Why should the Japanese forgive the Americans if the Americans haven't forgiven what happened on 9/11?

Just trying to be rational here

Most Helpful Girl

• they don't need to at all. I couldn't imagine forgiving someone for what the usa did to japan.

• and japan is so tiny, like smaller than 1/100th of the usa.

• @Vesuvius87 why are you commenting on mine? comment on yours.

• thanks for mh!

Most Helpful Guy

• Two Nuclear bombs vs. Two planes?

I don't see why the Japanese should forgive us, but I think it's safe to say we have been apologizing with our dollars since then.

What Girls Said 12

• I don't care about 911 because 1 billion people in this world live on less than a dollar and day and 1 in 4 people in this world suffer from stunted growth due to malnutrition. Why do these unbelieving idiots behave as if American lives are more valuable than African lives? All humans are created in the image of God no matter what their colour, language, race or religion is.

• It's not that simple. You can't just simplify serious situations like that and act like they are the same thing.

• Do you believe 9/11 was caused by Al Qeada?

• @Esplorare
      This post is 18 days old!
      Did I insult you in any way?

• @jacquesvol Pardon me, I have other things going on in my life besides staring at a screen and replying to GAG notifications 24/7. -_-

Whether you insulted me or not, you continuously insert yourself into dialogues on my answers where your presence was not requested. Why is that?

• nationalistic pride and righteousness is incredibly thick in japan.

people here don't feel guilt for war crimes.

recently there have been a lot of programs on the subject (including based-on-a-true-story type movies showing japan as a faultless victim of world war 2) airing with the producers saying they want to educate the younger generations.

i think it's hilarious. i laugh everyday.

• Not saying the Japanese were innocent I am aware of their attack on pearl harbor, but what they did was nowhere near as bad what the u. s. did to Hiroshima and Nagasaki the people of today's generation are still suffering from birth defects cause of it.

• @jacquesvol they have apologized and the entire country will forever be unable to protect themselves in any way because people will always call them nazis if they ever try to conserve anything

• " if they ever try to conserve anything " The, Sir, must be joking.
      You didn't see them handle the Greek 'crisis'? They won 100 bn from it
      news.yahoo.com/...eece-crisis-study-004849827.html

And it was planned: www.thepressproject.gr/details_en.php?aid=61869

• my high school history teacher visited and taught in Japan at one time. he said they don't barely touch on world war 2 or hiroshima other than to say it happened.

japan, like most Asian countries has a culture of shame. if something bad has happened on their side, best hide it under the rug.

the US however, is a culture of guilt. we talk about bad things ad nauseum.

• My HS teachers in Belgium barely touched on world war 2 or Hiroshima. They didn't talk about the Holocaust or the Hodomor either. Recent history was considered 'politics' and politics were prohibited at school. But I got a lot of information through reading books then. (And members of my family died in the Holocaust)

• Probably because WWII is already long past, Japan and US have long been allies ever since it's not on the minds of the younger generation, while 9/11 wasn't so long ago. It happened during our generation. Big difference in time.

• That's what the Japs want you Americans to think

• My aunt died last year. A very strong woman.

• When she died the city council gave her name to a square.

• How about forgive but not forget?

• One was necessary and the other was just plain terrorism.

• When the government kills its terrorism when its anybody else its not.

• @jacquesvol Eh that's war for you, rational thinking is the last thing we should expect during it what with everything blowing up around you.
      I'm not saying what the U. S. did was justified but neither was what they did on Pearl Harbor. In the end we all do what we feel is necessary, that's the sad truth of life.

• Pearl Harbour was a military base, not two cities with 200,000 civilians. It was used to control and disrupt Japanese imports.

• Americans are overrated! :P

• Is that why people all over the world are desperate to come here?

• @Esplorare I have lived in America for over 15 years! So no, I am not ignorant. Nor do I think Americans (nor anyone else) should be living to impress anyone? I really dont know where you got that from what I commented.

• You sound very judgmental

• why do we keep doing these type of comparisons? 9/11 was a deliberate terrorist act that was specifically done to kill innocent people.

Japan attacked us, we were in a very bloody war with them. Hiroshima and Nagasaki were both military targets.

Have you ever considered how many people would have die if we didn't drop the bombs?

• America was already winning out of pride and ego America bombed them they were losing just not surrendering And I guess you think terrorism isn't okay but when the government kills people it is.

• Its getting to pretty obvious your just America bashing or trying to do some mental gymnastics to justify Muslim atrocities. So Im going be done with this after i shot down this one im going to be done with you. its really hard to deal with all the goal post moving that you are doing.

You arnt giving any details so i can say for sure. But it sounds like a very small group of people that did that. I would like to know were they specifically targeting innocent people? Were terrorists hiding, staging attacks, hiding weapons... among civilians?

