First time driving?

if about 3-4 hours I am going to start learning how to drive. Im nervous. I've put it off for a few years.

1- how long did you practice before going on an actual road?
2- how do you get use to driving the speed limit w/o looking at the meter?
3- how long did it take for you to get good at backing up in a spot?
4- is looking over your shoulder, to the right, to see if you cacn switch lanes hard?
5- when you make a left turn, how do you manage not to hit the curb while you are turning (not the one where your stopped by, by the one on street you are about to be on. if you understand? sorry)
6- for your drivers test did you get to use your own car or DMVs? (I know it might be different in other states. im in VA)

im sorry these are probably stupid but im getting so much anixety over this
if there are any tips you want to give me that would be great. (im driving an automatic)
tell me what you were nervous about and tell me how you got through it
anything
thank you

Most Helpful Guy

• 1- how long did you practice before going on an actual road?
    My first time driving was without any practice and I drove my friends car illegally without a license. Safe to say it was scary. My first time driving legally was on the road was after I got my driving permit and hired an instructor so it scary for the first 10 minutes, but he did a great job teaching me.
    I never paid much attention to the speed limit.
    It depends on vehicle, because of back up cameras I can't park any large vehicles without it anymore. My first car didn't have a camera and it took a good 3-4 months.
    Not at all, but it can be dangerous if you look too long while driving fast in congested freeways.
    Go forward a bit before you start to turn. Space needed varies depending on vehicle.
    I did not, my parents would no way in hell let me use their car for that. I had my driving instructor bring me with his car.

Most Helpful Girl

They just started taking me on back roads to drive. Once I could drive back roads, my instructors put me on busy streets.
    I still check my speed limit sometimes.
    A while, but it depends on the person. A lot of people I know are good at it.
    Nope. Eventually it's just something that's instinct.
    5- when you make a left turn, how do you manage not to hit the curb while you are turning
    I don't know. It's something that never happened or I thought about.
    6- for your drivers test did you get to use your own car or DMVs? I used the instructors car.

What Guys Said 3

• I would highly recommend you go to a driving school

• 1. I was fifteen
    2. My parents watched the meter
    3. I never backed up
    4. no its not, use your mirrors though
    . we could use our own car in Tennessee and here in NC too

• Didn't get my licence until I was twenty-one. Practiced for about six months with my friend while I had a permit.

What Girls Said 1

• I never an actual car before. Does a karting car count?