How is it for non white Christians to live in the Bible Belt?

Is it really tough or is it okay? Because it seems pretty scary.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's like living anywhere else...

Most Helpful Guy

• While I am white, so I admit I may be wrong, I think you’re confusing the racists "White Pride" sects, that claim to be Christian, that you find all over the US (but are more vocal in the Bible Belt) and "Christianity" as a whole. To think it's "pretty scary", makes it sound like only racist Christianity is found in the Bible belt. That is simply not true. These groups may be very vocal, but they don’t even make up even a small percentage of Bible belt churches. They are the exception, not the rule.

There are many many churches in the Bible belt, all of whom cater to different worship styles and neighborhood. Some congregations are almost all minorities, but just as many are evenly mixed (like mine is). For example, in 2008, 45% of Southern Baptists were African American. There are also churches that are mostly white, but have no problems with minority attending, but due to location or other factors, seem to attract white people.

I would say that minorities probably attend church more often in the Bible belt, just like whites do, then outside the Bible belt, so if you are "Christianity" and a minority, then living in the Bible belt is a good thing.

• Based on the responses to the answers, It seems that you need to reword your question to "How is it for non-Christians to live in the Bible Belt?", and leave race out of it. There are "White" Muslim, Buddhists, etc, do adding the "White" part makes your question have a different meaning.

• As for your question, I live in the Bible belt, and I know that significant numbers of non-Christians Churhes in my area. I know of an orthodox Islamic center and even Nation of Islam ("Black Muslims") center. There is a Jewish population nearby, along with other non-Christian faiths include Hinduism, Baha'i and Buddhism. The fact is, while the Bible belt is mostly “Christian”, it is more about being "religious", no matter what that religion is. Which I admit that there are those extremists in every community, who are going to hate on non-Christian faiths (or even other Christian faiths), I don’t think it is any worse for non-Christians in the Bible belt verses places like New York and Los Angeles. I think if anyone could claim to have a harder time in the Bible belt, it would be atheists. You can’t drive down the street without seeing 10 churches (no I’m not exaggerating), or go to a store without someone tying to get you to attend there church, or go to a park without a church

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 5

• It just depends on where you live. I'm not Christian, and I've never been given a hard time about it. I live in Birmingham, Alabama, by the way.

It's only a big deal if you happen to live in a small town where everyone is of the same mind and that mind is an unforgiving one. Which is rare. Pretty much anyone you go, you'll probably have some assholes, but there will also be good people. Just don't surround yourself with the assholes!

• If anything, your Christianity will be a common denominator. Or are you saying you are not christian either?

• I'm asking about anyone who isn't a non white Christian. That may include anyone who's both minority and a Christian or anyone who isn't a Christian like Jewish, Muslim, etc.

• The Bible Belt is chock full of Black Christians, too. Quite devout ones at that.

• in the bible belt? what do you mean?

• I guess I live on the outer edges of it, but it seems fine. The only time I've ever been accosted with religion is once when I went to D. C. There were two girls that were telling my friends and I that we were going to hell unless we accepted Jesus and their denomination. I think they were Mormons. I felt embarrassed that they were walking up to people, especially tourists and say those kinds of things.
    Oh and Jehovah's Witnesses, but they are nice enough.

As far as racism goes, I am of the opinion that it's vastly overblown. Not a popular opinion, I know.

• Don`t look any white folks in the eye and you will get by