Why do people often pull out the 4.0 GPA card to prove their high intelligence whenever they're in an argument with someone?

Last time I checked, a GPA determines your talent and how much of a hard worker you are in school, not exactly how intelligent you are or how much common sense you have.

I've met quite a few people with 4.0 GPAs that have no real world common sense.

Most Helpful Girl

• I would agree with you, most people who feel the need to Lord their academic intelligence over you fail in real life due to their lack of common sense. If I were in charge of a project I'd rather have one illiterate person with tons of common sense than one with a Degree and zero common sense. To me common sense, the ability to visualize and problem solve are better than any grade point average.

I've carried a 4.0 from Middle school through second year of college. I've never whipped out my GPA card though. Then again maybe I should, I'm very blonde so if someone doesn't know me that assume, "Dumb Blonde". The other rarity is that I am both told and frequently complemented for having common sense and being able to apply the theory to real the world. ( I am studying to be a Civil Engineer, w/ minor in Mechanical Engineering.)

So I guess I'm intelegent, or as you state I am a hard worker, know how to study, take tests well, able to use classroom theory to apply it to either a testing or engineering problem.

I can assure you, I have never had any grade handed to me just because I am a cute blonde!

Most Helpful Guy

• It depends... It more likely than not means your smart, but you also factor in how much practical knowlege and ability you have. There has to be a balance between them. If you're really smart school wise and sometimes you lack common sense your still smart but not as practical. If your really smart in school but your borderline retarted when it comes to your practical common sense and abilities, your not smart. Or if its to a point that you're not considered a functional person or you wouldn't even be able to apply your school smarts knowledge other then memorizing info for tests, your not smart.

And just because you have a whole bunch of regular common sense but not school smarts doesn't make you smart either. The balance works both ways, but if your smart practically, like your intelligent in the way you reason in everyday life that most "street smart" people can't do, your intelligent, just not book smart intelligent. Its a different kind of smarts. But if you dont have that and all you have is common sense but no smarts to back it up, your honestly not very smart.

there's different kinds of smarts and you need to have a balance between them. And common sense, it can't be too extreme.

What Girls Said 9

• The fact that they're having to prove their intelligence as part of their argument means that they're not acting intelligently. Yes, credibility is part of an argument, but "I'm smart therefore I'm right" is terrible logic and shouldn't need to be used if one is indeed that smart.

Just saying.

• Because people who do that want their "superior intelligence" relevant to the argument and wish that it would somehow cause them to win that argument. Those people suck.

• A high GPA means nothing in the real world. A good GPA just means how obedient you are. I know a lot of people who are smart yet school was not a good fit for them consequently they have an average or low GPA.

• I hope they can survive like the amazon Indians if they feel so smart about knowing everything.

• Amen , so true

• ... Anyone who uses that to prove their intelligent in an argument isn't being very intelligent.

• Because they ran out of logical arguments

• because they have nothing else to prove themselves with.

• a 4.0 requires some intelligence, no?

What Guys Said 6

• Those who use their GPA as intellectual proof are the same people that don't understand basic concepts of the world and argue if genetic traits being covered up with makeup is lying... They're the same people that say "IQ doesn't matter, it's just a measure of capacity." They're they same people that get pissy when you tell them they're doing something wrong, defining something wrong, and try to help them by showing them the right way and telling them the proper definition of the word in front of the class they're teaching. People who believe GPA defines intellect are the same people that become educators, they are the people keeping the world's intellectual level low, if we had experts teaching in their fields we'd have a fuck ton more people who know what the fuck they're talking about when they open their mouths. The rest of the people in the world really need to learn the beauty of a moment when their mouth is shut and they're being told how fucking stupid they are. Those moments are a beautiful thing, because you ruined a society and a future for people like me.

• i guess it does have some merit. i mean some people study their butts off to get a 4.0, but in the process, they don't necessarily retain the information they've learned. i mean you can argue an iq test doesn't make you smart either. it generally just measures your capacity to learn, identify patterns and think using certain types of problem solving. i have an iq score 155 (1.55x higher than the average human at my age) and my memory skills, puzzle skills and quick math were pretty much off the charts (i finished all 3 of them relatively fast and correctly for most of them). but i've always been a 3.0 (b/b+) student. does that make me smart? i've never been the best in my grade at anything academically (although i got a's and b's rarely studying). and i've always been somewhat of a naive person... i didn't know until college that cities had more than 1 high school. i literally wondered how cities like new york fit so many kids in a single school.

• Probably. I got a 3.0 cumulative GPA in high school, but my ACT score was higher than everyone else I asked in my school.

• Yeah and I doubt all those people actually have a 4.0gpa lol

• Intelligent nope :/ example a person need surgery you think that same student can do surgery

• Because they think book smarts are more important than street smarts