Poll: Do you think it's a cop out to "agree to disagree"?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• No, it's not a cop out. Sometimes it's obvious that nobody will convince anyone of anything and nobody will change their mind no matter what, it's actually a mature way to end the conversation instead of unnecessarily wasting time arguing for hours.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes and no. In small questions, I can agree to disagree with friends but in bigger questions, I need people to have the same or a similar opinion as I do. So for example my best guy friend has a very different music taste than I do. He also has a rather different taste in women. He also loves partying and being wild on the weekends and drinking lots of alcohol and hooking up with girls while I have a long-term girlfriend and I'm much more of homebody. I like to spend my weekends at home being lazy, out in the nature or maybe going out for dinner and a movie. So in these things, the two of us work very differently. I don't think I can ever find night clubs cool or the music my best friend listens to but that's okay. He's just different in that.
    However, we are still very similar because we have a lot of very similar opinions on big subjects such as politics or religion. Now, the reason I say these are big topics is not because I'm a man and thus particularly interested in them but because they inform our whole being and way of thinking to a large degree. Our whole world-view, our view on us and other people is affected or even coined by our political and religious opinions. This is why for example in these two topics, I need people who are close to me to be on the same page with me.
    Finally, there's of course also the matter of closeness. The closer somebody is to me, the more he/she has to be similar to me (especially in those big questions). For example: Some of my best friends are christians. We're western European, so they're not like crazy bible-thumping christians but rather very mild, tolerant christians. Being an atheist myself, I'm fine with that. I don't understand it and I think they're being silly but even best friends can be confusing sometimes. On the other hand, I could never have a girlfriend/wife who is religious (regardless of the specific religion). It just doesn't work. It would bother me way too much. I love logic and rational thinking and love having long debates about issues and I know this girlfriend/wife would get annoyed/bothered by it after some time and I would bothered by her lack of rational thinking. As I said... it just wouldn't work.

What Girls Said 2

• No, sometimes its the most mature thing to do when you dont have the same perspective as someone else.

• Not at all. Some people have different opinions and it's fine. I'm a huge fan of Disney movies and my best friend hates them. I'm never going to convince her otherwise, and attempting it may cost me my friendship. So we just agree to disagree.

What Guys Said 5

• No, I think it is a more mature thing to do. The immature thing to do is to start name calling and things like that. It just means that you both have different opinions and you don't want to get into an argument about it.

• SOMETIMES.

When it is used as an excuse to shut down debate constantly, yes.

When there are two viewpoints and neither one has done a good job of making a very convincing argument or if you literally just don't have time, no.

• No sometimes you just realize that the other person will not change their mind so it's best to end the argument.

• No it's stupid to spend a whole day arguing about something that isn't that important.

• Its really just a way to get the other person to shut up