Is there a way to "practice" having a dog?

My boyfriend and I are wanting a dog, but he's concerned about us not having the time (we both work full time). I think it'll be fine since we have different schedules, so one of us is usually home before long. So he is wanting to find some way for us to practice, to see how we'd do. He offered our friend to keep her dog while she's out of town this week, but she ended up opting to leave her dog with her family since she's a bit skittish.

So is there a way for us to borrow a dog for a week or two? Do shelters do that?

Most Helpful Girl

• You can become a foster home for a dog, which will allow you to have one temporarily. You have to apply though.

What Guys Said 4

• You can start picking up your own poop with a plastic bag every morning...

• Different kinds of dogs require more time being with you to be properly socialized and well adjusted. Some, like Malamutes are very independent, others will be a neurotic mess if you leave them alone eight hours a day. Two dogs are better than one if they have to be left alone, though that can cause it's own kind of trouble.

Personally I wouldn't get a dog unless I could be with him nearly all the time. Dogs are from another era, like horses, when people weren't on the clock.

• There is no practice really, all the things you will need to know you will learn on the spot of dog ownership.

• I'm no stranger to dog ownership :) My boyfriend would just feel better if we had practice first, with our schedules and setting a routine.

• Go to the spca they will probably lend you one

What Girls Said 1

• I'm not sure that they would let you borrow one. You could go and ask, but it might unsettle the dog, so they might say no. Is there no one else who has a dog you could borrow?

• We have one other friend with a dog, but he's not very well trained. My boyfriend dog-sat him once just overnight (I was out of town so I wasn't there) and he doesn't want him back, lol.

Fostering might be an option, but I'm hoping more for just a week or so rather than months. Think I could post a dog sitting ad on Craigslist or is that sketchy?