Which is worse for you: alcohol or marijuana?

I'm interested to see people's views on this because many people on here have a huge problem dating someone who smokes weed but have no problem with them drinking alcohol. I don't understand how people can be accepting of one and not the other.

Would you rather date someone who drank alcohol or smoked marijuana?

• Alcohol
  • Marijuana
  • It's the same
Poll is for which one is worse.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm biased against alcohol because my stepfather's a total alcoholic and he's a dick, all the time but especially when he's drinking.

In my experience alcohol is more likely to make people violent.

The issue with weed is that you tend to smoke it which is obviously an issue because smoking raises your risk of getting cancer a lot. I've lived with a guy who smoked a lot of weed also and he was constantly coughing and retching, because the smoke damaged his throat I think, but that's more about smoking than the weed itself.

Alcohol is also extremely harmful to your health though and on top of that is way more physically addictive.

I know weed has been linked with schizophrenia in men.. but I'm not very knowledgeable about this.

The issue of weed being a 'gateway drug' is pretty nonsensical to me because literally that would stop being a problem if it were legal.

Also I'm very much in favour of hemp because using it to make paper would be very environmentally friendly, and it can be used in various prescription medicines, and it just has a lot of uses as well as for getting high

I'd rather date someone who smoked weed than who drank a lot

Most Helpful Guy

• I think both are likely bad for you, just in different ways and to different degrees.

I'm kinda of the opinion that alcohol is almost always bad for you. I mean, yeah, sure, there are studies about alcohol consumption in moderation being beneficial for blood pressure and antioxidants, but a quick jog and a pitcher of green tea can give you the same thing and be healthier.

Marijuana, on the other hand, gets a lot of free passes because it's "natural," etc., but smoking ANYTHING isn't gonna be good for a person. I could smoke a bundle of organic kale, for example, and it ain't gonna be good for me. LOL it's just a terrible drug delivery system.

Edible marijuana is probably the least damaging option, and I don't think my partner having an occasional pot brownie would make me freak the f* out. I mean, every once in a blue moon I pine for a double cheeseburger, and I'm logical enough to realize that it's really not much different, if at all.

My partner smoking marijuana, though, would probably bother me. Unless it was like a super-once-in-a-blue-moon thing. The main thing for me is that I'm super sensitive to smoke, and I also don't wanna be around pot a lot. But I truly don't have a holier than thou attitude about it; it's just not my thing.

What Girls Said 12

• You asked two different questions. Which is worse for you alcohol or pot. Obviously alcohol is worse for you.
    Then in the details you asked would you rather date someone who drank or smoked? Obviously more people drink than smoke and drinking is legal.
    Your poll means nothing 😓

• I corrected that in the update.

• I voted for alcohol before I read the question. Alcohol has been proven time and time again to be worse

• I would rather date someone who drank once a month than someone who smoked weed all the time. But I have a huge aversion to alcohol. So, I could not date anyone who got drunk, especially for fun. I could date someone who smoked once a month but didn't drink.

But my perfect partner wouldn't smoke or drink.

And I think regular alcohol use is a bigger flaw than regular weed smoking.

• Very interesting. I don't smoke or drink either. I was just curious to see how people viewed the two common recreational substances.

• That's awesome of them. My friends wanted me to get high haha.

• Oh mine still ask occasionally but they respect that no means no haha

• I neither drink, nor smoke marijuana. But I think alcohol is much worse.
    -AsPyschoMonkey said it impairs judgement. People who drinks alcohol shouldn't drive. We all know drunk driving is risky. Many got killed in the drink and driving cases, many gets injured.
    My dad had an accident few years ago. He was badly injured...
    -it damages liver
    -It causes cancer
    -It seems like alcohol is more addicting than weed.
    -Many have died from alcohol poisoning.
    Anddd most people act like idiots when they get drunk.
    I would rather be single than date who smokes marijuan or drinks alcohol.

• I think it's the same. Alcohol affects brains cells and so does marijuana. Alcohol damages the liver, whilst smoking marijuana would understandably damage the lungs like smoking a cigarette would.

• It's equally damaging in various stages. Alcohol has the immediate effects, most will be addicted to marijuana which will lead onto eventual fatality. Some can even have a bad reaction straight away so the element of danger can apply to both. Drink in moderation and as an adult, absolutely do not smoke marijuana or other drugs. All the medical marijuana is just a gateway to make it legal its completely shit at the end of the day.

• May I ask how marijuana leads to the person dying?

• Besides psychosis and looking like a fool... the physiology damages are decreased immune system and testorone not to mention after a while there can be lesions in the brain (strokes) Also it's not just about the health that can shorten lifespan but it's what you do can kill because your perspective is distorted, such as in the workplace, driving etc.

