Should a doctor treat his own family member?

I can imagine this awful situation in where his own child or a parent suffers an accident and is transferred into the ER. Or a very awkward situation in where a gynecologist's daughter has to be treated for yeast infection?

Though the doctor can do the job, wouldn't it be better to leave it to other doctors?

Link at.
http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2012/01/09/why-doctors-shouldnt-treat-family-members/

Sadly in that case, the doctor himself performed the operation but his grandson died several hours later in the operating room.

Most Helpful Guy

• I thought in most places they already have a strict policy about not having doctors who are personally familiar with the patient be the patients doctor. I'm surprised they actually put the doctor on his own family member.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah, they shouldn't.
    Well, unless there is absolutely no doctor who can do that operation in the area around, and it was so urgent that they can't trasfer the patient somewhere else which rarely happens because usually hospitals try to have at least 2 doctors for each emergency specilization.

What Guys Said 1

• legally they can't because of the emotions

What Girls Said 1

• No, they're too emotionally involved.