What to do for a dog that appears to have skin allergies and also a thyroid problem?

Ok, so I have a lab mix. she's about 10 years old and she's overweight and is losing her hair. I live in NY so Its starting to get cold where I live. she's all pink from scratching and tearing out her fur. What can I do besides get her to a vet and feed her coconut oil? What is the best kind of dog food to get for someone like her? I heard food with limited ingredients is best, but what do you think? Im tired of seeing her suffer and the people I live with think she should just be put down! I dissagree and Im willing to pay high vet bills because Im the only one that seems to really even care about this poor dog!

• Wait and see what the vet says before getting her different food and changing her diet and eating patterns
  • Go ahead and keep feeding her the coconut oil and get her different dog food (what do you recommend?)

Most Helpful Guy

• I would get a line of blood work done on her, i know my cousin had a big dog that had skin allergies but she wasn't willing to get him help i do there's a online Vets who are legit http://www.drsfostersmith.com/ They may be able to give you some advice cause they use to give me advice on certain things i asked about my dog also skin conditions with hair loss is very common for Thyroid disorders in both animals and humans but by all means follow what the Vet says about her care and try not to let people get you upset and i wish you best with your dog i know it's easier said than done i got a 13 year old Cocker-spaniel and been up against some things with her health in the past also http://www.carecredit.com/ is a good credit card to get for a pet and they do offer low monthly payment plans on their credit card rates , I only pay like $35.00 a month on credit card bill with them , haven't used it much but least it's there if i should need to do so.

Most Helpful Girl

• I would definitely take her to a vet and get her the medication she needs. As for food, I would suggest getting a high quality dog food. Something with lots of nutrients. Talk to your doctor about how to help with the dry skin. That could be why she is pulling out her fur.

I had a lab who had a thyroid problem too. The best thing you can do is get her on medication as soon as possible. Try to keep her weight down also. Take her on regular walks, try not to bath her too often as that can dry the skin.

• I dont bath her because she's not a huge fan of water. But what I thought about doing was getting her one of those medicated baths that the groomers give... I think... and see what that does.

What Guys Said 2

• For the allergy I am pretty sure there they could take care of that. For the thyroid it depends thyroid problems are never easy to treat let alone cure and depending what type of thyroid problems a human or a dog has. Worst type of thyroid problem would be hoshimotos an auto-immune condition where your immune system attacks your thyroid hormones. And if your dog has hypo or hyper thyroid disease they would most likely give it either a hormone replacement pill or surgery all though the hormone pill could be hard cause 1. it takes a long time for the hormone level to balance like usually 6 months and 2. cause dogs can't digest pills.

• I live in NY too. Your dog might have a food allergy, skin allergy from something else, or another health problem.

Nothing close to putting the dog down that's crazy! What you can do is bring the dog to a vet and explain the symptoms, they can probably do a blood test and skin scrape to figure out what's causing the irritation and if there is thyroid issues. After then the vet can suggest appropriate treatment. Hope your dog feels better!

What Girls Said 3

• Take her to the Vet, please, @JamielovesKU for it is the Best from the Rest to do for her.
    Good luck. xx

• Wait and see what the vet says, it could be allergies, and if you hange her diet it could make it worse. I was co-oping at a vet clinic a couple I months ago and we had a cocker spaniel with a very similar problem. The owner had her allergy tested and found out she was allergic to 26 different things. We also were giving her a medical bath about every 3 weeks. It made a big difference

• you have to see what the vet says because different dogs have different allergies. my dog also has skin allergies to some dog food and some meat. You have to take her to a vet so they can run tests to be sure what she's allergic to. Never guess when it comes to their health..