Does anyone else feel behind emotionally in age then what age they actually are?

Like maybe you didn't get to do as much when you were younger or you've always been around adults never got to spend time just being a teen or whatever part of your life that was? How do you get past it?

Most Helpful Guy

• Definitely. I have been completely excluded in all social aspects of life for my whole life and it's caused me a lack of self-esteem and low confidence, and I am also too innocent and naive for my age (again, not my choice - I tried but the ostracization was too strong). I am in therapy currently.

Most Helpful Girl

• Definitely

What Guys Said 3

• No... I had a very happy childhood and puberty. In fact, for me it's more the opposite. I've always felt much older than I really was. This has a lot to do with the fact that I have a visual disability and I'm almost blind. In a way, I have always been forced to act very maturely. I had to take care of things that other children or teenagers don't have to take care of, such as explaining my disability to teachers and finding solutions for myself to participate in public schools or dealing with government institutions (not as a child of course, but as a teenager). I also had many surgeries that I had to go through. Because of my disability, I was always forced to think very rationally and maturely about my future. For example when I was 14 or 15, I couldn't just be like "arrrgh school is bullshit!" like all my class mates. Already at that age (in fact already when I was in elementary school) it was clear to me that I MUST excel academically in order to have a good life prospect with my disability. It also has to do with our education system in Switzerland, where only the very best students can go to university (only about 15-20% of the population goes to university). Already when I was 10 or 12, I knew that it would be impossible for me to become a cook or carpenter. I knew I had to make it to uni. But at the same time, I also knew that for example I can't become a doctor (I actually would have loved to become a doctor). So I had to think very smartly about things I can do that would also make me happy.
    So while other people my age were just being silly teenagers (and I certainly had those moments too), I had to act more like a 25 year old or so. Nowadays, I feel like partially because of this but also because of my character in general, I feel much older again than I am. For example I have never been much into clubbing or partying or the like. I'm more thinking about having a family (and how to have children in my situation), settling down... these kind of things. So inside, I'm more like a 35-year old I guess ;-).

• You apparently need to act like what you want to become, then you'll feel like it. So if you want to feel older you need to act it.

• True. But what if you feel bitter that you never got to do something that everyone else did when they were younger?

• I missed out on a few things, but for me it's all about the now and I can change my current circumstance but not my past.

• Good thinking

• i am 44, i am torn between feeling a lot younger, and older> Depends on who i am around and my mood

What Girls Said 0