Right now do you think america is in decline as a world power?

Right now do you think america is in decline as a world power? and who do you think is the president among the current lot to deal with this problem.

Most Helpful Girl

• "New World Order" Ready to Empower as I write this here, dear.
    Trump, Carly or even Rubio is my choice. However, Carson is also in there somewhere but First: He has to admit that OBAMA is a Muslim with telling the world he doesn't believe a Muslim belongs in the White House.
    Good luck. xx

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 1

• i think it is, but slowly. it'll take awhile though. y'all r in a lot of debt unfortunately =/
    i believe china is the next superpower on the rise.

What Guys Said 11

• Yes, I believe so. However, as a history student, I want to be fair and say that this might not purely be America's fault. There are famous historians and philosophers such as Foucault who argue that in fact, history passes in cycles. There was a time when Europe - particularly Great Britain (militarily) and the Netherlands (economically) - was a world power. These times are long gun. Then, towards the end of the 19th century, America became very big. The fact that the US became a global power was also partially due to good luck and coincidence. For example did world war two make a big difference in the making of a global power out of America.
    As it seems to me, these times of the US as a world leader also seem to slowly pass, just like the days of European world supremacy have passed.
    This is due both to external and internal political reasons. For one, I believe the times of large scale wars are virtually over the type of wars we fight has changed dramatically. American politicians don't want to accept this and mentally and emotionally still live back in the 1930s or 1940s where this typical wild west mentality still got them somewhere. Today, this is not the case anymore. Americans might think they are militarily potent but the truth is that almost every significant battle or genuine war the US has fought since world war two has lead both to an internal and global destabilization. Wars such as the one in Vietnam or Iraq are great examples for this. There is absolutely nothing, the US or the rest of the world would have gained from these conflicts. In the end, it was all just millions of wasted lives, destroyed infrastructures and stirred up anger.
    At the same time - and this is what American politics has been notoriously ignoring for decades - China has become big without any large wars. In fact, China is today hundreds of times more powerful in terms of economics. China owns all US debts and if they wanted to, they could effectively throw America back to the stone age within the blink of an eye, economically speaking. America has been wasting so much money on stupid wars that it has not realized how China is going all around the world buying up whole regions and cities. China uses the force of investment and tries to be friends with everyone. This ensures them a huge amount of trade and wealth. It's much more effective than going to other countries, bombing them and pissing off everyone. However, the wasted money on wars is also problematic because

• America spends all its money on the military instead of its own people. Americans who never travel abroad might not realize this but their country is in many ways a 2nd world country. When I first went to America, I was shocked to see that sidewalks were crumbling even in the big cities and some schools look terribly run-down. What America needs to do if it wants to have a chance against other global players is to become wealthy again in the same way it was wealthy right after world war two. This means social equality and a strong middle class with good prospects. This however, can only be achieved if the government invests in its own people, rather than in stupid wars and the military industrial complex. What America needs is money that goes into the infrastructure, health, education, research... those kind of things. It needs high taxes on the rich and low taxes on the poor. This may make the richest 1% a tad poorer but it will make the other 99% (and thus the whole country) rich.

• you do realize the technical definition of a second world country, right? i'm not gonna nitpick you too much, but you being an outsider looking in, i think you have a very limited understanding. and I don't know exactly what city you went to, but depending on which on (s) you visited and the area of that city, you could've ended up in a typically less developed area (ghetto/slum). which is pretty common among almost all cities around the world. for a more specific example, if you go up north, you might find the roads looking like shit because of the winter snow and salt. so they have to be repaved, which can take up to 6 months (i shit you not). as for military spending, it's absurdly high (40-45%), but i think around 60% goes to security alone. and being in the suburb of nyc, i really would like to have that being heavily spent so another 9/11 doesn't happen. as for the tax thing, i agree to an extent.

• i would say no only because all the other "superpowers" are experiencing similar if not worse economic issues. America in reality is experiencing a slow growth economically, commercially and trade wise. We are also now the largest producer of natural crude oil which means we can drastically reduce our importing (which cost money) and increase exporting (which makes money).

