How do I tell my family that I'm not Christian?

My family has always told me that I had to be Christian and that anything else is wrong. A couple years ago I realized that I wasn't, and that a lot of things in the bible are just... wrong. But they're still making me go to church every week and I'm just... I'm so SICK of this. Yesterday they wasted my day and made me go to this woman's conference for church. I have nothing against Christians, I just don't believe in the bible, and don't want to be called a Christian.

Most Helpful Guy

• This is so wrong, and bordering on child abuse, your parents can't FORCE you to be something you aren't or dont want to be. And as you have probably found out, you dont need religion to be a good person. Have you told them you want to be your own person?
    You are 18 soon so then legally they can't have any say in your life at all

• I try all the time, they literally sit down and pray that "God cleanses my soul and allows me to let him in"

• If they 100% believe in God, all you can do is move out when you can, people who are that stuck in their ways won't change

What Guys Said 3

• At this point your best shot is to simply tolerate it for now and then move out and live your life free from their influence whenever you can. You could convince a child or a younger adult to change their faith. But grown and mature people... if they are this devout at that age then they are beyond reasoning - you would have a better chance at convincing a brick wall to let you pass through than convincing Christian parents to change their ways.

• I unfortunately think you cannot do anything until you found a means to move out, or just move to someone else.

• You don't. It won't make things better.

What Girls Said 2

• Being raised in Christianity since I was conceived, I completely understand where you're coming from. When being forced into something for such a long time, it's only natural to get suffocated and want to run. Once I turned about your age, I wanted to throw in the towel on the church I was going to, though I was and still am genuinely a born again believer of Jesus Christ. It's just the church I was raised up in was and still is a cult. Finally when I was 19, I left.

I'm guessing it'll be a huge deal if you told your parents that you aren't or no longer Christian. If your parents are TRUE and good Christians, they will not hold it against you, though they will be terribly upset. They should know that if God who is our Creator won't force us to love Him, then neither should they. They are not greater than God.
    ... although I have a feeling it won't go too easily for u when u tell them. If that's the case, you'll just have to do what you're told until u move out. 😕

• You have to be adamant and not play their game. Tell them they are on the road to being disowned if they continue in this way. You must be strong, stronger than the two of them. It will mean a huge amount of upset. What they are doing amounts to the same as a controlling husband. Not allowing you to be yourself. They did not have a child to control. They should allow you to be the master of your own destiny. Dig your heels in and say NO! PM me if you need to chat in private. Good luck!