How do you greet people?

How do you greet people?
I was raised to greet people with cheek kissing and hand kissing. Hand kissing is a more common way to greet the elders, whereas cheek kissing is to greet everyone, but for me it's more commonly practiced within friends and family. At every family gathering you could literally see people doing that. ><

Another common gesture used is the 'salam' gesture. Salam is basically just both your hands gently touching the other person's hands, before bringing your hand back towards your heart. But nowadays with close friends we just bump our fists. xD

So what's your way of greeting people? (=

Most Helpful Guy

• I like the Salam greeting. That sounds like a very sweet gesture :-).
    In my country Switzerland, we also do a lot of cheek kissing (between everyone, not just women). However, contrary to the French custom (which was copied by some other countries), Switzerland is to my knowledge the only country in the world where people kiss three times instead of two times. You always start with the left cheek, so it's left-right-left. This has already created a couple of funny-awkward experiences when I was greeting friends in Spain because they only kiss twice like in France and so they got really confused when I tried to kiss them one more time ;-).
    Between strangers, we usually just shake hands like in most western countries. If two men are good friends, they usually give each other a warm hug (without the back-patting and it's a little longer than in North America).
    One quite special way of greeting is among young people of the opposite sex. When we're in high school or university and we have a good friend of the opposite sex, we sometimes kiss them on the lips for saying hello and goodbye.

• Persians do this as well.

• On the lips? Wow xD

Ahah thank you ^^ I find the salam gesture pree sweet as well (: it's something like 'peace be upon you'.

Most Helpful Girl

• I usually greet strangers with a handshake, friends or acquaintances with a hug or 3 suggested (!) kisses on the cheek

• I usually just greet strangers with a handshake as well 😅 But if its in my home country I still kiss them on the cheek (:

• Ahah ikr! I did that a few times in Australia and my friends found it really weird xD I still kiss my friends' parents hand tho whenever I meet them, been used to doing it since young 😅

• I think that's really polite - it used to be a common thing all over Europe a few hundred years actually.. But whatever, the politeness died lol

What Guys Said 19

• Well, obviously, it depends on who I'm greeting. In my professional life it's all firm handshakes. My girlfriend usually gets a bear hug and a kiss, sometimes a comically forceful kiss, haha, pretty much anywhere on her head or neck😘 Sometimes I try to be real annoying about it😆 With friends, it depends how close we are and/or what friend it is. Some guys I just give a casual pound, closer friends I usually do like hand slap that leads into a bro-hug. Female friends I usually just hug and/or high-5, haha. Oh, and I had a friend I worked with a few years ago and we had this wicked elaborate dap. Go in like a handshake except we'd hook thumbs and move our hands upwards together (kind of like a bird shape I guess?), back down, then kind of snap our fingers off the other's on the release, then there was a straight on fist bump except we'd pass each other, fully extend our fingers, and then pull it back (kind of a uncoil-recoil motion), then it went to forward hand slap, backwards hand slap, then three more emphatic forward hand slaps, double-brush-off of the left shoulder, and culminating in a forceful, pronounced salute. I haven't seen him in like five years and I guarantee we could bump into each other and execute it flawlessly, haha😎

• New Zealand/European people
    Guys: I usually shake his hand.
    Girls: (that are comfortable with it) I hug them, some girls want a hug and are often the ones to ask for one.

New Zealand Maori people
    If the guy is a Maori often you press noses instead of shaking hands.
    If the woman is a Maori often you kiss her on each cheek.

• Ah that's cool (:

• That's really nice ^^

• Yeah when I am comfortable with a close female friend I am very comfortable.

• I was raised with kissing on the cheeks too, but with Americans I just give them a handshake. When I go to Spain I still greet with the kiss.

• 1|0
  • Generally handshakes, or cheek kisses when the girl is used to do that.
    In Belgium that's very regional. I live just North of Brussels and we would rarely do it.
    But if you have friends from Brussels and don't kiss them they'll think everything is wrong and they upset you :o

• What I was taught:
    Elders- Namaste, with the hand gesture
    Super Elders/Gurus- Touch Feet with both hands
    Younger/Friends- Simple wave and hello
    Family- No greetings, just use their family nickname

What I do:
    Super Elders/Gurus/Elders-Namaste/Hello, sans hand gesture
    Same as above for family, younger people and friends

• I greet people in person, on the phone, anywhere as Ma'am or Sir
    i greet people with respect and caring no matter who they are.

• I usually say Hello or if they are in a group I say mornin y'all, I also do handshakes and hugs with close friends.

• Hello good sir how do you do?

• I raise my chin and say "Yo".
    If it's my dad I raise my chin and say "What is up my son?"
    If it's a male friend, I say "Hello there darling."

• Hey or hello to acquaintances or strangers.

Sup or EYYYYY to close friends.

• English-Canadian
    -In formal situations I was raised to shake hands.
    -In informal situations it's usually an "Ay". This is usually followed by " 'ow are ye?"

• Say hello Guys: handshakes Girls:hugs or handshake depending on preference.

• We shake hands and bow a little bit if we were shaking hands with an older person

• Handshake for men, hugs for women.

