What are your top 3 languages you'd learn if you had the time?

I've been spending a lot of time looking into different languages lately so I started to become curious about what people like on here.

Please state which ones you'd like to learn and why.

My 3 choices would be..
Japanese- because I love Japanese history and learning about the culture. I enjoy classic Japanese movies and have dabbled in manga and anime in the past.
Swedish (or any scandinavian language) - My family hails from these places and it would be cool to learn more about my heritage
Portuguese- My friend owns a house in the Azores and it would be awesome to be able to converse with the locals when we visit ;)

Most Helpful Girl

• 1. French b/c as a kid I went to an all French speaking school even though it was in the US, and was fluent through 3rd grade, but my new school no longer offered and I lost it all, and would someday actually like to visit France.
    2. Spanish-I know quite a bit, but am not fluent. It seems like its the new job requirement these days where I'm from
    3. Sign Language-again, started learning it as a kid, am picking back up on it because for the most part, I could truly have a private conversation with someone else who spoke the language

Most Helpful Guy

• My first 3 would be:
    1. Vietnamese
    2. Romanian
    3. Greek
    4. Italian

The first because a few friends of mine in the military are Viet and have on numerous times asked me to go with them to Vietnam for a vacation, learning a lang amongst my comrades would be cool. The last 2 languages is purely because of my own love the history, culture, landscapes and the very historical relevance that they've played in helping create western democracy in its conception and birth. Obviously, Greece more so than Romania and finally for the 4. that just me wanting to learn at least one romantic language OTHER than french since I loathed learning it as a child growing up.

• Interesting. I heard Vietnam can be a lot of fun to visit. Greek would be a pretty solid link to the history of the western hemisphere.

• @Asker - Psshhh I know my friends have been asking me for years to go... maybe next year since I'll be done with school no more academic obligations to worry about! Plus 1 US dollar is about 23,000 dong in Vietnam, it's been on the steady climb in recent years. I'll have a place to stay, personal tour guides, food and drinks for days.

• That is very true. Money can certainly last longer in different parts of he world. You're the fist person to mention that as a motivation so far.

What Girls Said 40

• I'd learn
    - Arabic so I can understand Islam
    - Hebrew so I can understand Judaism
    - Spanish so I can understand Spanish countries

• I'd say Korean, Māori and Gaelic.
    When learning Japanese I picked up some Korean. It's an easy language to recognise in my opinion, but I still often wonder what the translation if of too many words on packaging of food. So, Korean would be my number one.
    Māori is a language I've always been interested in, so it's on my list. Gaelic is pretty much the same, altho I know quite a lot of the language already. So if I had to remove it from my list because of that, I'd list my number 4 which is Tibetan.

I'd like to note that certain language that I think might be useful, totally haven't got my interest of learning. Spanish, Portugese, Chinese, Russian, it all doesn't seem that interesting to me. I learned English, BSL, ASL, French, German, Latin, Dutch, Japanese and some Indonesian. I'd say I'm a pretty fast learner.

• I'd say you're a pretty fast learner too! Some people are more adept at picking up a new language than others too.

• Spanish

Mandarin

German

Spanish, beautiful on the tongue.
    Mandarin, I've always wanted to try. I love how it sounds in my mouth. (that's what she said)
    German, I suck at. But I find it very easy. And I like a challenge.

Ah man, and Arabic as a 4th choice, because it's a beautiful language I would love to learn one day.

• haha all are pretty solid reasons. I know you can do it if you put your mind to it :)

• At least your other choices aren't so very bad, haha.

• Indeed. There are a lot of Portuguese immigrants who live in my area so it's a commonly spoken language especially among families.

• Spanish, French and Italian.

I used to know French. I find it a natural language.
    I've always been intrigued by the Spanish language and people.
    And Italian because they make the best food in the world, it's only right to know the language! Plus they have such history, Latin routes. Without Italy, a lot of the world wouldn't exist

• Yeah there have been some cultures that have really shaped the world in major ways.

• French, Italian, and re-learn Spanish.

I want to learn the first two because I know others that speak them. I'd like to be able to speak in their languages, not just English. I learned Spanish in middle and high school. While I remember the basics, I've forgotten most of it, so I'd like to get my knowledge back to where it was.

