If Religion ceased to exist and only faith remained- would there be world peace? Or am I being simplistic about how fucked up human nature is?

Most Helpful Guy

• On the one hand it would seem that simplistic but on the cynical side most conflict is about imposing a pecking order into society that favours your group. So how long before a new social order develops based on some random scale. I don't think conflict ever goes away but through peaceful mediation the mainstream grows and the extremist numbers at both ends become smaller a la Northern Ireland and South African model.

What Girls Said 3

• You're being simplistic I think. Humans will always find a reason to fight, greed, power, domination etc... WW1 and WW2 causes weren't religious.

• In order to have world peace, we would have to have no differences. That means no religions, no races, and no gender either.

• I agree, there would be a lot less fighting/wars if religion was abolished...

What Guys Said 7

• I think there exists a misunderstanding that faith and religion can be separated. Obviously, this is not true on the scale of a whole society (even if individually it is possible). Religion is eventually nothing more than a connection of people with (more or less) the same faith. So if religion didn't exist but faith did, it would only take days for people to get together according to their individual faiths and create new religions.

Also, many people like to proudly proclaim that they don't belong to any religion but that they just have their individual, personal faith. Myself, I can't understand what's supposed to be better about this than belonging to a religion. Faith is per definition an opinion, position or ideology one holds without having actual evidence for it. So there exists a huge variety in terms of content (anything from Mormonism to Homeopathy can be categorized as "faith") but in terms of the basic nature of these faiths, they are all very similar. I personally think that beliefs/faiths of ANY kind are highly destructive and dangerous for society and for humankind. We have a highly developed brain and the capacity for rational thought. There is absolutely no good reason for anyone to believe anything based on faith. Some like to claim that "one cannot live without a faith". This could not be further from the truth. In my opinion, having faith is an expression of mental laziness. People don't want to learn more about certain things, so they simply believe some rubbish because it feels good. I don't want to believe what feels good, I want to believe what's true. In other words: there are things I know are true and these are things I believe in for very good reason. On the other hand, there are many things I can't know and so I simply accept that I can't know them. I'm very much opposed to believing something for no good (rational) reason.

Faith, just like religion, is extremely destructive because it makes assumptions where the chance of these assumptions being true is about as good as when you play Roulette, in most cases even much worse. Faith is a very bad basis to make decisions, especially if such decisions involve other people.

• Not all wars are caused by religion. It's just another reason or excuse among many other.

There needs to be a fundamental change in the human psyche for there to be peace.

• greed would still exist, so no dice on the world peace hopes.

• Not all wars are related to religion. Usually when it is involved it's as a justification. The same happens to other thing aside from religion. Many wars start because we want what someone else wants, or they want what we have, or we don't like them, or they don't like us or because on party is contrary to the others interests. Besides, and this may sound bad, but humans love conflict. They love fighting and killing and feeling powerful, they love the drive and purpose it gives them. We remember it, dream about it, glorify it. Since humans have existed there has been war between us, and the most aggressive and warlike survived. The others were killed. So, we can assume that over the course of 200,000 years of human history, natural selection has made us pretty inclined to kill each other if it's beneficial to us, so expecting us to suddenly stop over something very trivial happening when it is literally in our DNA to do so is pretty naive. Besides, in the end, does it really matter? War happens, we all die sometime. Mightn't we at least make it interesting?

• In the Middle Ages wars came as a result of the actions of the organized religions (well it was actually politics mostly but still). Nowadays organized religions don't do that BUT people now still fight in the name of their faith (well politics actually but still).

• @ElissaDido is right. You are being simplistic.

Wars have been fought since ancient times.

• Religion is just what they write on the banner when they send the young men out to fight.

War is about resources, 98% of the time.