Do you think intelligence is genetic?

• I think it's genetic
  • I don't think it's genetic
  • Results/unsure

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes it is genetic + environmental, like everything else.

Most Helpful Girl

• I believe that both genetics and environment play a factor.

What Guys Said 20

• Well first it depends on what you define as intelligence. There are over several different definitions of what accounts as intelligence according to many psychologist.

Anyway I believe that intelligence is a mixture of genetics and environment, but I'm willing to bet that environment plays a very significant and crucial role in it. Studies have shown that when a child from an impoverished area move into a middle class area, their IQ increases by up to 20 points. Or better yet when a child is adopted at a young age their IQ as they grow up begins to match with that of their adoptive parents, not their biological parents. What that means is that IQ is not in a fixed state and that there is always room for a person to improve (or decrease) their IQ depending on how they are nurtured.

• Sigh*, so much ignorance. I worked at a learning enrichment center, I've worked with wealthy, middle class, and impoverished children. I can tell you the only thing hindering their intellectual capabilities is the environment they're raised in. Whenever, there's a child that has some trouble (or is trouble) I see the parent that walks in and talks to my head instructor and you really question what the home life is like. Of course, after teaching them for a few months to a year, you can really see the progress they've made, and that's when I realized unless you have some sort of mental disability, everyone has the same mental faculties.

• It's a mixture of genetics and the environment in which you are raised.
    Of course, it's a very controversial (almost taboo) subject, because it raises the possibility that the genes associated with intelligence are also linked to racial characteristics, gender, etc. It would be a very brave scientist who publicly states that one race is generally more intelligent than another (it's much safer to put test results down to social bias etc, which no doubt is also a factor).

• @takumii couldn't have said it better.

• Not really. U gain knowledge through life experiences and enviroment around u like people who pass down their experienced onto u and or the surroundings. Further knowledge can be gain from reading. Anyone can be intelligent with dedication.

• Yes and no. Yes, there is genetical predisposition, but just like with any other talent it requires training and practice or it will just rot away.

• Has to be genetic and environmental. Not really interested in it, tbh, so my knowledge is limited in this field.

• No intelligence is a result of a good education and work effort. Anyone can become smart if they try.

• I think the capacity is genetic, but if you don't have the desire to learn you won't

• Intelligence IS genetic we took that in the biology class

• IQ is about 80% genetic I think

• I wasn't just talking about iq I was talking about life smart too

• It's genetic as how you can take notice the difference within a mentally challenged person or non retard. There are also other factors that affects intelligence.

• I think so

• my parents aren't the brightest but i am apparently really smart. hmm, i guess it's not genetic

• No. My parents are both morons and I'm not. So it's not.

• The question brings to mind the bimbo theory of economic wealth destruction:

Man & woman are smart and work hard, create a business and have a child. The business is successful.

The child inherits both business and smarts from parents. Because he has never been poor, he doesn't have quite the same drive. However, having money means that son marries hot wife.

Third generation is better looking, but lacks either work ethic or brains. The process continue and the family fortune eventually fails.

• My sister is intelligent and im sorry to say it no offline but out of her whole side of the family she's the only intelligent one... she had colleges looking for her as soon as she graduated she's been accepted and invited to more than 10 colleges...

while her brother and her sister on her side are not special needs but they are closer to special needs than to normal

(its because their mom did drugs with them but she didn't do it with the one who's in college)

• Yes, studies show that your IQ is determined by your DNA.

• Yes, but mostly environmental. Blacks are still SUPPRESSED by whites to a huge degree... Whites are afraid that blacks will come up, and are extremely racist.

Obama is only half black. The blacks are sold drugs and kept sedated.

• Tell me what you mean by intelligence and I'll tell you.

Generally attributes are a mix, take height for example, you have a genetic potential but you only reach it with proper nutrition. The environmental factors which effect how well your brain works are much more subtle and varied than just nutrition.

What Girls Said 14

• i think genetics plays a role, but doesn't fully account for anything.

like my dad is math obsessed and i want math to burn in hell. u see? :P

• Tough one! I think if parents are intelligent, they are more likely to spend time teaching their child and nurturing their intelligence.

If the parents aren't so intelligent, they probably don't see learning as important as it should be and may put less time into it.

I can't even decide my answer, mostly environment I would say rather than a "smart gene", but I've always been more nurture over nature :)

• No, intelligence is not just genetic. Social environments shape genetic influences on intelligence.

• I think not all of it is genetic.
    Since it is, as dictionary says: the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills - you have to have predispositions to do it, but a lot of it is learned. You can actually learn how to learn.

• It's partly genetic but it's actually already been proven that 70% of it is developed in the early childhood through nurture.

• My parents aren't very intellectual (They are still smart and have good common sense) but I'm in the scientific field. So intelligence overall is not genetic. You could argue with extremely gifted people for being genetically related, but it's primarily to do with enviromental factors (upbringing), education and motivation to learn.

• It's not completely genetic some of it is also due to where you grew up and if you tried to improve your knowledge.

• i think rather than genes it's how the parents would raise their kids. if they're really smart, they'l have more expectations and knowledge to pass to their kids from a young age.

• Nope both my parents are... How do I put this... Stupid..😐

• Of course it is.

• I think environment plays much more of a part than genetics.

• Definetly and effort as well contirbutes

• i think it 'CAN' be, but doesn't necessarily mean it's always genetic... As in "it's possible"...

• No, My parents are both surgeons and Im not even close