Do you think it's more ok for girls to be afraid than for guys?

I went out on a date a few days back and he was quite adventerous. Like he hiked through alaska alone for 3 months, canoed through mexico for 2 months, he was cliff jumping while travling thoruugh Ireland, skiing like outside the slopes, cave climbing in thailand and for all of those things I said it would have scared me to death and I would have never done it.

At some point he said "you're afraid of a lot of things" and smiled and then went on saying "but it's ok, you're a girl "
And I supposed he meant it, he did ask for a second date.
Anyways I never thought that was a bad thing, being afraid of things that are clearly dangerous, but he made it sound like it is. Well if you're a guy at least. And from what he was saying it sounded like the only reason it's ok for girls to be afraid is that he thinks of women as less capable

Just made wondering what other people think? A few of my guy friends said "It's just how it is, we all think it and he said it"
Is it just a difference between and women? Am I just too politcally correct? Just looking for opinions because he was good company otherwise and I'm evaluating if I should go on a second date.

The same attitude kinda came through in some other points though. Like I asked if those are things he would want to continue with a partner and he said no right away because he doesn't think a woman should do it and he's not gay.

Most Helpful Guy

• Are there differences between men and women? Yes. But you can't paint each other broadly. Two women just graduated from US ARMY ranger school this summer. I can promise you they would not be scared of what he has done.

There are many men that would not do as he has done for that matter.

So you have to be careful painting anyone with broad brush strokes.

It sounds like he is a little immature and doesn't get rhat yet. You have to decide if he can change that opinion. If not, he is probably not for you.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's just a difference in interests. I'd love to do all of what he did! That'd be so fun and that would make such good memories and accomplishments. I understand your reaction too, it's quite impressive and intimidating! But don't you find it attractive? That dude freakin' lived! He went almost all around the world and it's really cool!
    You could probably really surprise him if you said (and meant it) that you would be down to follow him on one of his adventures.

• It's attractive in a way but also I feel needlessly reckless and I wonder if we were married and had kids would he still just take off and do stuff like that

And like I told another commentator I would hike through alaska but like it has to be safe I wouldn't risk my life doing it, which I think he did. He said he lived off mainly what he shot and hunting by nature a uncertain source of calories. I don't know I just wouldn't do it that way.
      I'm not opposed to adventurous travel in general. But to that he said that it's not really an adventure if it's all safe. But it's ok I feel that way, because I'm a girl

What Guys Said 3

• I think a guy would not say it "scares" him. At least I would say something like I value my life and that risk is not worth taking. It's not about being scared it's more about doing something unreasonable. Some people just need that kick, but you see, he hiked through Alaska alone, probably couldn't find anyone willing to join him. Most people aren't like that and snakes do scare the shit out of me. Nothing wrong with admitting that.

• I would hike through alaska but like it has to be safe I wouldn't risk my life doing it, which I think he did. He said he lived off mainly what he shot and hunting by nature a uncertain source of calories. I don't know I just wouldn't do it that way.

• Yeah same for me. It has to be safe and I would not want to live off of nature. I've seen how that ends in the movie "Into the wild". I don't need that. :D

• i was hiking with a good friend of mine... even for 2 guys it´s dangerous. you can´t be so naive and ignore the risks. i think hiking alone as a girl is way more dangerous... maybe he said "it´s ok" because he knows that the risks are no joke.

• that's what I was saying I didn't think it would be wrong to be afraid of something dangerous but he seemed to imply there is and if you're a girl well you have an excuse

• but well the whole point was the he didn't meet a single soul the whole three months

• when it comes to a survival situation, guys are usually better equiped to make it out of it... man that sounds so sexist. i´m not saying a girl can´t be that good but it´s just a matter of physical strength.

• Being a coward as a male has traditionally been viewed as worse than being a cheater, liar, etc.

What Girls Said 1

• i think both genders are equal.