Are you scared of the ocean?

It can be cool and scary! I would not like to be stuck in the middle of the ocean! T^T

Are you scared of the ocean?

• YES!
  • Little.
  • Nope!
Did anyone see the monster on the left corner? :P

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm quite scared about the ocean but not about anything that's in it. I'm not scared about sharks or 15-meter octopussies at all. My fear is very hard to describe... it's more of a ur-fear if that makes any sense (a very archaic type of fear). I go swimming and generally I like it and enjoy it a lot but at the same time I'm also quite scared about swimming in large bodies of water. My fear is rather irrational than being scared of actual things. For example I hate swimming in a lake and knowing that under me, there's no ground for 150 feet or so. I don't know where this fear comes from since I am a very good swimmer. If I was in danger but more or less close to a coast (assuming there are no currents), I could probably save myself. I certainly wouldn't drown just like that. And yet, I really hate swimming in deep waters. My fear is so strong that I could never go swimming in the middle of the ocean. If somebody took me on a boat out to the ocean and told me "I'll give you 10,000 bucks if you just jump into the water here and swim a few rounds for 10 or 20 minutes... but you should know that the ocean is about 12,000 feet deep here" I wouldn't be able to do it. I can't really pinpoint what scares me so much but the pure idea of only having water beneath your feet for several miles is extremely frightening for me.
    I also get very scared if the water color is too dark. For example I wouldn't be able to go swimming in a swimming pool where the water is pitch black. Even if I know it was only 10 feet deep and I knew there's nothing dangerous or scary in there, the idea of swimming in black water and not being able to see your own body in the water (and not being able to see the ground) is also super creepy for me.

Most Helpful Girl

• WHAT THE HECK is that?

im not scared of the ocean. I'm only scared of being in beaches where there would be risks of shark attacks. I'm a confident swimmer but i dont like going too deep just to be safe.

when it comes to boats and that I'm fine obviously hehe =] once we were lucky to spot a pod of dolphins so we got in and swam with them :)

What Guys Said 15

• I would want to go out in the ocean at least once in my life. Preferably on a pirate ship. As a pirate myself.
    cdn.bleedingcool.net/.../ac4-black-flag.jpg

• Not really, no. I'm a qualified beach lifeguard with a degree in marine biology, and my day job is instructing watersports (sea-kayaking, coasteering, etc), so I kind of know what I'm doing in the water... (and got used to nearly drowning quite often)

• I'm scared of being above the ocean

But not as scared as being able to breathe and deep deep down in the ocean
    one second you look this way then you turn around and there's a big ass octopus or whale the size of the titanic looking you dead in your eye

*shivers*

• I would be scared to be far from land!
    but i love going to the beach lol!
    so i guess yeah i am scared of the DEEP BLUE
    but not the ocean...

• Im not scared of the ocean, I'm scared of whats in the ocean (sharks and poisonous jellyfish)

• U don't gotta worry about goblin sharks on the ocean surface. :-P

• Holy shit yess I freak myself out just going in knee deep into the ocean lol

• Nope I love the ocean.
    What is that last picture? Is that a real shark?

• there are nasty things in the ocean but lets face it, even if your a diver you dont see much of anything that actually wants to kill you for years and years.

• no, but I respect it

• Yes cause i can't swim i had near drowning experience did something to me

• No but I do dislike salt water.. it kind of messes my skin up.

• The deep, I am.

• yea a little

• But remember: most shark attacks happen in shallow water - at the depth of just a few feet.

What Girls Said 7

• Not really, I'm fascinated by it. It's such a mysterious place.

• If I'm at the beach wading in the shallow water, it doesn't really bother me. However, out in the wide open waters, I'm a bit more afraid. It's not an overwhelming fear, though.

• If you ask me to either travel to space or swim in a deep ocean. I'll take the space travel.

• Yeah. Especially since I had a bad experience in it.

• Do i mind swimming in it at the beach? Nope. Would i ever swim in deep water? never ;-;

• I would of the deep sea.

• Very much so