Jesus ordered us to drink wine. Why aren't you drink?

Why not?

Most Helpful Guy

• Perhaps some context would be helpful.

2000 years ago, there were no water treatment plants besides the Earth itself. Just like today, open surface water (lakes, rivers, streams) were full of germs and parasites that could make you sick (which was frequentl fatal), and it often got much worse if there were dead animals, or even people (think: war), in the water, or if human waste was emptied into it upstream, as frequently happened.

Wine and mead and beer were alcoholic, so most of the bad stuff would be killed by the alcohol and thus safe to drink. Recommending wine over water (the main alternative) was more of a safety measure than anything else. The same is true of the recommendations against pork, which must be thoroughly cooked to be safe for humans to eat - something that wasn't always possible.

We live in a different world today, one where we can't afford to be buzzed or drunk during every waking hour, and one where life expectancy is considerably higher than 40 years old.

Most Helpful Girl

• Bc i only drink vodka

What Guys Said 5

• Scotch is my choice of poison.

• I am not Christian, would be my simple answer.

• As I'm in UK I can only drink in public if its with a meal... and I'm not having a meal

Also I'm an atheist but the getting drunk bit sounds fun

• Why aren't you drink? Because I is human and not a shape shifter.

• Because I am an AA member.

What Girls Said 2

• cause i am underage its also barely the afternoon and not really the time to drink

• More like 'offered' us a drink of wine