How possible is it for a woman to still give birth to a child in her late 30s-early 40s?

I'm just curious. I have an older brother who's dating a 35 year old woman (with no children) and they plan on having a child. However, I've heard that once a woman hits her 30s, it's going to be much more difficult for them to have kids.

• Yes
  • No
Edited question: *Is it still highly possible* for a woman in her late 30s-early 40s to still give birth to a child?

Sorry for the typo in my question.

Most Helpful Girl

• I had my daughter when I was 36.

I was considered "high risk" and took the appropriate testing to be sure she was healthy. Otherwise, it was no different than any other pregnancy.

Women are getting pregnant much later now. I admit it is odd as a 48 year old woman to have a ten year old child; all my peers have kids in college and high school and the fellow 10 year old moms are much younger than I.

On the other hand, I did all my "living" and was emotionally in a great place to be a mom.

Most Helpful Guy

• The risk of woman giving birth to a child with down syndrome or other disabilities increases with age. Just because you can have a child in your 40s doesn't mean you should. Too many women wait until their mid and late thirties thinking that they will have time but the real truth is that women are biologically supposed to have kids in their late teens and twenties. Obviously I recognise women's right to choose when they have kids and women's right to a career, I also know that its hard for modern women to find a partner, balance a career and decide the right time to have kids and then raise them. Men are in the same boat as a man may be fertile into his fifties but his sperm has a best before date too.

What Girls Said 18

• Yes it's totally possible. Some women even choose to have children even later en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pregnancy_over_age_50

• It is possible, tho the risk may increase as the age increases. If I'm not mistaken, there's a 40+ (early 40s, can't remember how old is she) lady that just got pregnant this year and is gonna give birth soon. However, because she's already 40+, her risk is quite high. She had to stay on bed throughout her pregnancy and she couldn't really sit up straight.

• Everyone is different. Menopause doesn't just hit you when you hit a certain age. It takes time. If you've been on the pill a long time, you can actually delay menopause (a bit.).

• she should be fine, loads of women dont start til their 30s. My mum was 36 when she had me :)

• Its possible but anything after 35 she falls into the high risk category were problems could happen with her or the baby

• it is totally possible..

• Yeah but does a woman's fertility greatly reduce in their late 30s? Just curious.

• yes it is not the same as 20s but everything has pros and cons. women this age probably know themselves better than women in their 20s do There's a clear drop-off in fertility between ages 29 and 35, but the majority of 35-year-old women still won't have a problem, However, by 38 or 39, age becomes a big factor. you are thinking about the first kid,.. but if you think about the whole families.. then most women have their 2nd or 3rd kid in late 30s.. don't they?

• it might be still possible but its gonna be risky!!!

• It depends on the person. My mother had me in her late thirties and it wasn't difficult for her. It's just factors such as fibroids and other things that make it difficult for some women.

• Yep it's still quite easy for women at that age to get pregnant. Your risks go up a little more after you hit 35 though with the possibility of a downs child or more risks like high blood pressure diabetes etc to the mother.

• It happens all the time now.

• As long as she has no health problems that would complicate her birth.. it's not an issue.

• she might get a special procedure done. I think it's called IVF. or, she could do it naturally if she's very healthy... my mom had me when she was 32 w/o any procedures!

• It's risky but it's still possible. My mother had my now teenaged brother when she was 36.

• Still perfectly possible.

As long as the woman has not had her menopause yet.

• it's possible but it's a lot more risky.

• My grandmother had her last child at age 42. It's not just a modern phenomenon. In past decades, women had kids up until they went through menopause a lot of times.

• Yup, my Mum had me when she was 30, my brother when she was 37, my sister when she was 38, and my other sister when she was 42

• You're fine in your early 30's, but after 35 it gets more difficult and can results in complications.

What Guys Said 10

• it is still highly possible to have a child up until a woman hits menopause, especially with modern medicine... that said after 30 years old the rates for complications increase year by year. now days up til 35-37 it is still relatively easy to conceive and have a healthy child. after 37 the risk of complications goes up significantly... however it's still possible to conceive and give birth

• you must be like 18 or younger to ask something like this. 35-40's is not old. You put 55-60's and you have a better question. Those that want a career first are not going to be getting pregnant until around 40. It is not a "miracle" or even a "wow" age. it is just normal.

• It's all downhill from there. "You run the risk of... If you decide to go on with the pregnancy", "There is a chance the baby may not make it" "You may not make it" "You may develop this" "The baby may develop this". 35 is just not the age for women to be having kids.

• 35 is a totally fine age for kids.. 40+ is when we can call it a bit late..

• @cinderelli I disagree with you.

• i do know that fertility decreases after 29 or 30.. but not as much.. there is just a slight difference,.. after 38 its a big difference,.. so it is fine to have kids till the age of 35 or 36.. many women have their 2nd or 3rd or 4th kids in this age... don't think about only the first one..

• they can still get pregnant, it isn't until they hit menopause that it gets really hard to have children.

• Same way it's possible for men in their 80s to get women pregnant biology and genetics.

• In earlier times it was more dangerous, these days medical science has progressed so much that even women in their late thirties can have perfectly healthy child, all that is required is a good doctor and proper medical care

• My mother had me at 35.
    Although I guess the conception happened at 34.

• cool story bro.

• It is very possible.

• Possible? Yes. But the child would be at a significantly higher risk of birth defects. And some women won't be able to successfully conceive.