Is it even possible to stop comparing yourself to others? If so, how?

I'm sure we've all done it!
There are times when it really motivates me, but most of the time it just brings me down ­čśÉ
It's easy for me to say that I'll stop, but actually doing so is a different story...

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• i think it's just part of human nature, which is a good thing and a bad thing. good, because it can help steer us and motivate us, bad because it can steer us wrongly and make us feel bad about ourselves.

What Guys Said 7

• We live in a society/community, its a given that we will compare each other, otherwise how do I know I'm sucessfull?
    Give you an example, in some school test you have an A: Great
    But so did the rest of the class: Not so great, cause that's just the norm.

We somehow want to outstand (even when we are the only ones to know that) that's the point of reference: others

• I don't think so... although we can put the brake on and stop seeing others as "better" or "worse". Instead, it's important to learn from others. Including, from their mistakes :D

• I always compare myself to others, its a non stop affliction!
    it has lessened a ton, but still there

i have no clue :( i need help with this too, thanks for asking :)

• I never really care about the other in that kinda away.. i care about my people of course but if i compare me too others.. im diferent.. my family and the way i get education its diferent so im diferent than other like everyone is. I love healthy life and my mom gets mad because i choose not eat some stuf because i think they are bad for my body. if u compare with other people and just brings u dont just dont do it.. And i told a friend of mine. Writte down " I'm amazing" in big letter a put it on the wall and read that every morning and every time she wants.. its works if u want believe on that and makes u feel amazing and get better and do better. get golds and when u are succeed on that golds get others:P sorry for the long test and i run a bit away for the initial question :/ ( and sorry for the English to)

• Some people probably do it, so you can think "oh their hair looks good, I might try it". Or "that style looks cool". But just be yourself and do what best works for you.

• No, our minds are assholes. We can't control them.

• I am a guy us guys don't do this. At least you admit though most girls are like this.

What Girls Said 1

• I compare myself to other people a lot but it's more like a "oh, she has really nice hair, wonder what my hair would look like in that color/cut" or "nice waist definition, maybe I should start exercising" or whatever. I think the trick is not to stop doing it, but to stop letting it affect you too intensely. So I think you're in the right direction - compare yourself to others as motivation but don't let it become some kind of obsession.

• Easier said than done, but I'll try!
      Thank you!

• It is. It's really is easier said than done lol. When I was in like, middle-high school I'd see all these ridiculously pretty girls and just get really depressed cuz I wasn't as pretty or rich or popular and it's always been a sore spot. But after a while, and seeing so many different people, I realized that there is something nice about everybody and I was the same. There is also something flawed about everyone, and I was also the same. So I think, gradually, I just started to stop putting so much stock in how I was different than everyone and just accepted what I have and learned to like it. Lol, I don't know if this will help you but it's honestly just my experience. I hope, though, that you'll be able to find your peace soon.

• I'm really trying to accept myself. Maybe it's also a matter of time :)
      Thanks for answering, I appreciate it!