• I'd rather get in a car with someone who smoked as opposed to drank. Also, should an argue meant occur I prefer it to be with a pot head than a drunk. I see no problem with either as long as it's recreational as opposed to a lifestyle.

• Right I'm talking casual drinking and smoking not like full on alcoholic or stoner.

• I'm accepting of both because I have done both. Lots. I drink too much for my own good so who am I to tell someone to stop smoking so much weed? I would date someone who did either or or both.

• wait, I don't know if I put alcohol or weed. I would rather not date a drunk, they become very abusive in some cases... plus it could kill your liver. weed just numbs/ slows downs the 5 senses...

• weed, because I've seen people go crazy on it. but most people smoke it now, and I've smoked a little myself, so you won't get a lot of yes answers.

• also you need to drink a lot to get wasted, but you can get high from weed so easily, so I feel like it's easier to use weed.

• Don't you people know something called MAYBE and BOTH jesus

• It's the same. Know your limits and its fine.

• i think its the same.

What Guys Said 31

• Politically, I'm much more accepting of pot than alcohol. As @throwit said, alcohol is much worse than marijuana, not just medically speaking but also socially speaking. For example have I never ever heard of a pot head beating his wife or girlfriend. Pot heads also don't walk around outside in the middle of the night and beat down random innocent pedestrians.
    However, personally I neither smoke nor drink alcohol (I used to rarely smoke pot but don't do it anymore) and so I wouldn't want to date a girl who does either of these things too much. I'm okay with her smoking weed like 5 times a year or drinking a glass of wine once in a blue moon but it shouldn't be more than that. It doesn't have any ideological reasons, I just want my girlfriend to live a healthy lifestyle. My actual girlfriend changed my diet quite a bit for example. She's east Asian and eats super healthily. Because of her I have dramatically decreased my consumption of salt and meat and I'm quite thankful for her effort to change me in this ;-).

• Personally, I find the smell of marijuana absolutely intolerable. I understand that there are different strains that may not have a smell that is quite as offensive to me, but I'm not super eager to find out. It's not terribly high up on my to-do list.

• There are streets in Amsterdam you'll want to avoid in summer because of the weed stench of the junkies.

• While I personally don't have hangups with weed, I would still rather date someone who drinks regularly than someone who smokes regularly.

This isn't true for all people, but in general people who smoke regularly don't work towards a better life. I'm going places with my life and I want a partner who is doing the same. Now if my partner has goals and is working towards them, while regularly smoking on the side then I'd be ok with that. Just not in my car. We have some pretty stupid laws as a country when it comes to weed

• Both sides can argue that one is worse then the other but really regardless of which one you do you the have a risk of becoming an alcoholic or getting hooked on more potent and deadly drugs.

I would say Alcohol is the less worse of the two because some of the drugs that you can get hooked on are pretty scary, I mean a few years back this guy in California I think overdosed on some sort of crazy street drug and went insane or something, killed some guy and ate him.

Now I'm not saying everyone who smokes marijuana is going to get hooked on other drugs but that is a potential risk that needs to be taken seriously it's use could be used as a gateway drug into far more harmful stuff.

But as I said you run the risk of destroying your life either way, the people doing these things are more the problem then the actual items themselves, I mean sure you could blame the drug or the alcohol but in the end it was the person themselves that took it as far as they did.

• Yeah some people have more addictive personalities than others. I think there's a genetic link to alcoholism too but don't quote me on that.

• Lol I won't.

• Marijuana is a bigger problem because recreational marijuana is still illegal in most states and still federally illegal. Because of this you are not protected from prosecution or from punitive action by your employer or potentially even education, insurance or even credit providers.

That being said recreational marijuana is legal in my state, but clearly still federally illegal and still not protected, but both my girlfriend and I sometimes partake.

• Ah so it's the legal aspect that makes people want to stay away not the potential health effects?
      I come from Massachusetts where more people smoke weed than drink alcohol so it's kind of confusing to see something completely different online haha

• we already are...

• @kiler1000 for better or worse I think we will continue to see a loosening over the next 3-5 years. I think its telling that this has been a non factor in the presidential race for the rep's. Shows me they think its a non winner for them right now.

• I don't have a problem with marijuana per se... i don't do it but the problem i do have is i dislike smoking, it ruins all your clothes and you tend to want to avoid being around them to not have clothes that stink.

Generally people that smoke weed, also tend to smoke tobacco or generally mix the two together so that's offputting. But It is however better than alcohol

• They're both bad. But:
    -About all the bad side effects of alcohol are known and have been studied.
    -Those of cannabis remain largely unkown. We know already that psychosis, cancer are among them.
    The choice between the evil you know and the evil you can not know.

