Whats your opinion on the Volkswagen scandal?

Volkswagen has been accused of equipping 11 million cars with software designed to cheat emissions tests to say they emit less than what they do to meet EPA standards unethically. The CEO has stepped down. Do you think they should face penalties?

• Yes they should
  • No they shouldn't
Would you be surprised if Ford, GM, Chrysler, Volvo, Toyota etc... did the same thing?
And would you ever buy a Volkswagen again?

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• They definitely need to be penalized. People spent good money on those cars and they've been cheated, as has the environment. It's a HUGE black eye and it's gonna take a long time for them to overcome it.

• Would you be surprised if other car companies have done likewise?

• I don't think I'd be terribly shocked.

That said, some car manufacturers have better reputations than others when it comes to real-world mpg vs. reported mpg.

• Fords are usually good at that

What Girls Said 3

• they knowingly polluted the environment, how can you put a price on that? They tricked everyone from the government (multiple ones) to normal people. People trusted Volkswagen and they broke that trust with this. I don't know what they're going to do tbh. They have about 600 000 vehicles in NA that are affected and being a German company my guess is that the vehicle is more popular there. Add in they are the top selling car in the world as of last year. How do they expect to fix all the affected vehicles both on the road, being made and in storage? Shrugs* they're stuck and will have many law suits to deal with so good luck to them

• The US and Switzerland already halted all sales of VWs in the country. Australia and Canada will probably be next

• Yes they will, my step mom had a passat which should have been renamed POS, and my grandparents bought a beetle in the 70's and it was a lemon

• they're screwed right now, i think their market value dropped by either 20-40% when it happened at first too. it'll be interesting to see the final outcome of everything

• I read in another post of yours about the scandal, but it was only mentioned briefly.

This is disgusting. I would hope they are punished to the fullest extent. This is deception and manipulated buyers and, in the long run, hurt the environment. And, I would hope other companies are looked into.

• I'm not into European manufactured cars... 😅

• They are made in America as well and Australia if i'm not mistaken

• The Asian branded cars dominate here. Volkswgen is not a first choice for many.

• Volkswagen is not big here either due to it's past, Asian and US cars dominate here too,. Toyota and Ford, then Chevrolet is the biggest brands here

What Guys Said 9

• This is huge in my opinion. I don't know the best thing to do. It's easy to say they should be severely penalized. Maybe they should. But I think the goal is to reduce emissions. So rather than penalizing the heck out of them, force them to 1) retroactively fix the existing cars as much as possible. And 2) agree to put extensive resources into research for future cars.

Penalizing them out of business doesn't solve anything... except maybe to act as a deterrent for other companies. I think it's much better to let them stay in business, but force them to make amends.

The consumers are not the victims. The environment is the victim. So make them recompense the environment.

• Would it surprise you if Ford or GM did the same thing?

• you think there may have been payoff at VW to cover it up?

• I doubt it. People are very good at rationalizing. Probably somebody did it in good conscience. They probably though that the emissions standards were too rigid considering the available technology.

I don't know the details about this either. I've only heard it second hand since I don't watch/read the news. What I don't understand is why they felt they needed to cheat. I don't know how it's done in other countries, but I thought in the US that the emission standards were an average of all vehicles produced by the company. VW only makes small cars and should easily meet the requirements. A company like GM that make larges cars has to average those large cars with the smaller cars, so it's harder to meet standards.

• Yes, Volkswagen should have to pay the price for what they did. They did the crime so they need to do the time. Volkswagens are under investigation in New Zealand to. Also Switzerland I think has banned the sales of Volkswagens until this has been sorted. Remember that Audi and Skoda are also under investigation to because they are also owned by the Volkswagen group.

• Same here in the US in fact 28 states are filing a lawsuit against VW

• My friend has a 2003 Volkswagen Beetle and it struggles to cold start and when it does it smokes. Keep in mind it does not get very cold in winter in Auckland compared to many other climates around the world.

• Also my sister had a Volkswagen Golf GTI and the computer in her car would randomly decided there is something wrong with her car when there was not and shut the car down which would mean it would not start. She would have to get someone with the equipment to reset the computer and then the car would start again until the next time the computer in her Volkswagen decided there was something wrong again. A guy my sister worked with also had the same problem with his Volkswagen to and he actually bought the equipment to keep in his car and when the computer in his Volkswagen would not let his car start he would lift the bonnet and reset the computer and then start it.

• We've known about it for years (and apparently it has been encouraged and nobody did anything, so it's hard to get too mad at VW (it's not just them either).

However, in the UK, the amount of road tax you pay is proportional to the amount of CO2 your car emits, so I shall expect that as the driver of an old Toyota, I receive a very substantial reduction in my next tax renewal, subsidized by all the VW owners having to cough up what they *should* have paid, but didn't.
    Seriously, I pay £180 per year to tax my 1.4L hatchback, while the owner of an equivalent (but supposedly greener) VW only pays £20. Basically, VW drivers owe me £80 (per year).

• yeah, they definitely screwed over a lot of customers. How will they pass state inspection? A unregistered car is as good as a worthless car.

• In my old state we had no inspections so any kind of car could run even a old rusted junk heap

• I wouldn't buy any Volkswagens to begin with but if it's the same as audio then IDGAF I'd still rock an ahdi

• They should face stiff penalties. Still I think with the average car shopper it won't do too much damage in terms of the brand, especially not in the long run.

• I think they should be fined, for going against they law but not so much for the actual scandal. all is fair in the business world

• Eck, typical corporate scandal