Should overeating be considered substance abuse?

Most Helpful Guy

• I suppose you could look at it that way, but unlike drug damage which is often way more dangerous and have permanent damaging effects. Fat can be burned and worked away and it's easier to regulate what you eat then it is to break drug addiction.

Regardless I do really think people should watch what they eat and exercise, being unhealthy and overweight isn't cool it's horrible on your health and can cause catastrophic effects to the body, one of the reasons why I'm becoming a professional trainer is to help overweight people see the truth and get them on the fast track to health.

Most Helpful Girl

• Because food is not a substance as defined by the FDA

What Guys Said 12

• I don't think it's a substance. I think that it can be an addiction. It can be considered that, right, because addiction is continued negative consequences yet continuing the behavior.

However, sugar, if discovered today, is considered by many doctors to be, or would be, considered a controlled substance. Seeing as how sugars are so prevalent in our food. Maybe that makes me reconsider.

The bottom line is that eating unhealthy is addictive, a large problem, and often used to cope with unhappiness or stress in the same way booze or other drugs is.

So, whatever label we can clinically put on it - the identification and treatment needs to be the same.

• I think it depends.. I know that processed sugar makes our brain light up just like crack does. In that sense, there are foods that are addictive like drugs.

• I don't even know how do they afford to eat like a pig. Food is expensive enough as it is.
    Anyway.
    Yes.

• Welfare, unemployment, loans etc.

• @Phoenix98
      And I expanded upon it to say how - yes it is a kinda substance abuse?
      I mean , replace food with alcohol , replace food with drugs , pretty much same story different names.

• Well there are still some major differences but yes in the gist of things it's the same.

• Yes, yes, yes.

• Yes. Actually, scientific researches have shown again and again that certain foods work in our organism like drugs. White sugar for example. It produces addiction and is responsible for more deaths than any sort of illegal drugs everywhere.

• Yes because i used to be 400 pounds. Now I am 194 and food was my substance

• Then the be like "it's just my genetics."

• Some people are genetically predisposed to alcoholism, too.

• Yes! !!! I'm so anti fat acceptance

• no, it is just bad judgment

• I thinks so... very good point

• Considered being a fatass yeah

• No because food is not a substance. Substance = drug = anything that you ingest or somehow put into your body to alter it's state. Food is just nutrients you take in as part of normal bodily maintenance.

That being said, a lot of unhealthy foods often are super-processed and have preservatives that your body can be addicted to. However I don't think it's at all near the same degree as controlled substances (addictive drugs).

• Do you think the body can become addicted to foods without preservatives in them?

• Yes and no. I think that is overall an exaggerated use of the word "addiction." I don't think food addiction is the same level of chemical dependency your body has with controlled substances. It's more like that old saying "old habits die hard", if you enjoy pizza and eat it a lot for instance it may be hard to change your diet, but you can definitely do it and you certainly won't experience withdrawal symptoms like if you were addicted to cocaine.

What Girls Said 6

• Yes, like any Addiction, 'Overeating' is an Illness when it cannot be controlled and leads to Obesity and needs to be addressed to get back on track again.
    Good luck. xx

• Yeah it should I eat way too much!

• Yes...
    But fat people will find a way to defend overeating too

• yes i think so.

• Yes i think it should be...

• Well no. One is an addiction. And the other is just gluttony