Hugs for close friends, some girls don't get hugs and don't seem to want hugs from me, no big deal

• No greetings, we just call using their names.

• I greet my friends like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZY48p1LPPg

• 0|0
  • With a gentleman handshake n with a sound Hello, Hi, Ram Ram
    With a lady Namaskar, nameste, Good M/E.

What Girls Said 16

• all cultures greet differently...

I grew up in south america, there you give one kiss on the cheek. women with everyone, men only with women. men shake hands or do a side hug, or pat/grab on the upper arm

In Switzerland we give 3 pecks on the cheeks (switching from side to side). women to everyone, men only to women. men shake hands, side hug or pat/grab on the upper arm

In Italy its 2 kisses on the cheek (both cheeks) women with everyone and men with women. Men with men shake hands and do a side hug plus a peck on the cheek plus a pat on the back (depending on how close you are of course)

In France they do 2 kisses on the cheek.

• Wow..

Curious tho, would you like say forgot about how many kisses to give? Would people actually mind that? 🙈

• oh and I forgot Germany: between friends you give 2 kisses (1 each cheek)

lol no i don't forget how many kisses I have given when greeting. But it gets awkward when your southamerican friends, who live in Germany, come to Switzerland to visit more Southamerican friends who live here in Switzerland... It raises the question: so 1 kiss, 2 or 3 ? ? ? none at all?
      It gets complicated :-D lol

• Yes, we kiss both cheeks if they are friends or we know them well.

For family we hug and kiss three times (for eg left cheek, right cheek, left cheek again).

For elders in the family, we kiss three times and a longer hug or until they let go.

For children in the family a big hug and a cheek kiss and a forehead kiss.

For people just been introduced to it's a polite handshake.

• It depends on who I am greeting. Family members: my mom's side was always a kiss on the cheek. My dad's side was always a hug.

If it's a close friend, I'll give them a hug. If it's a new client, or a friend is introducing me to someone, they usually shake my hand.

When I see someone while I'm out for my walk or jog, it's usually a head nod and a "Good morning!" or if they say hello first, I'll just say "Hello!" and smile.

The Salam gesture sounds very sweet. :)

• I usually does the head nod to my teachers as a form of greeting or respect, or bowing to them. (:

Thank you (: It means 'peace be upon you', and somehow I really like doing it ahah 🙈 Whenever I handshake with someone, after doing it I'd still bring my hand back to my heart as a sign of the salam gesture (:

• You could start doing it tho ahah 🙈🙈 I guess it's a cultural greeting in my country, I rarely see people doing that ><

You're welcome by the way ^^

• That's true! Most people around here just give a head nod, if anything haha.

• In Mexico we kiss on the cheek (one kiss is enough). A handshake is also very acceptable.

When I don't like the person is just like "hey" and I raise my chin a bit and my right hand too.

38.media.tumblr.com/.../...bzVlvx1u1vo97o1_500.gif

Like that, but less enthusiastic.

• Depends on the relationship.

No relationship or casual acquaintance/coworker? Hand shake or wave, depending on the scenario.

Friend? Generally a one-armed or light hug or arm around the shoulder/back slap.

Family or best friend? Tight hug.

Boyfriend? Kiss on the lips and a hug.

• Cheek kissing to people who are close to me, like friends and relatives. Hand shaking to acquaintances, waving to strangers.

• I was always brought up to hug people as a greeting, or a handshake if you want to be more formal. Most of my friends have been brought up the same, but there are a few who have been brought up to give a quick kiss on the lips as a greeting.

• I shake hands and say Hello/ hi to strangers.

And I shake hands and say "Heyyy!!" to my friends.

If it's a close friend, I hug her

• Spanish people give a kiss on the cheek to say hello. Or I will shake a persons hand guys and say hi nice to meet you. It all depends family gives kisses on the cheek and hugs. Others just a hand shake or a wave with my hand hello.

• woman to woman: kiss on cheek.
    woman to man: kiss on cheek
    man to man: handshake and/or hug

• Wow the culture differences! xD I've never seen anyone here greeting people with any sorts of kissing or the 'salam' gesture. I shake hands if I meet someone for the first time, say hello/hi if we're not close and hug everyone else xD

• The kissing is common within my family and sometimes I tend to avoid certain aunts because their lipsticks is too red xD Imagine your cheeks with their red tips 😂

Usually cheek kissing is followed by hugs here as well (:

• Hahahha aww it's like the cute relatives in the movies 😂

• I just say Hi or Hello.

• I shake hands with people I never met and I kiss and hug people I know

• 👊👊👊

I use hand kissing and cheek kissing too :p

• 👊👊

😘

• @asker still i'm surprised people follow "kissin cultures" or wotever they called...

i follow my own way personally...

when i don't know someone very well or not at all i greet wid a "hi"... or a "yo"... without a handshake or anything...

if i know someone better... i use to fist bump/bro shake as i said above... or sometimes i might give a "friendly punch" on their arm/shoulder... :)

• @Klaatu51 ahah I guess it's because I was raised to do it, kind of hard to get rid of that habit now tho, and I like doing it as well (:

• With a smile.

• Mostly it's a hug, but if a person is not up for it, just saying Hi, or handshaking