• Well, for me I wouldn't be with a woman who smokes pot. I also wouldn't be with a woman who drinks to excess.

The reason is clear. Like it or not, marijuana is illegal where I live. If I'm caught with it in my car, even if it's not mine, I will lose my job. It's that simple. I have many friends who smoke pot. On a few occasions I had to make it clear that I wouldn't be driving them anywhere if they had any on them, then explained why. All but one understood completely. One of them, more an acquaintance than a friend, threw a bitch fit because I wouldn't drive her home because she had some pot on her. I drove her there, but I didn't know she was carrying it. I explained why as politely and apologetically as I could and I offered to pay for uber or a taxi, but she just bitched and bitched and ended up being driven home by someone else.

• my simple answer is marijuana (the actual smoking of it) has never killed someone the way alcohol can and has

but in moderation neither are very detrimental.

but alcohol is more unhealthy.

• I don't do either but I think alcohol is worse. From what I understand weed can be pretty safe as long as you use a vaporizer.

As far as dating, I wouldn't date a girl who did either of them excessively. Every now and then is fine.

• Apparently, some people even go as far as to say that marijuana is harmless, so if that's the case, then it has to be alcohol that's worse.

That said, to answer your last question, I'd still probably rather date someone who drank alcohol. But I wouldn't date either if they were abusers of the substance.

• I have very little expierence of marijuana and in regard to alcohol a couple of glasses a week won't hurt but once you go beyond that it has serious implications on every aspect of your life.

• They are really hard to compare because they present very different kinds of danger.

I'll put it this way though. I've drank a lot, and smoked a lot. I quit smoking and kept drinking (at a much lower rate than before). I don't mind drinking, but there is no way in hell I'd go back to smoking. The same is true for very large numbers of my friends.

A large majority of smokers quit, but many of them still drink. There is a reason for that, and it has nothing to do with legality. People quit smoking pot because of the adverse affects. Most of the ones who kept drinking, drink moderately and at a relatively healthy rate.

However I actually voted A, but only for single use. I think getting drunk once is worse than getting stoned once. However with regular use, I think it reverses.

• Dating an alcoholic would be worse than a pot head. But I guess it's all about moderation. Someone who absolutely has to smoke everyday is pretty bad, just like dating someone who's at the bar every night throwing back shots is bad too. A light or causal user of either wouldn't really bother me so much.

• I believe being a alcoholic is worse.

But neither of em are really bad for you if you intake in moderation.

• Alcohol is worse by far.

• Your poll is confusing. Your question title asks us which we think is worse, yet the details of the question ask us which person we'd rather date. Which question is the poll for?

• Poll is for which is worse. I added the last question kind of for something people can elaborate on if they want.

• I vastly prefer weed over alcohol, but I wouldn't mind if a potential partner felt the other way around. Just as long as they weren't self-righteous about it.

But if her ideal time would be to sit back, roll one, and watch Miyazaki movies, then yeah for sure.

• Alcohol is poison, but smoking marijuana makes you a criminal, so I voted B).

• Lol good to see at least some educated people on here voting for alcohol

• It's worse kissing someone with ashtray mouth than someone who just had a couple of drinks

• Isn't it pretty well established that alcohol is worse?

• I don't know. I just wanted to see other people's opinions.

• I knew friends in San Francisco that would get medical Marijuana for "depression" lol, it's a joke.

Colorado is raking in nice tax revenue off legalizing pot

• That's probably true.

• drinking=car crashes, murder, rape, suicide, vomiting etc.

weed= laziness

• Marijuana. Alcohol is brutal. It ruins lives, and nobody can deny it. But say, "Marijuana ruins lives" and I will explode with laughter.

• Alcohol impairs your judgement

• @kiler1000
      The guy who wrote that must have been smoking something very strong.

• @jacquesvol don't understand the connection.

• i have a problem with both, my aunt who had custody of me was a heave beer drinker and would beat my ass with shit when she got drunk. so dont think beer is better. ok. 2ndly, my cousin and a friend 2 different times got hit by a pot head

• I voted alcohol for the following reasons, I do not have a problem with Marijuana, but I do not smoke. I'd rather have a girlfriend whose vices match mine. Also Marijuana is a crime in my state and I'd hate to have to deal with the legal ramifications of purchasing it and it being in our home.

• i hate drugs.

• Its the perception which is against alcohol atm. Nobody creates a scene after having marijuana.

• none of them is bad.

• Alcohol is far worst. Weed isn't bad. All it does is make you forget stuff an slower.

Alcohol literally kills people.

• More from Guys
    1