Are you surprise 40% of babies born in the US are from single mothers?

It's way higher than I thought it would be. I was thinking maybe 20 percent

• I'm surprised it's that high
  • Not surprised it's that high.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm positive that women who cohabitate with their partners are listed as single mothers.

• Legally they are single.

• the father is less likely to stick around so yes it is fair to call them single moms

• Not every guy is like you, dudeman.

Most Helpful Guy

• Technically that depends on whether they list people who cohabitate but aren't married on paper as "single".

• they do as they should cohabitation is a lot less stable then marriage

• @dudeman But are they SINGLE or IN A RELATIONSHIP?

That's what the whole concern of mine is about. If they are in a relationship but not married, then that's a whole different group.

• i didn't disagree with you i just said that its not necessary to know that to understand the trend.

What Girls Said 11

• no am not suprised

• Not at all, I only know single mothers mostly. People are stupid and selfish and they just want to have children, they don't care how their decisions impact the child's life.

• woah.. that's a lot

• I'm sad to say that isn't surprising to me

• not at all lol. single mothers are super common nowadays unfortunately.

• That's why they shouldn't go raw if they're not married.
    I'm all for premarital sex as long as its with a condom

• pulling out is just as effective as a condom for preventing pregnancy

• I'm not surprised.

• I'm not surprised at all. Thats the perfect percentage.

• its higher than that I think

• i'm surprised

• I'm very surprised, that's almost half! I think that's kind of sad :P

What Guys Said 20

• Maybe some day people will figure out that sex is how babies are made. Really. That really is where babies come from. Once is enough.

Really, once is enough. I learned that lesson the hard way. Learn from others' mistakes and use a damn condom, always. No exceptions.

• Sometimes some couples live like they're married, but don't legally get married to reap in the benefits from the government. Sooo with that said, it's a flawed statistic.

• Holly shit! Never would have thought!

• With marriage being less and less common, it makes total sense that more single mothers (aka, unmarried, but may be in a relationship) are having kids at a larger percentage!

• no not at all women are hos now. its only going to get worse taxes are going to just get higher to pay for all the entitlements women vote in and the standard of living is only going to get worse until women learn how to close their legs.

• that seems a bit high 😕

• not really. if you think about it, lower income families generally have more kids than middle and upper income families. they also start younger as well. so the number of families isn't that much, but the numbers and ages make up for the gap.

• That's surprising... and sad...

• No, not really. More and more people are finding it acceptable to be a single parent. Only God knows why. I'm in the 60% group (non-single mothers).

• Depends on the term "single."
    Are we talking unmarried couples, women with no fathers on the birth certificate or one-night stands that end in pregnancy.

• Nope not surprised.. in my opinion the issue lies in bad match making

I bet if everyone was blind, there would be more perfect relationships since we'd choose out mates based on who has the right personality

• White bishes be like.. Kum @ meh baby 👙💋

• Abstinence only sex ed is clearly working right?

• If there's one thing I've learned from my short time on GaG it's that Americans don't have relationships. They have sex.

• does this stat include fathers that are present in the kids life?

• not really

• Not surprised at all.

• Not that surprised really

• I would have guessed more than 50%.

• Not surprised.