• I would love to learn Italian (because "amore👌"), mandarin chinese (because it's useful) & Russian (because I really wanna travel to Moscow and I have a feeling people will be nicer if I know their language 😅 though the Russians I know are already pretty nice!)

I already know English (duh 😜), French, German, Luxembourgish (If that counts), Latin, Dutch, some Japanese and now some Spanish aye

• Wow you seem to be quite the linguist.

• Haha ok I'm curious what it will be :)

• I think it will be about family and international relationships. I haven't decided on the specifics yet.

• Spanish, German and Russian.

I already know English, Mandarin, Malay, Korean, Japanese, French and Italian (not that fluent, just enough to survive lol), and probably a little Latin..

• So would you say you're at s basic conversation level with those languages?

• No problem ^^

As to why I chose those three (sorry I forgot)..
      Spanish : seems like a widely spoken language and I have friends that speaks Spanish, so it'd be fun to learn it (I'm currently learning it anyways).

German : I have friends that speaks the language, and something about it is interesting.

Russian : I wanna visit Russia someday and maybe it'd be better to interact with the locals if I know their language I supposed..

• That makes sense. Very reasonable :)

• French: I took French classes in highschool, but I forgot the majority of things I learned, so I would like to remember these things and to improve it
    Italian: I think it's a beautiful language and sounds good to me
    Latin: It would help me to better understand my native language and it has some interesting words

• I had a French class in middle school and high school but I forgot most of it.. 😓
      Italian is a beautiful language!

• That's what happened to me. So, it would be good to learn everything again.

• Dutch
    Finnish
    Spanish

I'm weird.

• Chinese and Spanish definitely, because those are the most commonly spoken in the world. For the third I would choose Icelandic cause it's so unique, and it would be awesome if one person from Iceland showed up in Atlanta and could only talk to me, lol.

• I would rather improve the 3 languages that I already speak ( Arabic, French and English) But if I had the chance to learn 3 extra languages:
    - Italian because it sounds nice
    - German
    - Mandarin

• Well, I know some languages already... not fluently though. I am always learning. I guess I'd like to brush up on my German, Spanish, and Russian.

For new languages, I would like to learn Japanese, Korean and Arabic.

• Japanese and Korean are pretty popular. I'm guessing it's the entertainment industry that drives people.

• Ah very cool. Thanks for responding.

• No problem! :)

• I speak English and Spanish and a little bit of franch.
    I would like to learn more franch because I took a few classes in middle school and high school. Plus I would absolutely love to learn Arabic my best friends are from Lebanon. They taught me a few words.

• Spanish, French, and Mandarin.

• Why is that?

• Spanish is kind of a must well at least in America it's the most essential language to learn other than English which I can already speak.

Mandarin can really come in handy because China is up there with America so if ever seel a job that language can be of use.

And lastly French is just a language I've always wanted to learn who wouldn't want to learn the language of love?

• Ah those are pretty good reasons. Thanks for stopping by :)

• German
    Spanish
    Italian

• Any particular reasons why?

• The similarities between Spanish and Italian make it easy to understand the other if you know one but will cause many non native speakers to make lots of 'contamination' errors using both actively.

• I know Spanish but would like to practice it more.
    Other than that French and mandarin

• What's your motivation for learning them?

• I love languages and they come easy to me.
      It opens a window to cultures like none others

• I'm jealous that they come easily to you. I love traveling and experiencing different cultures so I agree :)

• Russian, Latin, Hawaiian!

• Russian is more popular than I expected! I heard learning Latin can be a good gateway to other languages.

• Latin is a good base to start from, indeed. I learned Latin 4h/week during 6 years, starting age 12.

• Thanks for responding. That makes a lot of sense ;)

• Long time no see Red

Italian
    Spanish
    Greek

• It's good to see you too.
      What is your motivation for wanting to learn those?

• Ah those are very sounds reasons. Thanks for sharing :)

• Thankyou :)
      No problem :)

• Itaialin beacuse it close to Spainish
    Japanse beacuse I like anime and magna
    And does Sign Laungue count?

• Yeah all of those count. I'm truly impressed how many people picked sign language.

• Spanish
    Japanese
    And I'd continue where I left off in Italian

• Forgot the why. I'd do Spanish because I've always wanted to speak it fluently. Japanese because I think that language would challenge me. And Italian because I started in high school and want to become fluent for when I visit Italy.

• Thank youuu! 😊

• You're most welcome.

