Do you think the "popularity contest" on GAG will ever stop?

Just wondering. I refrain myself from answering those type of questions because there are amazing people on this site to just name one person and sometimes you can leave someone out, and that someone can get hurt.

Yes, I admit it, when I was a new user, I used to ask and answer this type of questions. I was new and didn't know anyone. I mean is it really that important to be "popular" on GAG? is worth it?
To be honest, it's getting old.

Most Helpful Guy

• My way around it is just to say I like a lot of people or think a lot of people are pretty on GaG but I won't tag them because they are too many or I am afraid of leaving someone out (much the same as your considerations).
    I see pros and cons in these questions - The pros, in reality they are harmless fun and allow a group to have friendly interaction - The cons, they give the impression of "Popularity" and creates "Famous" Gaggers, why is this bad, new users especially younger users aspire to be "Popular" or "Famous" rather than being concerned about the quality of their input to the site. Next con do new users feel like outsiders because of perceived cliques when ethos of site must be you can join site and possibly become friends with anyone on the site. In conclusion, I feel most users are well known/popular within their own group and relatively unknown outside that group. The amount of mentions will depend on how active or public your friends are, Xper points and levels depend on how active you are nothing else.
    These question I think are no harm as long as people realise they are fun and words like "Popular" are kept out of the equation because of the high school connotations of the word. Simply put all GaG users are equal and no body is better or worse than anyone else regardless of points/level/gender/faith (non faith)/ sexuality/nationality/race etc. Each person should be judged on their input to the site, if another user shares a common interest with them, they can talk and possibly become friends.
    s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...a8da093d5f.jpg

Most Helpful Girl

• I can just Wake up every morning, @cl_517, and THESE just Hit me in the face. I Answer to someone and those who Mention me, and although it is sweet, it can get Old when the same Questions are Asked and Answers Repeated.
    I am the sort of GAGER who never likes to leave Anyone OUT I love and respect Out out of this Equation. I may Mention the same with a name, such as You, @YourFutureEx, because these are friends till the end that Naturally come to me and I do not wish to leave out. @Klaatu51 is another one because just good friends I do not wish to forget and come to mind every time.
    I may forget some so with the long list so long, I go back and have to keep going and flowing to put them Down so no one has a Frown. It is hard to keep up so Lately I am just saying: YOU ALL KNOW WHO YOU ARE."
    Good luck and so happy you are back, sweetie. xxoo

• I'm sorry I wasn't replying to your opinions in which I was mentioned because I don't consider them as genuine questions and any kind of activity there means supporting them. It is understood that we are besties and always will be. Just like you said "YOU ALL KNOW WHO YOU ARE", yes we know. I liked the way you mentioned CoolBreeze only recently. Mentioning only one person is better choice and you even elaborated the reason which makes it perfect and enhances solidarity.
      Thanks :)

• My pleasure, treasure @Klaatu51 always glad to do dat. lol:)) xxoo

• Thank you so much, @cl_517, for the Vote of Confidence and the Upvote... lol... Again, what a nice surprise to my eyes to wake up to:)) xxoo

What Guys Said 11

• Thank god another user realised especially, the queen of those questions. I thought I am the only one running the #NonCooperation movement. I stopped replying on the opinions in which I'm mentioned and eventually, they stopped mentioning me. No, I'm not rude or egoistic, like you said "when I was a new user, I used to ask and answer this type of questions." This is annoying that a user mentions shit ton of 20 GAGers along with some emojis and kind words, Every. Single. Day.

I know you are my friend & you respect & care about me but it doesn't mean that you need to validate that by writing my name on every question like "Who's the most handsome/sexy/creative/intelligent/kindest/nice/helpful/honest etc. GAGer?" and I was being mentioned in every one of them. Really? I certainly am not everything what you said. If I were, I'd not be sitting here in my room wasting time in front of my PC every day. I have serious flaws.

Because of this, people started to criticise me that "you achieved all this (IDK what?) just because you're popular". I mean that's blunt insult on my character & integrity. Whatever I am today is all because of the good things I did in my past.

Such questions easily get 40+ opinions but users asking for relationship help barely receive only 2-3 opinions and xper hunters blindly submit there. This is killing the site. These questions were fun back then because they were asked in moderation.

Guidelines sux too. Since when "Post a selfie" be considered a question? It is request, not question.

It is good for new users because it helps them to get a verification that they're real people who'd be taken seriously because a lot of people tend to opine "Troll alert" even tho he/she is is honestly asking but no one raises voice against pop ones.

#TLDR
    Is it necessary? You heard about Bobair? He's an author having 55% MH over 5 yo user and his takes got 100+ opinions when takes were considered shit. Does he get mentioned? No.

Will they stop? No, unless new guidelines are introduced

Is worth it? It's so easy to get compliments online. Prove yourself in real world. Then you'll realise your real worth. This is sheer wastage of precious time and money.

Now, I use this site for not more than 2 hours & for serious purposes only. I spend my time with family, friends, music, games and studies! I'm happier than ever and on my path to success :)

PS: This wasn't rant. I don't even know how to rant :/ I am little lonely warrior
    orig13.deviantart.net/.../...y_skrabik-d32lxp2.jpg

• users will get bored of it.
    but like you said, new ones will find it interesting. maybe it will get less but I don't think it will completely stop.

• Nope probably not.

• No I do not the only way the popularity contest will end if gag shuts down or everyone leaves leaving no gagers left on gag.

• Dunno dun care 😤

• No, it won't.

• For me it finished before it started

• Yeah I also find it difficult to concentrate on "who not to forget" haha... and I try to answer max one of those a week :D

• it's how it works, get over it.

• Life's one big popularity contest.

• No one is popular to me.

What Girls Said 6

• I don't see anything wrong with mentioning people or what you like/admire about them, this site is full of negativity, it's refreshing to see people complimenting each other.

I'm going to be honest, I only like a handful of the "popular" people on here, I really don't like some of them, so being popular doesn't automatically mean that people like them lol.

I tend to like a lot of people who go pretty unnoticed for whatever reason a lot of the time.

• I know love, I know what you're trying to say but sometimes they're all asked on the same day! ahha

• lol I could imagine if you liked a lot of people on here, it would be exhausting to name everyone, I don't blame you for skipping those questions :)

• I haven't seen any since I've been back. .. but I don't know I could careless about who is hot or whatever fill in the blank question they have. .

• Probably not.

• no. the popularity contest started when the mention feature was added and will likely disappear if the mention feature is removed. however, the mention feature serves a functional purpose and i'd keep it around for that purpose.

as for me, i will usually answer these popularity questions jokingly - like answering, "it's you anon!". there was a time when people were asking who underrated gaggers are but instead of mentioning them, i'd just list their names.

i've had the fortune of making some bonds here, but their really is not need for mentioning. they know who they are.

• Popularity contests exist everywhere! 😀

• Nope. Is it important? depends on who you ask. I couldn't care less. I come on this site to give advice and learn something new. Who people fancy is not my business. I don't need another high school experience x_x