huge advantage.

• Yup, I agree. Also the use of Bob-omb because of its huge blast radius and its detonation on proximity as well as contact, is also very underrated.

• Double Dash was the only game where characters had "Special" items, all other ones everyone can get every item! :-D

• I never played any newer one than double dash except for Mario kart 7 or something on Nintendo 3ds. I of course placed first place in my only match on it lol