• Korean
    Japanese
    Chinese

I have friends from Korea I'd like to communicate with, specially they don't know English very well or they can't speak it at all..

• I speak Arabic , French and English , I would like to learn korean , German and maybe russian?

• Very impressive! What motivated you to learn the ones you know and want to learn others?

• Yes really haha
      how about u? Whoch languages do u want to learn?

• I'll add it to an update soon :)

• French - I love the language
    German - I have a plan to travel there and might be getting master
    Thailand - since I like the country so much

• Mandarin, French, Spanish

• I'm not gonna let you off that easy.. Explanation required ;)

• Thank you 😆

• You're welcome!

• Korean
    Spanish
    And British 😉😂😜

• British can seem like a different language sometimes ;)

• It's no use waiting. You gotta learn to speak British, then we can really communicate! Not perpetually miss each other, with our cultural insularities!

• @levin ***goes to google translate. Types in insularities*** that British is tricky😜

• 1. Greek
    2. Italian
    3. French

• korean
    russian
    norwegian

• English

Spanish sign language

Vietnamese

• What are you reasons why?

• I understand. They seem like worthy goals :)

• oh no , not goals at all

• Latin, Italian, German

• Why is that?

• Latin is the basis of a lot of modern languages, like English and French etc. I just think it would be cool to learn such an ancient language.
      Italian and German well... Germany and Italy have some pretty hot guys ;)

• Haha well it's cool if your motivation are the people :)
      Latin is a gateway to a lot of modern languages. I hear it makes those other ones easier if you learn it.

• Japanese, Russian, and Finnish

• Any particular reasoning behind it?

• Very cool. Thanks for responding.

• More from Girls
    10

What Guys Said 28

• I'd like to be fluent in ASL (I'm okay but not great)

French would be useful because it gets you a lot of jobs here in Canada. I only learned until high school and lost interest.

I'll take German as my third and final one just because it would be useful given how much business clout they have.

• I've been learning Spanish off and on for like 3 years sooo all I remember right now are a few verbs and cuss words. Other than Spanish I'd learn Haitian Creole and either Arabic or Japaneses. Most likely Japanese just so I don't have to rely on the English sub titles when I'm watching anime.

• I hear you about the Japanese bit. Creole is a very interesting and diverse language.

• I honestly think about 25% of the people who want to learn Japanese do it for Anime or Manga lol

• That's true.. That's how it started for me when I was younger. I find the history and culture fascinating too though.

• I am fluent in English and Russian. If I could easily know/learn one more then I would choose French.

• Complete my fluency in Spanish.

Irish, so I can visit the homeland and kinda/sorta/almost fit in.

American Sign Language.

• Very cool. I'm pleasantly surprised with the number of people wanting to learn ASL.

• So was I! I didn't notice until I'd already posted mine, and I was kinda proud of GaG. LOL

• Yes me too! I really was shocked to be honest.

• French
    Italian
    Chinese

I already know Spanish and English.

• Can you elaborate as to why you chose those languages?

• French: I know some French already since I studied it in MS and one year in HS, but I forgot most of it, and I think it's a beautiful language.
      Italian: I don't know why, I think this is just because I wanna say "I speak Italian" xD
      Chinese: Because there are so many Chinese people and the country is expanding more and more, lots of businesses and money goes through China, Chinese would be great to know.

• Very nice. Those can be powerful motivators.

• - Japanese, just because I'm a big fan of their culture and love watching animes too
    - Spanish, it's useful and a beautiful language. It's also close to Portuguese which can be handy in my country
    - French, I understand almost everything and can speak it but it's quite bad, too bad for living in this country. I'd like to speak it as fluent as my native language or german. Or at least English...

• I'd like to know also Arabic, Chinese and Russian.

• Why is that?

• Modern Standard Arabic is an official language of 27 states, the third most after English and French.
      Chinese is spoken by more than 1 billion.
      Russian is spoken by 260 million people.

• Those are solid reasons.

• Spanish, Arabic, and Italian.

• Why did you arrive at those?

• You're welcome, what about you?

• I'm going to make an update with mine in a little bit because quite a few people asked for it.

• Japanese mainly but I wouldn't mind knowing Italian and French as well.

• What are you reasons?

• Japanese because I want to be able to watch anime and read manga without subtitles/translations. Italian because I'm fascinated with the culture and French I just put there as a third option. I don't really have anything besides Japanese and Italian.