China was the biggest competition for the title of world superpower but their economic downturn seems to be larger and potentially more devastating than the US was

• Absolutely. It has been since 2000. America only ranks highest in defense spending, where we outspend the next 26 nations COMBINED, 24 of which are our allies...

No amount of presidential action will change the fact that American society is broken. That is the true reason for America's decline. It seems like a third of the country is content with living off the government, while another third spends it's time dodging taxes and helping only themselves by abusing a dysfunctional tax code, and the last third is so entrenched in the ongoing effort to earn more so they can be financially stable, they have forgotten that as a society, we need to lift each other up, not ourselves.

Unless there is a major culture shift, America will continue this decline, highlighted by ridiculous amounts of government spending that is representative of our xenophobic society and the abuse of government support. If government, or for that matter, any other social construct looks like it is broken, then that is merely a symptom of a weak, disinterested society.

• That big army is the reason you pay so much taxes.

• The G. O. P. would never vote that. :D :D

• Nobody in politics would, because why should they? It's more hassle to them than it's worth. It sucks, because it seems like the people in power only care about what is good for them alone. If it doesn't affect them, they won't lift a finger, just like the rest of this country.

• In relative terms, yes. In absolute terms, no.

When the dollar stops being the worlds reserve currency and oil trading nations decide they will sell their oil in another currency, then the US's power and standing in the world will very much be limited.

• Saddam menaced the dollar's position as unique oil currency. Iraq was invaded, Saddam was hung.
      Ghadafe menaced the dollar's position as unique oil currency. Libya was invaded, Ghadafe was shot.
      Who's the next one to dare that?

• Does America need to get away with
      *-first starving half a Iraqi million kids by sanctions and then killing one million iraqi civilians?
      *-bombing Serbia
      *-bombing Sudan
      *-bombing Afghanistan
      *-bombing Iraq
      *-bombing Libya
      *-arming rebels in Syria?
      (and with any more)

• And about every time for oil related wars!

• US mentality: let's go slaughter half of Iraq and Afghanistan, then we're confused why the other half are pissed off at us lol.

• It is, but I have hope, my choices for president are Trump, Cruz, Carson and Rubio.

• Trump? Broooo...

• @ConsultantIsBack I never said I was voting but he is one of the better choices out of all the candidates, I am leaning more towards Cruz, Carson and Rubio at the moment, I'm not going to make my final decision until I've finished researching them and watched all the debates, videos and interviews, I like to be very thorough when it comes to voting, I'm not like these other yahoos who are like look at Obama he's black lets vote for him.

• Oops meant to say I never said I was voting for him.

• I live in America and I don't care about it's status as a power cause we still have the most weapons and soldiers.

• yes I believe so economically more then militarily.

• That's why you pay so much taxes: to have the biggest army in the world.

• @jacquesvol I think the military is more about maintaining the petro dollar and international trade that uses the dollar. you will find that if you look into the details the military actually saves us money. maybe its time we just let the dollar collapse though.

• @dudeman " maintaining the petro dollar and international trade that uses the dollar." indeed, in my opinion, that's why Saddam and millions of Iraqis died and that's why Ghaddafe and tens of thousands or more Libyans died. That's why Assad has to be removed.

• no. no country has any right to be a world power. all have declined, what makes you any different? A China-dominated world may be a better one than yours.. like you launched nukes, created terrorists... and the like.

• ee, there's three kinds of people: dicks, pussies, and assholes. Pussies think everyone can get along, and dicks just want to fuck all the time without thinking it through. But then you got your assholes, Chuck. And all the assholes want us to shit all over everything! So, pussies may get mad at dicks once in a while, because pussies get fucked by dicks. But dicks also fuck assholes, Chuck. And if they didn't fuck the assholes, you know what you'd get? You'd get your dick and your pussy all covered in shit!

• No, I don't think so. Our diversity is our greatest strength. Obama has done a lot to pull this country out of the shit hole it was in when he took office...