How do I get my Junkie Brother to be forced into rehab?

he's 33 years old and he refuses to get help for his heroin and meth addiction. he's now BANNED from my apartment complex because One night he came here and did his laundry at my apartment, well he kept going upstairs and using my bathroom which i thought was pretty odd because i had a guest bathroom downstairs. Ok so come to find out he was shooting up in my bathroom and he stashed his drugs in my 1 yr old daughters room, along with his needle because I found them the next day hidden under a matress in her room. I flipped out so bad! I called the police and they confiscated the drugs and tested them and my brother was shooting up a speedball which is heroin and meth put together. I was beyond pissed off that he stashed them in her room. I was also pissed off that he was even doing that shit too. Out of all places she stashed them in my 1 yr old daughters room. Then a few days later he called my mom crying telling her he needed help for the thousandth time but he never goes through with it. How do we get him involuntarily admitted to a rehab center or mental health facility. HE also has schizoaffective disorder like me but I dont do drugs i hate drugs.

Most Helpful Guy

• That is a very difficult situation, all I can advise is that you do an intervention with you and others that love him and express how you feel and how treatment seems to be the only option at this point.

Most Helpful Girl

• He has to want help or it's a waist of time. All you can do encourage it and let him know how his lifestyle is effecting those around him. It's a terrible situation. Good luck.

What Guys Said 3

• I'm sorry my answer will be very unsatisfactory but the brutal truth is that you can't force anyone to change. This is not only true for this kind of big things, it's equally true for romantic relationships or family relationships. I've learned this from my parents and my own life experience: the only person you can change is yourself. As for others, all you can do is show them the door and open it for them but they are the ones who have to walk through it. Maybe you've watched the brilliant series Breaking Bad. I've read they're actually showing it to drug addicts in rehab because it contains and talks about so many helpful truths about drug addiction. One of the things one can learn from Breaking Bad is that people - and particularly drug addicts - only change if they WANT to change. You can make somebody want to change, the will has to come from within themselves. Perhaps you can find some kind of reason to have them locked away but you shouldn't be surprised if the therapy doesn't work. Drug or alcohol therapies only work if the drug addicts/alcoholics actively want to change their lifestyles. This takes an incredibly amount of discipline and determination. It's like having to lose 40 pounds. You can't force anyone to eat healthy and work out every day. You might be able to put them in a special care center where they have to work out every day and they only get healthy food but if they don't truly want to lose weight, the first thing they will do upon their release will be walking to the next burger restaurant. It's like that with drug addiction... just a thousand times more difficult.
    Unfortunately, many drug addicts need some kind of very dramatic event to actually make them REALLY want to change. Some never manage it at all. As a family member, there's really not much you can do. You can prohibit your brother from coming to your place but eventually, it his life and his life alone and he has to find out what he wants to do with it. You can't live your brother's life for him.

• Sounds like you should beat his ass!

• Call CPS on him; they'll give him the ultimatum of taking some sort of class and only then he will be able to have full custody of his child.

• NO Thats MY daughter I was talking about. he's my brother.

• Oh... well, if there is nothing that's legally binding him to be a well behaved person (lawful responsibility) then there is nothing you can do, without him abiding to it.

What Girls Said 0