Is this list of countries by number of Internet users accurate?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_number_of_Internet_users

I’m really surprised by some percentages…especially India’s and Pakistan’s percentages…. and Bermuda #2? WTF?

0|0
5|6

Most Helpful Girl

• Probably. China and India have the highest populations in the world so it makes sense that they would have the highest number of internet users when the list isn't normalized.

0|1
    0|0
    • look at their percentages though... it makes sense about china though since internet's really shitty there (YT's banned)... but india?

• Thus why I said "when the list isn't normalized". Plus, if you consider the disparity between poverty in rural areas and the relative amount of people in cities, it's not that surprising.

Most Helpful Guy

• There is nothing surprising there. Scandinavia appears to be amongst the most highly connected region of the world, along with some other developed countries with a higher degree of isolation. Bermuda is a somewhat rich island where most people have an Internet connection. Iceland is a large, vastly unpopulated first world country where almost everybody has an Internet connection, which they need, to stay... Connected.
    AS far as India, and likely Pakistan, there are a large number of poorer people without Internet. access, or lack thereof for religious reasons etc. Any irregularities not-withstanding likely stem from the qualifying factors, eg "at least 12 months duration," etc.

2|2
    0|0

What Girls Said 4

• I think it's accurate, both by the number of users, and by the percentages... small countries often have bigger percentages, large countries usually have greater number of users.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's not surprising if you look at it sorted by percentage of users.

0|0
    0|0
  • Just 93%? Goddamn Scandinavia is always in everything better than us 😡

2|0
    0|0
    • but Bermuda?

but 93% seems to be pretty high for general population... how many among older people over 65 use internet?

• Show All
    • surprisingly enough Japan has around da same percentage as US... i thought Japan'd be on da top 5 for some reason...

• Maybe in Tokyo, but there are enough people who do not live in the city and so have no internet.

• India has cheap internet and easily accessible

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 5

• I am surprised that India is not a higher percentage, since so many there are Microsoft representatives who call us and fix our computers over the internet. lol

Interestingly, Antarctica isn't even listed. Surely there are internet users down there almost all of the time.

Also surprised at first that the UK had a higher percentage than the USA, but then I rethought it and internet prices in Europe are reasonable, not inflated like here.

Is the list accurate? I don't know, but I have no reason to doubt it.

0|1
    0|0
    • but antarctica has no permanent residents doesn't it?

unless if penguins learn to use internet... then ok... :|

• Show All
    • Or you can consider that the percentage is equal to 0 divided by 0, and anything divided by 0 is infinity. So the percentage of residents there using the internet is infinity.

• there r temporary residents... and they r usually scientists...

doubt any "antarctican" from here might be a scientist though...

• Very surprised so many countries higher than US and how high scandinavia was. Bermuda an odd one - That would be a great pub quiz question, it would be a long time before you guessed the Falklands.

0|1
    0|0
    • i xpected scandinavia to be higher than US... since in US there r more poor people than in scandinavia...

italy though has a surprisingly low percentage for a european country... but i guess it's coz of southern italy since people there r way poorer than northern italy i guess... :|

• Italy has an extremely high rate of mail fraud, and Bermuda is a reliable, cheap source of pharmaceutical drugs for the US. While those facts may not tell you everything, they should at least say something

• European and Scandinavian countries generally have a much lower cost for internet service. That makes it much more affordable to them.

• well, india is the second most populated country and the most densely populated one
    and these are the sites blocked in mainland china
    en.wikipedia.org/.../Websites_blocked_in_mainland_China

so yeah, india would obviously have extraordinarily high number of users

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know... I'm just not surprised with Brazil's rank, people here do use internet a lot.

0|0
    0|0
    • in which city do u live?

• Show All
    • i see... well makes sense then... also if u xclude older people... there u have it... ;)

• Yeah, but I know many older people who learned to use new technology as well such as internet.

• yes, because India is a rich country.

0|0
    0|0