Color or Colour?

Color or Colour?

• Colour
  • Color

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends where you are from - I think it is only US that use "Color"

What Girls Said 15

• Colour. I'm from the UK and have only ever spelt it that way. Color sounds like COLOOR in my head.

• "Color" from where I live. However, I have seen this "Colour" and to be quite Honest... I love this spelling better.
    This beautiful shape and it's "Colour" is Most fitting, @Do_It_with_Spam
    Good luck. xx

• i spell it colour.

• Colour. I'm Canadian.

• Colour, spelt the way its pronounced :) and how its supposed to be spelled.

• Colour, for sure.

I'm British.

• Colour. Color sounds like Kolorr in my head with a horrible Dutch accent.

• Color, because they taught me British English in school.

• Brah, don't steal my question. xD

• American
    color

• I'm Canadian and we spell it colour.

• I use both but I lean more towards colour,

• I am from the US and spell it color

• I spell it "colour".

• The spelling depends on where you are from.

What Guys Said 11

• Colour, Flavour, Favour, criticise (and other -ise words), were all changed in the US by a man or company who set to change and simplify the standards for spelling in America, and it rapidly caught on.

Colour become color. Flavour became flavor, Favour became favor, and -ise words like "criticise" became -ize words like criticize.

Some of the words never caught on, like "contor", which we still spell contour.

That's why we see these spellings so much in the US. And since the US is the birthplace of the internet as we know it, the spellings started catching on elsewhere as well.

• Both are the correct way of spelling the word but I write "color" since that's how it's spelled in American English and last time I checked I am 100% American Made.

• FYI: Americans didn't create the word "Color". Matter of fact, that version of the word is older then the entire country of America. Prior to the 17th century England had this habit of creating several alternate ways to spell one single word. "Colour" was one of these words that had several alternates (colour, coolor, colur, culoure and color), all which were correct at the time. The British eventually made up their mind in the 18th century and went with the "colour" version while America went with "color" in the 19th century.

America went with color because of Webster aka the man who developed the "Webster Dictionary". He did this because he wanted a more simplified version of the English words plus he wanted America to be different. This prompt him to do a lot of things like drop the "u" out of flavour and "honour" along with dropping the "k" in the word "publick".

Both variations of the word is right and neither variation is wrong. Color is just as correct as Colour

• I know color is the American English version, but I literally face palm every time I see it. Other words like flavor or math or critisize make me crease too...

• Depends of US or UK/Aus/Canada

• I spell it color, because only countries that spell it that way have been to the moon.

• Colour ))))

• colour is how I learned it

• Color. Cause Murica, That's why :D

• c o l o r.

• color
    answermine

• British- colour
    American-color lazy spellers

• Although I am American the true spelling is "colour".

• It was to make the spelling reflect the pronunciation.

• @Fibbett And many words we have different issues with.