Does anyone else feel strange around cops?

I've heard a lot of news about cops using their powers to abuse others who are in the minority. And personally, I've never talked to any cop before, so everytime I'm near them, I feel a bit curious. Like almost a childlike type of curious if that makes sense. And I'm not afraid of them at all but I get this strange (not negative strange) feeling inside. Do any of you experience that as well?

Most Helpful Guy

• Im mixed race and I dont really like the cops. I appreciate what the good cops do but it still doesn't feel right. I think this stems from a time when I was 9 years old and I was messing with a public phone dialing 911. The copper came, and some white kid my age pointed his fingers at me. He proceeded to take my details AT THE AGE OF 9

Most Helpful Girl

• Mostly when I'm driving, because I've gotten so many speeding tickets that I only have 1 point left, so I pretty much drive like a grandma now because I'm so paranoid about losing my license lmao.
    Other than that, the way I feel about cops changes depending on where I am. I'm from Quebec, Canada and I've grown up on a reservation beside a small French town and I've also grown up in two cities in Quebec and Ontario. The cops that are hired on the reservation are Aboriginal and usually from our reservation so we all know who they are and they're really great people. The only people who don't like them are generally criminals, but everyone else thinks the cops are great people, including me. However, the cops in the neighbouring town are very racist and are even racist towards the Aboriginal cops. Dealing with them is never a good experience and I do feel kind of on guard when I see them around, just because they tend to pull Aboriginals over for no reason as well as approach us and question us about what we were doing. It's not on the same level as the whole Ferguson situation, no one's ever been shot and it's never violent, but you definitely feel more watched and judged than other people. Even the way they talk to us is different than when they talk to other non-Aboriginals. They're a lot kinder to them than they are to us. The cops that I've seen in the cities that I've lived in are a lot kinder than the small-town cops though, possibly because it's a more multi-cultural area so they've learned more acceptance and tolerance, and it's also easy to mistake Aboriginals as another race. So yeah, that's what I think of cops in Canada. The ones I know personally are really great and truly are heroes, but the small-town Quebecois cops are kind of racist.

What Guys Said 13

• i don't feel strange around cops, i just fucking feel like shit because i get pulled over for stupid shit lol.

• Every cop I've ever dealt with, both professionally and as a private citizen, has been absolutely fine with me.

• Only when I'm driving.

• I used to but I've done a lot of security jobs that had me working beside the police. Now I just kinda see them as people doing a job.

• They're just the same as us.
    You have no need to be the police that I have met and spoke to seemed okay.

• I feel it too. They are cheating corrupt people 95% who have sold their mother for a pack of cigarettes.
    They do it and are shameless. Helping the bad people.

• I'm gonna go with no.

• No, I get nervous.

• I am white and have never really trusted them.

• I kind of feel guilty even though I know I have done nothing wrong.

• Most cops are fine; there are the occasional bad apples, just as there are in any occupation. I don't have a problem being around them, but I always go out of my way to be respectful and avoid getting on their bad side. They are carrying guns and nightsticks, after all.

• Nah. I deal with cops all the time due to shoplifters. Those bastards (shoplifters) are everywhere stealing stuff every hour

• Just talk to them

What Girls Said 9

• I don't feel curious, I just feel incredibly uncomfortable.

• Only if I think they're coming for me. I once went to a police station barefoot and my feet wounded from walking to find the hotel. I couldn't walk straight, they thought I was drunk! They gave me directions. It was pretty comfortable, I was on a vacation.

But when the police showed up at the door at home I felt physically sick. I've done some shoplifting and said a lot of things about the government online, I was sure they'd take me to jail and torture me. Turns out it was the lawsuit I filled against a girl who beat me up. I literally went from happy to dying to happy in about 3 minutes.

• I get a negative feeling because where I am they are full of shit in general. Even the phone operators.

• Fuck the pigs

• I generally do not, but I don't engage in the kind of behaviors that get people in trouble with the police either. That's a biog help.

• My boyfriend's mom is a cop so I had to get used to the idea of being around one frequently. Before though, cops made me nervous. I'm not really sure why.

• I don't, unless I'm off-duty.

• I don't feel strange around cops. I'm not a criminal or anything, lol.

• No, not at all. I have done nothing to warrant suspicion. It could be because I'm in a better area, though, and that doesn't really happen around heer. I think it's terrible when people abuse power and do things to others unjustly.