Do you associate quality with brand?

I do sometimes but branded items doesn't necessary guarantee quality.
How about you?

• Yes
  • No
  • Others
Sorry i mean associate brand with quality

Most Helpful Guy

• I tend to trust certain brands more but I realize that trust doesn't always reflect quality. I tend to trust Costco's brand but not always. I'm not interested in buying their olive oil because it's in a plastic container. I think it's possible for the oil to dissolve parts of the plastic but I'm not sure. I'd rather buy olive oil in glass to be safer.

Usually brand means little to me. I usually look at the product. Brand can just give me some quick clues that are often true.

Most Helpful Girl

• Generally, I believe brands have a certain quality standard to meet, or they would lose a share of their target market...
    Ofc, there are cases where the quality is really crappy, but those same incidents also happen to be the ones that negatively affect the image of the brand, and so i think companies avoid them...

Like that Lululemon example, where everyone noticed when the quality went straight down

What Guys Said 34

• My answer is not that straightforward. I do associate some brands with quality. For example, if I buy a computer from Dell, I know it will most likely last longer than if I bought it from an off brand.

However, brands often utilize social conditioning and people's insecurities to generate revenue. Designer sunglasses are an excellent example of this. There is nothing a $500 pair of sunglasses can offer me, or anyone else, that a $10 pair can not.

When someone has low self-esteem, they seek approval from other people. Then they spend $500 on a pair of glasses that cost less than $100 in raw materials. In their mind, it will cause others to either like them or get jealous of them. This in turn, they believe, will help them to like themselves.

• At one time a brand name on a product, was a guarantee of quality. Sadly today, very few brand names still guarantee quality.

I buy a few brand name products that are a little more expensive, because I know they are of good quality and work. But a lot of the name brand things I grew up with and used to buy, I do not any longer because the quality is no longer there to justify the price of the brand name on the package.

• Sometimes. I associate high prices with brands more. Normally, brands are all about image and advertising. If you see through that, it's often not that different as you said.

I normally wear cheap clothes but it suits me and I enjoy them especially because they're so inexpensive. I don't need brands as some sort of social symbol.

• I am the same as you. I do sometimes but brand does not always mean quality. Take for example German cars they are nice looking and nice inside and usually nice to drive but people think they are super reliable because of the fact they were 40 years ago and the fact they are German. The truth is German cars are very unreliable nowadays. I know many people that have constant trouble with BMW's and Volkswagens. Audi is also famous for gear box failure. So German cars maybe nicer cars but they are not reliable.

• I had a BMW X3, preowned, problems having to do with electrical, it's a high-performance vehicle... BMW dealership took care of it and provided another "like" X3 for us to drive while it was being fixed, covered all under warranty, they take care of ya

• I'll go along with that though My Audi kust cost me 3 grand to have the cam chains done and the associated valve damage. That was by Midland VW. Audi wanted 6 grand to do the same job when it was their fault..

• @sexyphil wow and it was their fault that really does suck.

• It really depends on the product. If I am buying a guitar or buying a guitar pedal, I will only buy things made in Canada or the USA or Europe. This is just because most brands will either make their products overseas to make them cheaply and usually poorly.

But I think that a lot of products have gone way down in quality. My parents bought a microwave before I was born, it still works and never been repaired. It is also an oven of sorts. Them my parents bought a new microwave to fit in with the stove, 'everything has to match', and this microwave is maybe 10 years old and has been repaired 4-6 times. We live in a day and age where quality doesn't matter except for people who take pride in their work. They companies who forgo quality are often companies that know that people need their product to have a functioning house or need something to stay current. IPods and cell phones always seem to breakdown, right? Why? Because they come out with new ones every year, and they design 10 different models of the same old crap.

No wonder society is in hell

• Not necessarily in some things yes in others no. For example we buy inverters but are satisfied with Chinese brands more than American. Same is for VFDs.
    But for solar panels we use branded.
    Why pay for brand when I am satisfied with a normal standard product. :)

• I associate certain brands with certain levels of quality. But I do not "associate brand with quality" in the way my parents generation do (any branded item is automatically worth more because it is better).
    To be honest I could name dozens of brands I will dismiss out of hand, but only a couple that I won't automatically do a quality check before purchasing.

• Sometimes, if I don't have the time or means to check the quality of the item. But more often, I don't buy branded items since they mostly feel overpriced. Or sometimes, I google search for a brand that is cheaper, good quality and best worth the money by seeing the reviews of buyers, then try that brand, and probably stick on to that brand. I wouldn't mind trying out another brand, but, I would feel the need to read buyers' reviews first, especially for the larger and expensive items. It also depends on other factors -- How long that item would be in use (Is that something of long term use? Then I would prefer good quality). Also, does its quality make a big difference for my user experience? And so on.

