How do I get the cat to trust me?

I have a cat that has started hanging around my home recently, but it seems to be shy around people. There isn't any tags or something that would show it's even been a pet. My wife and I have been trying to get it to come to us for months, but it tends to take forever and neither of us have a lot of patience, my wife even more so. We have an indoor cat and outdoor cat. The outdoor cat does not like the new cat at all, but she doesn't like any animals including our indoor cat. Recently my parents visited and the cat came to them and later to me rubbing against my hand before running off because we got up to go inside. I know this isn't the usual type of question, but I thought I would get more answers on here than other places.

It's a black cat that has decided to start living under my shed. It took me awhile to figure out who was eating my outdoor cat's food. Her name is Adidas. My wife got her as a child. Anyway, it responds to the sound of food about half the time. It's slow about coming close and runs off if you stand up or move in any way. It also runs from my indoor cat when he comes to the window or screen door.

Most Helpful Girl

• You can adopt him if you want but know if it isn't trained properly before you take him in it could poop in your house or on your carpet and it could get attacked or killed by your current cat. Try bribing it with treats and see if that helps.

Most Helpful Guy

• Food buys you the cat's sympathy.
    ;-)

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 3

• Keep some cat delicious food on your hand and ask it to come, don't touch it for the first few times till it's comfortable around you. And soon it will come to you and start nudging your leg.

• Let it borrow money from you, give it good advice, remember it's birthday

All are good ways to earn trust

• Tell it some jokes and it will start being more comfortable