What’s the point of eating in restaurants since portions are small and expensive?

But still many people do…. so bizarre isn’t it?

Unless someone has a serious lack of cookin skills…to da point he/she cannot make more than 2-3 meals…I don’t see wot’s da point of it?

For xample pasta’s a ridiculously easy food….. and u can make a bigger and cheaper portion on yer home…y u should go to a restaurant to have some super-xpensive kid-size portion of pasta? :|

Most Helpful Girl

• The restaurants have to make money somehow.

Sometimes when you go to the restaurants, you expect it to be massive proportions of food but when the dishes come out, they are are pretty damn small. I assume after experiences like that, customers will stop going.

Then you have celebrity chefs who charge an arm and a leg for a 20 cent piece meal. Some people will actually purchase eating food from celeb chefs to just experience it and tell everyone they ate there.

• celebs ma ass... sad to see so many people doin dis...

• Yeah, you'll be surprised..

Most Helpful Guy

• Come to America, you'll know what a big portion of food is xD
    When I first got here I asked for a sandwich and when she came with the plate I thought she was gonna feed the whole restaurant with that sandwich xD

Usually the most expensive and "chic" restaurants are the ones that serve smaller portions, which is ridiculous, cause I'm spending $20 on that plate that I eat in less than 3 bites.

• ya i've heard about American portions being bigger... does it happen on those "chic" restaurants as well or not?

• I don't know, I haven't gone to a "chic" restaurant in America xD Too expensive for a student haha

What Girls Said 11

• I actually Prefer to Eat at a Chinese Buffet many times, @Klaatu51.
    Yes, most portions tend to be Small and Expensive and with going to Get more in store for my money, I also walk out More... Full and fulfilled. xx

• I agree with you! It's ridiculous to buy easy ready made food you can prepare yourself, and make it tastier and healthier, like pasta. And there exist some restaurands where they charge a lot for a small portion.. When I go out to eat, I prefer places with regular servings or big servings I can share with another person, in nice prices. I usually pick food I rarely eat at home, or is difficult to prepare.

• It's for people who eat with the eyes too. My boyfriend heard from a cook that that's what also makes it so expensive. It's not just better quality of food, but also extra time spent on decoration.

• WTF?

who cares about decoration? since when restaurants r museums?

• E. g. the people who like to take pictures before they start eating xD

I read somewhere that people eat less when the food they eat is pleasing to the eye too.

• food decoration's nice... but when u wanna eat... who cares?

• We go out for food we normally don't make at home.
    Food is not only about portions and price, it's about the skill and work that goes into a 5 course gourmet dinner. You can just sit, have a good wine and enjoy your company.

"Easy" food in a restaurant is not expensive and saves you all the preparation and clean up time.

• I don't know about most places. But at where I grew up at and in Australia, the portion of food is rather big till I could barely finish it most of the time. I'm definitely not a small eater in case you're wondering.

Those restaurants that sell small portion of food for a large amount of money are usually those elegant restaurants that people go to where they only love to take pictures of their food. The more the food is pleasing to their eyes, the less they will eat.

• Because any idiot can hear a ton of beans, good ingredients prepared by skilled professionals can be an experience, a treat, taste wonderful.

The portions in a good restaurant won't be small, they should be just the right size to leave room for a pudding or to have a starter.

It's a nice experience to go out with friends or partners and enjoy great food, nice wine in a nice environment.

• Well I dunno where your live but in Ireland most places give big portions for a pretty good price I know place where you get a main and desert and drinks for 7 euro which is pretty good but I only go every now and then

• depends on WOT kind of restaurant's... those elegant restaurants have small portions and big prices... they r rdiculous af...

• Confused is right Klaatu us irish don't do flashy restaurants.

• The food is still great tho I think and cheap

• Restaurant food is overrated

• The restaurants I go to dont really have small portions. I almost always bring some home! Also.. going to a restaurant is not just for the food. Some people go to celebrate something, or to take a night off cooking, to meet with friends or work partners. Some things are also cheaper to order at a restaurant than make on your own.

• "Some things are also cheaper to order at a restaurant than make on your own."

^really? o_O

• hmmmm maybe u r right about pizza at least... u need money for ingrendients...

• Same with many sweets.

• it's for people who also eat with their eyes and appreciate atmosphere
    sometimes they'll eat out to try food they normally can't or won't make at home

• "sometimes they'll eat out to try food they normally can't"

^ok about it... but they just wanna have a TASTE... so y xpensive?

• many factors - plating, atmosphere, ingredients used, chef's reputation, restaurant's reputation

• i couldn't care less about rep tbh...

after all i hardly eat at restaurants... i can make da same food at my home... cheaper bigger n better... ;)

• I go to restaurants to eat things I don't cook for myself on a regular basis. Another reason is also the atmosphere. Yes, I could do a home dinner instead with the bill's worth of a restaurant, but it's a different experience altogether.

What Guys Said 7

• I must have a small appetite - I am always stuffed after restaurant meals - The only time the portions would be too small for me would be one of those pretentious cordon bleu restaurants and if you go to one of them you deserve to be fleeced.

• yup dat's wot i'm talkin about... small portions/big prices...

• Usually at restaurants I go to I get pretty good sized portions. Even the one time I went to a "fancy" restaurant, I still got a lot. So much that I couldn't finished everything which is rare for me. It was an expensive meal so it was worth it.

• Not all restaurants are like that.

• Sometimes quality is better than quantity

• To change things up once in a while and eat stuff we normally can't make or eat at home.

• People hate to do the dishes... it's a well known fact.

• Cooking is tough work.