• sometimes the cheap stuff is exactly the same as the name brand

• I do when it's STI or Springfield. But to be fair, it's more of associating brand with it's reputation for quality.

• Yes, I always prefer branded things... The reason is that branded things always (90%) give a durable quality products and they have unique way of making their products. If they have some problem with the product they can go to service centre (customer care). 90% things I've are branded I guess... Nokia, Apple, Samsung Smartphones. Samsung, Dell, Apple Computer. Audi Car. So finally I am brand associated, I only buy products from branded and popular company...

• There was suppose to be a time when branded things were actually worth the money. Now with China making almost everything I think it's hard to get the quality like you'd get in the past. But I'm not blaming China for this but yeah money doesn't really associate with quality for the most things.

• Nope, i never do that i bought a Wireless Mouse for my computer and it's a off brand product i only paid about $10.00 for it but so far so good no problems with it.

• Brands do have a reputation to uphold. Some brands have a bad reputation, and that's hard to shake, too.

• Yes definitely. I know there is no guarantee the quality will be high, but the probability is extremely high.
    I've always trusted Square Enix for quality video games even though they let me down on rare occasions.
    I've also always trusted Bose stereo systems.

• Up to a point. Sometimes it's really just a brand and no quality, though (I'm looking at you, BEATS BY DRE headphones! Sounds worse than my $20 sony... if I wanted to spend $300 on a headphone, then I'd just buy 3 Audio Technica ATH-M40x!)

• it depends. Porsche for instance makes great reliable cars worth every penny. Audi? Overpriced. But it does has a certain ''cachet'' to it if I may.

• Yes, I do. It's unfortunate, because brands are built on quality, then they invariably turn to "cash in" on that brand by charging like it's quality when in fact it's not.

Logitech is my most recent dropped brand over this.

Did you know that General Motors got convicted of a crime? Nobody has been jailed because nobody knows how to hold a corporation to account for crimes.

• Not always, there are good brands around that do not charge their brand name and yet are good quality :D
    I prefer a brand that gives good "money for value" without charging you a much higher price for the logo on their products :o

• No I do not, sometimes top quality brands can have quality issues. I go by quality reviews, not quality names.

• I've associated reliability with Mazda and Honda.

• Most of the time I do... especially with shoes and grocery items.

• Yes I do. I think every single one of us does whether we like to believe it or not. It affects us all subconsciously.

• Depends on the context. In some cases, yes brand is very important. In others, not so much.

• Most of the time. There's a reason why popular brands got popular in the first place.

• Even if I don't want to, I think that I unconsiously I do it

• No I do not

• Sometimes i do, although when i think 'Apple' i don't think quality i think overpriced electronics that you can get for half the price generally

Lets the PC/Mac flame war commense :p

• Most of what famous brands make is produced by child workers living in subhuman conditions. So no, I don't give a shit about brands.

• no I don't. I studdied marketing so I know that brands are nothing but words

• More from Guys
    4

What Girls Said 13

• I associate quality with experience and good reviews.
    I wouldn't know about the brands if I didn't hear about them and how good they are.

• I would say expect quality with a brand... in that case yes, yes I do.
    I expect if you are going to charge more, you should expect better quality. And certain companies charge more and are considered elite. Casing point, Apple. Whether what you get is better quality is another question.

• How would I know? I'm living in a country where every brand is faked thousand times in a thousand ways
    But as far as I could go with the question, yes most things I tried and was sure they're genuine, yes they were good quality

• yes in most cases they adhere to a high standard of quality but not always

• No. Iphones are good examples. And cheap stuff are often bad , especially if you live in asia. In Europe, however, there are always cheap Brands that could compete with the Brandes stuft that cost more than double

• I agree.. Brand and quality are not the same necessarily

• Not always but usually, yes.

• Depends, Whole's Food sell organic and nonorganic food. But their non organic food is twice the price as Tom Thumb and the food companies are the same. Also depends on what I am looking for with clothes and shoes. If want long lasting, I will spend money on brands like Levi or New Balance because they are better quality than most other brands.

• No I don't.
    I think a lot of branded items are sold at a higher price simply because they have an image of quality.

• Absolutely

• I'll admit it, I'm a name brand junkie, I usually won't buy unless the tags are labeled by a quality designer, example: Vera Wang. Quality is not only made better but is also tasteful to an artist's eye

• wow vera wang is very expensive

• Doesn't have to be, if you're a smart shopper

• No.
    I bough Converse shoes and only a week after a part of them got ripped >:(
    They got completely screwed up in only a month.

• Kind of like you said sometimes yes sometimes no.

• Yes sometimes to catch up in the modern trends.