How do you tell who is a good possible friend to share your thoughts with?

Please explain to me how you can tell if someone is going to be a good friend? I am almost 30 and I don't have any close friends except for my mom. I just want someone to vent to or talk to me. Some one who cares about me, but I don't have anyone. I have low self-esteem though. And before you say go out and make friends, join clubs etc... I am in numerous clubs. I am the president of one club, the historian for another club etc. I have always been in a lot of clubs since jr. High school. I was probably in half the clubs in my high school, but I still feel super lonely. I feel like no one on the planet likes me. And before you go, all I think about is me me me, that's not true either. I volunteered to teach the poor in Thailand, I volunteered to teach at church, I am the president of clubs where I do everything to make sure that people are going to have a good time etc... I just feel like I am a nobody and I am lonely and sad. I had terrible depression at 16 and was institutionalized for three months where they just forced pills down my throat, so that is not the answer.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 1

• I would think if someone is willing to drop most things or try to come to you when you're in a crisis, is willing to listen and give you advice, and are there for you when you need it (if/when they can), that's a good friend.

But from meeting someone? No way to know.