• I can definitely understand those reasons. Thanks for responding!

• Mandarin, Arabic, Spanish

Mandarin for access to China
    Arabic to be able to read about the area
    Spanish for access to South America and Spain (Plus you can get by in Portugal and even Italy)

• It's based on what I could read:
    Russian- Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Chekhov
    French - Victor Hugo, Dumas, Rousseau
    German-Wittgenstein, Frege, Nietzche.

Goes without saying man

• That does go without saying. Impressive list.

• I am planning on learning them though. I think I might start French next year.

• I already know Arabic , English, French and German so the answer would be : Spanish , Italian and Russian

• welsh because it is widely used in Wales still, gaelic for scotland as it is niche and has novelty value, and probably russian because impossible to work out

• Those are very good reasons. I hear Welsh can be quite complicated.

• i went to wales in march, very widely spoken and nothing like English at all!! love seeing welsh road signs and listening to it in towns etc

• Wookie, Kling on and woman
    So I'd know when they say "nothing's wrong" I'd know for sure. Or when they say "do what you want I don't care" if they really want me to do what I want or if they care. So many veritable a so little time.

• I'd relearn Spanish and try Mandarin and Japanese.

• Ahh mandarin and Japanese share a similar written language so learning one will make it easier to learn the other.

• Mostly I'd be doing it for practical purposes. Mandarin is becoming a valuable language to know.

• That's very true. Thanks for responding.

• arabic, german and french probably. they're pretty damn useful, that's why.

• That's true.. They would be useful to learn for different reasons.

• yeah. i can't speak a lick of arabic. but german sounds close to English so if i hear it, i can understand some words. and i speak know Spanish and fluent in italian and have a lot of french friends so french would be cool to know. i also have portuguese/brazilian, russian, turkish and Finnish (the swedish part) so learning those languages would be helpful too.

• That's true. There are words in German that are more recognizable than in other languages I've heard.

• German, Italian and French

• Why the desire to know those?

• no problem bro! but yea i tried a few course myself already but i just need to get deeper into a little more

• You can do it :)

• i would want to learn Latin, Russian, and Chinese

• Why is that?

• Latin because it is cool, plus it would help me with biology some times. I don't know why Russian or Chinese i just think they would be cool

• Ahh I didn't even think of Latin being useful in that way. Thanks for responding.

• Mandarin
    German
    Spanish

• What's your reasoning behind it?

• Well mandarin because its one of the most spoken languages in the world, and its the primary language of a country (China) that is becoming much more prominent geopolitically. German because they've become the de facto rulers of Europe, and its good to know how to talk the language of the overloads, lol. And Spanish is also just very widely spoken so i thought id just throw that one in there too

• Very smart choices then.

• German, Italian, French

• What are your reasons?

• Very very true!

• I also wanted to learn German to understand what Hitler was saying in his speeches. I love WW2 history

• I already speak Spanish, I would like to learn Arabic, Portuguese (Brazilian) and Japanese

• Niiiice. Portuguese should be easier after learning Spanish. Why do you want to learn them?

• Ukrainian, French and Spanish.
    I already speak Russian and English.

• Any reasons why?

• Ukrainian because I sadly don't speak it even though I was born there, French because it's Canada's second official language and Spanish because it's very popular.

• Very nice! Makes a lot of sense. Thanks for responding.

• Mathematics, C++, and Japanese.

• Latin, Esperanto, and Mandarin.

• Why is that? Esperanto is a particularly interesting choice.

• Latin because I like Roman history and well it is used as a classification language in science. Esperanto so my wife and I can speak it together as well as being able to speak to people from multiple countries with out having to learn the language (My wife has meet people from Brazil, Russia, and a couple of Eastern European countries do to Esperanto).
      Mandarin since it is one of the Chinese languages.

• Ah very interesting. thanks for responding.

• Russian,
    French,
    Native Aztec language; my grandfather still speaks it...

• Why do you desire to learn Russian and French?

• for the women thats it really..

• Ahhh that sounds like powerful motivation haha

• I know 4 already: Dutch is my mother tongue and I can also speak English, French and a little German.
    If I'd learn one more language it would probably be Spanish since it's spoken by many people both in Spain and in South and middle America :D

• Spanish, French, Japanese.

• Russian
    Danish
    Dutch