Bowling question: Can you hit a strike by throwing the ball without touching the ground?

Most common technique’s release da ball by slidin it on da ground…

But can u hit a strike by throwin bowlin ball just like a baseball ball?

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• This could be my imagination but I have a vague recollection of reading rules that said the ball must touch and stay in contact with lane thereafter before a point on the lane - I think the arrow head marks (about 10 feet from bowling release line) and no overhand throws allowed.

What Girls Said 3

• Hmmm in order to achieve a strike that way you'd need a very precise projectile path, almost horizontal. I bet you could only get the right velocity if you had the strength of Superman or Mr. Incredible.

• No, I've never tried it that way. I usually just toss it down the lane and let it roll... hopefully not in the gutter haha.

• Nope I can't.

What Guys Said 4

• so the question essentially is a can a person throw a 6lb (lightest ball I've ever seen) ball 60 feet (length from the foul lane to the lead pin) for a strike.

I'll wager that it hasn't been done and most likely is very difficult. the simple physics are near impossible because you're not going to throw it that distance on a straight line. you'd have to factor trajectory. then you have to factor that most bowling lane ceilings aren't more than 12 ft high and the pin box extends beyond the lead pin. SO you'd have to throw the ball less than 12 feet high while also having the ball clear the pin zone without hitting the framing of lane.

I'm sure someone could figure out the physics and attempt it but it's probably almost impossible

• You'd have to have incredible strength and prescion but if I remember right the rules state the ball has to touch the ground.

• You'd probably break your arm, cuz that's an overhand shot.

And what if u miss…?

• u'll pay for any damages u'll cause... :|

• will it roll back?

• Yup if it does the scenario I suggested! Where it deflects off the ceiling!

• maybe if you are strong enough, but if you miss it will really fuck up the lanes