Some basic algebra help?

Ok, so my little brother wants help with these questions, but i have forgotten how to answer!!! PLease help asap with how to answer these, or at least the formula/equation

"Three less than eleven times a number is the same as nine less than twice the number. Find the number."
"An orange has 20 fewer calories than a banana. If seven bananas have the same number of calories as nine oranges, how many calories does each number have?"

"At a concert 720 items were sold at the concession stand. Three times as many soft drinks were sold as hamburgers. How many hamburgers, hot dogs, and soft drinks were sold?"
Cycle Paths Inc. makes bicycles, tricycles, and unicycles. Last week they made 88 more bicycles than unicycles, and 5 times as many tricycles as unicycles. If they make 40 more bicycles than tricycles, how many unicycles did they make?"

"eight times a number plus 3 times a number is the same as 9 more than 12 times the number. Find the number."
I will love you forever

0|0
3|7

Most Helpful Guy

• 11X - 3 = 2X - 9 /+3 /-2X
    9X = -6
    X = -6/9 = -2/3

and

O = B-20
    7B = 9O

Then you're like
    7B = 9(B-20)
    7B = 9B - 180 /+180 /-7B
    180 = 2B
    B = 90
    O = B-20 = 70

@Maxemeister rabbits love fruit

I'm actually a bit confused about the third one because there is no limitation for the hot dogs. I guess they want an equation for that? Meh.

I'm a bit too tired for the next few. Sorry.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 6

• I can solve these, and show you how but I'm in a car waiting for our son give me 20 or 30 minutes to get back to the store and I'll do it.

0|0
    0|0
    • yes really? You are my saviourr

• Show All
    • last problem
      "eight times a number plus 3 times a number is the same as 9 more than 12 times the number. Find the number."
      8X+3X= 12X +9
      12X=12X +9
      X=9

• At a concert 720 items were sold at the concession stand. Three times as many soft drinks were sold as hamburgers. twice as many hot dogs were sold as hamburgers. How many hamburgers, hot dogs, and soft drinks were sold?"
      S+(Hot Dogs or D) D+H=720
      3H+2H+H=720
      6H=720
      120 Hamburgers
      360 soft drinks
      240 Hot dogs

• 11x-3=2x-9

9(x-20)=7x

720=3x+x-->4x=720

88/5(x)+x+x/5= (x+40)+x

8x+3=9+12x

the bike one may be wrong. the rest should be right.

0|0
    0|0
  • 1. 11n-3 = 2n; n=unknown number
    9n-3 = 0
    9n = 3
    n=3

2. o-20 = b
    7b=9o
    7b=

3.720= a;a= all, s= soft drinks,
    a= 3s+h
    720= 3s+h

That's all I could get. Sorry.

0|1
    0|0
  • Miss anon will love us forever for doing her homework, guys did you hear that? !

0|0
    0|0
  • 11x-3= 2x-9

Couldn't get the orange one 0_0

720= 3x + x

All I know

0|0
    0|0
    • hahaaha well thanks xD i just can't find x now like how do you do that :p

• Show All
    • okkk so when i get to 9, do i put it as negative nine or positive

• U move the nine to minus three, change the -9 to plus nine, cuz it's the opposite sign, and add 9 to negative 3.

• just replace the words with math signs... "a number" means X.

0|0
    0|0
    • I know that

• Show All
    • haha ohh whops i think that was a typo :P also really? that seems kinda odd, x being 0,667

• just write it as the fraction then: negative 6 over 9 that´s a correct solution. 0.667 is the rounded repeating decimal of that fraction. it goes like 0.6666666666... ( continuing infinitely)

What Girls Said 3

• I hate these types of questions! With most of these I don't even know where to start. They might as well be talking in a language I can't speak :P

Anpu23 has you covered :) I'll let the math masterminds help you!

0|0
    0|0
  • *hisses at math*

If I could I would let you borrow my aunt because she is a retired math teacher. :D (I know that sounded weird as hell and very random., lol.)

0|0
    0|0
  • This made my head hurt. Thank you.

0|0
    0|0