The US typically goes out of its way to avoid civilian causalities. Can you say the same for the other side?

• When you air strike a country that's not going out of the way to avoid killing innocent civilians. When you go to countries like Libya and bomb and kill innocent people in the process that's not avoiding to kill innocent civilians, when you go to Afghanistan and kill 11,000 people that's not avoidance, when your cuontry gives Saddam weapons to fight against the Iranians to a guy who used to be an Assassin before he became the president that's not avoidance, there are videos of this I could show this to you too wanna see? I bet you don't because either A you don't wanna see that type of violence which is understandable or B you don't wanna see the truth.

• oh... my god

• Because Japan does not have oil so Americans don't care

• well the americans caused it upon themselves
    and caused it upon the japanese so...

What Guys Said 19

• Americans always prefer war over peace.

The Japanese should forgive Americans because it'd be smart,
    not to become what you despise the most.

Peaceful solutions are always the best.

Especially with this hell of an economy !
    How long we been in debt again? ;p

• No we don't. We wanted to stay out of WWII, but we were forced to do something or else Germany would take over all of Europe. And then we were attacked. After WWII America became the world's greatest power, A. K. A the "cop". So basically we have to interfere even if we don't want to.

• why are you capitalizing we? Just say we. USA did agree to such circumstances. If we didn't, we wouldn't be in the UN. If we don't prevent other countries from gaining power, we will lose power.

• @J-Thug Those capitalization is me emphasizing the word. ;P
      What's the point in preventing others from gaining power when it's only peace that they seek.

Americans are a bunch of hypocrites, were practically stating that if you don't live in the US, we won't give you absolute freedom, and 'we' only say that cause 'were' the ones with the most power currently.

More importantly, why should have we shown that we had more power, it would've been a lot cleaner if they noticed we don't have much , wait for their plan to declare war or peace, and whatever they choose, we retaliate with proper means.

Meaning, if they attack, they all will die.
      I'm almost positive most of America would not feel guilty
      sending a giant bomb anywhere that isn't here.

Power means nothing when one abuses it rather than using it at proper time.

• Because it was a long time ago American gave them a TON of money and military protection to rebuild there islands

• Japan attacks the US, Japanese forgive the Americans for?
    Al Qaeda attacks the US, Americans forgive Al Qaeda for?

• Bush did 9/11...

• American attacks on Japan were preceded by leaflet drops warning residents of a devastating attack within the week. The purpose of the attacks was to get Japan to surrender. Japan surrendered and the attacks stopped.

There is no similarity between that and ANY attack by terrorists.

• The government killing people doesn't make them any less terrorists.

• That was a pretty unconvincing non sequitur.

• And I suppose you also believe that JFK only got shot by one bullet lol

• Why should they? The dropping of the atomic bomb was unnecessary.

• Because what America did was necessary to end World War 2. Japan would never surrender.

• Japan was negociating with the US through diplomatic channels but Truman wanted to show Stalin his military nuclear force

• Okie first off that's not my opinion but I can say there opinion if they said that they would say what we did was necessary to prove that we exist what would u say to that I hope please that u be rational I swear it's not my opinion

• Because the U. S. didn't do anything wrong in WWII. Hell, we could have let Japan rot. Instead we rebuilt them from the ground up. They're doing pretty well now.

• ... I beg your pardon?

• we did that almost 70 years ago compared to only 15 years. also japan attacked us first

• Are you retarded or just stupid?
    The nuclear bombs dropped actually saved lives. Look it up.

• Well, pearl harbor, was an inside job, in order to get the USA to enter world war 2 so...
    yeah... the japanese had to forgive and forget... because they wouldn't be able to battle us again... victoriously

• Cause I feel we should forgive, but never forget.

*Not forcing my ideology on anyone* Just sayin

• Americans should forgive Al Qaeda for what they suffered on 9/11?

• Japanese should forgive America for blowing up 2 of their big cities and causing over decades or mutations to their people?

• @jacquesvol it wa 3,000 people who died on 9.11 not 4000

• Americans heven't forgiven the loss of a few ships at Pearl Harbour yet.

• Because alqaeda and ISIS Haven't apologized, and likely never will.

• Why apologize for something you never did?

• What are you talking about? Alquaeda sent that plane into the buildings. Alquada *did* do 9/11.

• Because one was forced by the Japanese and the other was needless lives lost.

• They shouldn't, but I find Japanese pacifism exceedingly naive and unrealistic especially in a hostile neighborhood.

• "Just trying to be rational here"

That could be the funniest thing I have ever read on GaG.

• Forgiving doesn't benefit the offender, it helps the offended. Forgive and you shall be forgiven.