Do you think religious people live contradictory lives?

So, there's no confusion here and so no one can twist my words. I want make what I mean very clear. I haven't been to church since I was in grade school and people tell me and my parents we should go but I don't feel you have to go to church to be a good person. I know people in my own family that go to church and then the mintue they come out they act horribly. Like, my Grandma does all this stuff with the church and goes every Sunday but then will come out and start talking about people in the family and causing trouble. Or, my Uncle goes to church every Sunday but then leaves and gives someone the finger because they ticked him off.

A better example is BTK aka Dennis Rader, he killed a bunch of people but when he got older somehow became a church going man and the head of his church committee. If that's not ironic and contradictory, I don't know what is. But, killing is a BIG no no in the Ten Commandments. Yet, he was still a church going man.

Or, look at the mob. They butcher and kill people because they can, yet they are usually very religious and go to church. I mean, that doesn't make sense lol.

I feel church gives you a place to worship God but it doesn't make you a good person or teaches you how to behavior around others, all of that is ultimately up to you as an indivdual person.

So, do you think religious people can be contradictory?

Most Helpful Guy

• Ok well this could be a long topic lol so let's try and keep it simple.. if you have questions just ask

Church is and should be open to everyone and it's not about being good or bad.. it's about a place where people can come and not be judged... it's where you can show your loyalty to God and/or purge your sins if need be

My opinion - However the idea of religion nature are two different things.. God and religion are two different entities. Religion tells you how to be, God embraces you... religion tells you don't, God tells you do

Meaning, of course people still talk about others, use their middle finger... kill and so on, because that is part of Human nature... and religion can't control that... so some tend to pick and choose what they can follow and what they can't. Contradiction is expected, confessions are to purge yourself of any evil... as thyself is not who we choose to by, but it is God who made us this way

Religion is a way of life, it shows the path to many that cannot accept the unknown. It gives hope to a very hopeless life... as we, humans, you and me have no clue to how we arrived on planet earth and in contrast have no clue where we are all headed once we die

Hope is crucial to human survival, religion and God fills that gap

P. s. I don't really believe in religion (I think) I'm more a science guy

Most Helpful Girl

• The best comparison I've ever heard is that morals is like a dining room table, and many chairs sit around that table, some people learn morals from their parents and sit in that chair, and others from church and sit in that chair. So we all have a basis of morals we live with that may change from person to person, as with the chair that one chooses to sit in. In my opinion churches are not as much about scripture anymore (atleast in my experience) it's more social, it's we're you meet friends and volunteer to help the community, but not once have I sat in a service where the Ten Commandments were spoken. So I think that people are being contradictory towards their morals, and when you use the excuse of going to church to make you sound like a person of high, positive morals, I feel like that's a cop out because that's not showing your true being.

What Guys Said 13

• I am a Christian. The teachings of Jesus instruct me to strive towards certain goals. I am human and, despite my best efforts, I fail to reach my goals every day. However, I will continue every day to seek those goals. My daily failings do not mean that I am not sincere in my beliefs. My daily failings are not an indictment of the teachings of Jesus.

My daily failings are seized upon by those who do not want to be held to answer to any standards of morality. If those people can assassinate the character of all Christians, then the beliefs must be invalid and there will be no code against which others can be measured, So character assassination is the order of the day.

Christians are "hypocritical," meaing that we fail at attaining our stated goals, because we are flawed humans. It does not mean that we are not sincere in our desires. or our beliefs. Christians do many good works that benefit others, like sheltering the homeless, feeding the hungry, helping refugees become settled, providing educational opportunities, affordable day care, and other worthy projects.

Before you laugh at us for our hypocrisy, you should ask yourself if you are not guilty of possessing the same shortcomings. If you are truly free of sin, then perhaps you should consider casting the first stone at us.

• Christianity is a hospital for sinners. Not a club for the sinless.

If anything, they have a higher standard by which they're required to meet than anyone else. To be a Christian is to admit you're not perfect and you're a sinner and aim for v the unattainable goal of being like Christ.

So no Christians aren't hypocrites. They very fact that they're Christian means that they acknowledge they're not perfect

• The Church's main function is to instill companionship and a sense of belonging in Christians. It's not for portraying yourself as good BUT that is what it's commercialized for.

• It doesn't matter what your beliefs are, you're human naturally, everything else takes effort.

It doesn't matter what religion you are, or what religion you say you are, people aren't perfect. But wanting to be Christ like is about understanding yourself inside and out, and choosing to do the best you can to be like him, even knowing you never will achieve it.

• Agreed that religion can be helpful but I am sure there are several other NON-FICTIONAL ways to bring about a change. Eg- Rehab.

• It gives you a place to say "oopsie, sorry, i did a bad thing but it's all ok now. I just have to apologize and go to church, not atone for my actions in any real life way"

• Surely going to church doesn't make you a good person, the maffia goes to the church too...

A church-going person isn't better then any other person but he/she admits to be in need of God's mercy (although that's why I go to church)

• Most of the seriously jacked up people I know are super religious.

• Define "seriously jacked up"? What are we talking about here, if you don't me asking?

• Yeah dude. Then he joined the military because he "enjoyed killing people". I've had some pretty crappy "friends" in my life. Looking back I think I was just afraid of them; they always seemed like the kind of kids who would shoot up a school so I wanted to stay on their good side.

• I'm sorry to hear that, but I can relate to the not so good friend track record (granted it was nothing like that). However, my dad's friends were like that. He said all his friends are either dead or prison. So, you can imagine what kind of friends he had.

• Yes, some do. Some don't.

• If you don't receive forgiveness for your sins, why should you deserve to be saved? Anything less than perfection is an insult to the perfect God.

• Its called faith. A better question would be why are atheists more prone to depression.

• 'Most' of them don't know what they are doing. They need some external virtual thing to stay in line. Even after that they can't.

• Church is when 3 or more people are together in service of God.

In my opinion there are no good or bad christians. Either you believe or you don't. It's that simple. Going to church is if you are hungry for more. There can be many reasons why people go to church, so I won't go further into that.

What Girls Said 3

• I think religion can be helpful and mind changing in many ways but at the end of the day, if your personality and morals aren't favourable, you will always be a 'bad' person no matter what your faith.

• Church doesn't make you a better person, anyone can go, what really matters is if God is part of your daily life, worshiping him is not about going to church and pretend to be a good person for an hour, I mean anyone can do that, worshiping him means that you have to show God's love in your actions. So yeah religious people can be contradictory, but thats the thing God is not religion.

• They act like Yo yo's to me. That's all I'll say about them.