NO pilots in the future?

Would you fly on a pilotless plane?
I honestly don't know how to feel about this. This may well mean there may no longer be futures for us (pilots) in the skies as the technology of aeronautics evolve. Until then, I hope this isn't happening any time in the future. For now, I should embrace the ability to be behind those magnificent controls that deflect the airflow and dictate the nature of it...

Source: http://www.BBC.com/future/story/20130502-pilotless-planes-plan-to-take-off

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• I think human judgment will still be necessary. I am reminded of a recent Airbus A330 crash, an Air France Flight 447 going from Brazil to Paris, where the computer overrode the judgment of the captain, "splitting the difference" with the junior officer, and actually caused the plane to crash. Pilot and pundit Bill Whittle explains:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwNn7VlnczQ

timothyjhammons.com/.../

"The Airbus, made by France, decided to make the plane smarter than the pilots. Instead of the plane responding to the captain in the stall created by the smartness of the plane itself, it averaged the response between the captain of the plane, and the junior officer in the right hand seat of the cockpit. The end result: it crashed into the Atlantic."

• An Airbus is a Scarebus. If it's not a Boeing, you shouldn't be going. Okay, I joke. But the lack of tactile controls, and the computer overriding the pilot, *led* to that Air France tragedy, and that sadly is not a joke at all...

What Guys Said 9

• Someone would still have to fly them but it would be remotely. I don't see the technology advancing very fast for a totally hands off artificial intelligence plane. I think the first applications would be military. By the way the US Navy pilots land on carriers with hand only on the throttle. They land at full throttle in case they miss the wire. Other than that the plane lands itself

• I don't know. Theyve managed to develop aircraft that cuts off the flight engineers.

• They learned to lessen the pilots workload. I don't think a whole lot has changed other than avionics which lessened the workload so the pilot and copilot could assume the duties

• Eh.
    Before pilotless planes become a reality , I reckon telecommunication would be at the point where holograms become one and effectively removes the need for long distance traveling.

• With pilots, the path of flight is customizable meaning pilots have the upper-hand of flexibility when diverting from poor weather conditions (flying into towering cumulus/cumulonimbus, microbursts, line squalls). Also, what about emergency situations where there would be an engine failure or the undercarriage fails? How will any advanced technoligcal systems identify the cause, customize the siutations according to weather conditions, weight of the aircraft, landscape environment etc, better than humans? Computers are not so versatile and rigid, just following programs and codes.

They've even developed robocalls to replace telemarketers I have heard?

• Pretty sure computer scientists can write protocols into the ai for that.
      We are going have computers that exceed human brainpower in a few years anyway. Just a matter of time before customers are comfortable with the idea of self flying planes

• Well isn't autopilot already engaged most of the time?
    Thing is our world is entering an age where most things will be automated but I'm sure baristas will be replaced with machines long before you are.
    On the one hand I'm all for automation since I don't really care who or what is flying the plane as long as I get to my destination safely especially since with a pilotless plane it would be cheaper to fly. However I'm not comfortable with the idea of people losing their jobs.

I'm sure that there will always be private chartered flights though so pilots will always be needed but maybe not so many as now.

• -If you have a computer flying the plain it can be hacked and used like in 9-11 more often and with nothing anyone on the plain can do about it

• Sounds cool and like they would save a lot of money by not paying pilots.

• They pay us a median of $80000. Not totally impossible happening in the future. Look what the evolution of aircraft did to flight engineers. They no longer exist.

• A hackers wet dream.

• A human pilot should always be on board for backup at the least

• Human intuition is always better than a bunch of programmed texts that are not versatile and malleable.

• I would fly provided they are like drones and do not fall out of sky.

• I think it's a shame as many people love/woulld love to fly planes. But yeah I would still fly, they will probably be even safer than they are now. The technology in the plane does most the flying anyway these days. And they won't let planes fly with automatic pilots until it is totally safe

What Girls Said 2