Do you think you can really handle the truth?

I hear people say they want people to be more honest, or someone to tell them the whole truth and nothing but, but I think all of us are fragile to some degree. Really honest people, those considered to be people with no filters, don't tend to be well liked indicating to me at least that honesty isn't in truth, really the best policy. I think most people will agree there are some definite things you shouldn't lie about, but are you going to tell your kid you think his Macaroni sculpture is stupid and a waste of food, or your girlfriend that yes it does look like she's gained 10 lbs, or your husband that he isn't as ripped as he thinks, or your boss that their proposal for the new ad sucks, doubtful.

Most Helpful Guy

• I can handle it depending on what it is. Anything about myself I can handle and about my work or car etc. My sensitive point would be my children so you better love my childs macaroni sculpture it's pure genius dammit!!!

What Guys Said 6

• Yes you are talking about the area of white lies - I think they are harmless and okay to tell as long as you tell the big truths.

• White lies are ok and sometimes helpful... but please tell me you didn't order the code red.

• no one wants honesty, everyone wants to be told what they want to hear, not what is actually going on

• U WANT THE TRUTH U CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH

• I believe in nothing so telling me something that would devastate another wouldn't phase.

• I'm frequently less than completely honest almost always to spare people's feelings or to avoid difficulties when the person has no right to a straight answer.

I think that's the real measure of a lie, does the person have a right to the information, if they do you are obliged to give it to them.

I can handle the truth, if I have illusions I haven't been able to smoke them out.

What Girls Said 2

• I'm always honest and would prefer people to tell me the truth because in the end, a lie won't help anyone. I tell my kids that their drawings are amazing because to me, they are, I see what they do as anachievement and when my partner has been on a binge for a week and has put on a few pounds, I tell him. When I was heavily pregnant, everyone goes "awwh you're glowing" and "you look great" but then when I meet up with one of my close friends she goes "wow you look disgusting" and I appreciate the honesty believe it or not! There's a line between honesty and respect, I wouldn't tell someone my honest opinion (to someone such as my superior at work) because I respect that they are more educated and experience than me and they are trusted to do what is best so my opinion would be irrelevant.

• Never start with "I'm always honest" because that's a lie and defending that statement would be even more of a lie. I think in your case, I very much believe that you appreciate the honesty from friends, but those are your friends and you know where there heart is, but let's say a boss were to tell you you were disgustingly pregnant or some lady down the street was like you're so freaking huge. I doubt you'd appreciate that. I think we can appreciate honesty from true friends and sometimes from family because they know us, they know what we can handle, and there may be a basis from where that level of honesty is coming from vs. that of a stranger.

• Okay... instead of saying "I'm always honest" I should have said I don't really on't get the chance to be dishonest, at home or at work. As for my boss or a random person making a comment, sure I wouldn't appreciate it but I wouldn't care about it, I wouldn't be bothered that they were being honest, I'd be bothered that they were just stepping out of place but brush it off.

• I've had this conversation a couple times with various friends and it always ends in the same two conclusions which are 1) no one really has a problem with the little white lies we tell to get through life without pissing people off 2) no one really and truly appreciates true honesty because if they did there would be no restrictions or filters on who could say what to them. It's so funny, to me anyway, the people that struggle to admit this to themselves. Everyone lies and is dishonest and everyone to some degree appreciates the white lies. Lying is literally part of the social graces we've developed as a society, because you know, "feelings." I think we'd all like to believe all dishonesty and lying were wrong, but a simple greeting, "good morning, how are you,"... people answer this question with a lie all the time, "I'm fine." That can't be true 365 days a year, and yet, we accept it as part of social grace not to say, complain about the mortgage or the spider problem.

• No. People want to hear what they want to hear. Not the truth