What's your defenition of a good person?

So what's your defenition of a good person?

Most Helpful Guy

• I think someone who thinks about their actions and how they affect others. They make sure that their actions will benefit other people.

Most Helpful Girl

• Someone who treats others with kindness and respect.

What Guys Said 4

• I try my best to avoid and make a big detour around labels such as "good" and "bad". I consider them annoyingly oversimplified. I don't think any person is inherently good or inherently bad. Both exceptional goodness as well as exceptional evil rests in each and every one of us. This can be seen well when looking at famous psychological studies. One example would be the Milgram experiment, where seemingly normal, "good" people were willing to kill a fellow human being simply because they had been told to do so by an authority figure (there are also studies about seemingly bad people who did very good things).
    However, I also don't like the labels "good" and "bad" because they make us believe that we have power over how we are. I believe that this is not the case. The notion of free will feels very warm and cuddly and liberating and that is why so many people like it (particularly in the western world). The truth however is that most of our actions are pre-determined. Not by a god or a higher being but by the circumstances of our existence. To give you a very trivial and possibly over-simplified example: most people who abuse or rape children have been victims to the very same crimes in their own childhood. While this doesn't justify their crimes obviously, it raises the question whether we can just mark them as "bad people" and throw them into a dark hole somewhere. The fact that sometimes people can be victims and culprits at the same time seems to be too much to understand/process for society. Most people like it simple: black or white, good or bad etc. The problem is that this notion has very, very little to do with actual reality.

A further problem is that we would have to define what "good" actually means. For example if someone says that he/she likes to be treated with politeness and respect, we have to ask ourselves what these things really mean. This seems trivial at first but think about your own social environment. Do all members of your family and all your friends have the same understanding of politeness for example? I know of my own family that this is not the case. It becomes even more confusing when you know people of different cultures. I love travelling and have several foreign aunts and uncles and a foreign girlfriend. Often, what people of one culture consider polite may be considered very impolite in a different culture. So it's really complicated. Perhaps to put it in a nutshell, I like to spend my time with people who are tolerant.

• Yeah anyone thats isn't me ☺

• If they are friendly and compasionate towards all types of people

• Have to be polite in nature to every one.

What Girls Said 4

• Someone who is nice to everyone. Not just a select group of people. I hate it when a person is a bitch to some people, but then is nice to you. I don't like that in a friend. Just because you don't like the person doesn't mean you have to be a bitch to them, especially if that person has never actually done anything to you and you're just being a bitch for no reason. I hate two-faced people like that.

• Someone who does the right thing (even) when it's not in their best interest to do so.

• Someone who has empathy.

• Someone that only wants he best for everyone.