What position in the office is the highest ranking politician you've met?

President?
Chancellor?
Prime Minister?
Minister?
Senator?
Mayor?
Governor?
Congressman?
Small town Councillor?
etc etc

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends on how you define "to meet". The highest ranking politician I've actually had a chat with is a member of our national legislature, so the American equivalent would be a Congressman. The reason I met him was that I am in the same party and I went to a panel discussion that was held as a campaigning event and where he was a speaker. I used to be politically active myself (not so much anymore now) and I was myself running for a seat in our regional legislature (so that would be the state legislature/general assembly of the state you live in, in America). Of course I wanted to use the opportunity and do some networking ;-).
    However, I've also met several members of our federal council, though I didn't talk to them, I just saw them or stood next to them. In Switzerland, we don't have one single president or one single chancellor. Instead, our national executive branch (so the president or prime minister or chancellor in most other countries) consists of 7 people. Together they form the federal council. They are all presidents and ministers of the country at the same time and govern the country as a team (the 7-person team is made up of members of the four largest parties). The reason I've met some of these people is that contrary to the US or other European countries, Switzerland still works quite old-fashioned in a sense (positively speaking). Instead of having tons of secret service agents around them and being escorted to work in a limousine, many of our presidents (members of the federal council) go to work by train. While they obviously work in our capital (Bern), not all of them actually live in the same city. So some of them commute to work by train just like anyone else and with all the other commuters. They do have security people who kind of watch out for them but only at work. When they walk around in the city or go home, they basically become a normal person and easily blend into the crowds. There are two major reasons this works so well: contrary to many other countries, we have a very low crime rate. So the chance of somebody trying to attack or even assassinate them is very small (I don't think there has ever been such an attempt so far). The other reason is that Swiss people tend to have a very reserved mentality and don't talk to strangers a lot. We're a bit like Finnish people... we just want to be quiet and be left alone ;-). We also kind of have this mentality that says "Please leave me in peace and I will also leave you in

• peace" ;-). So this is why these heads of the state don't have to worry about "normal" people being too nosy or something like that. I saw some of the members of our federal council on the train when I had to go to our capital a few times. There was nobody who walked up to them and was like "oh my god, aren't you Mr. XY?" which maybe would happen in some other countries. The members of the federal council would just sit there and read the newspaper or talk to other politicians if there are other politicians present and the "normal" people in the same compartment or in the compartments next to them just do the same thing and read newspapers or eat or talk to their friends.

• Sounds like a mature political system

What Girls Said 4

• President, just a few years ago. He was in my town and my friend had the opportunity to meet him, and I got invited to join. :)

• President Gloria. She was the ninang of my cousin in his wedding

• Councillors and Political parties.

• I've met the president a few times, and presidential candidates.

• Is it president Obama you've met?

• Yes. I've met Joe Biden and Al Gore as well.

What Guys Said 4

• I got the queen to give me a fist bump

brownies for anyone who gets the reference

• Crap I don't know the reference

• Amn't I right to say you are not allowed to touch the Queen - Aussie PM caused consternation when he put hand on her back to guide her somewhere.

• Prime minister - My nephew won a young journalism prize and PM was presenting prizes.

• State Senate

• Small town councilors, governors, mayors, ministers, I think that's it.