Do you think it's unfair for a woman to expect the guy to do half of the cleaning chores?

When a woman will typically never help the guy with the chores of fixing a car, fixing the sink, water heater and chores like that?

• It's unfair for a woman to expect a guy to do half of the chores when he does the 'guy' chores
  • It's fair for a woman to expect a guy to do half of the cleaning chores and all of the 'guy' chores.
I'm not saying he doesn't do any cleaning chores. He could do like 40 percent of it since he does the fixing type of chores.

Most Helpful Girl

• In that scenario, yeah the chore division is lopsided, bthere are other household chore arrangements. In our house, if you live here you do your fair share and contribute financially. My husband generally hires people to fix the sink, electrical, heaters, etc because he doesn't know anything beyond the basics, and we pay for it together. My brother fixes the car for us because he's a mechanic.

Everything else is divided up by what were good at doing, for example: He does the laundry, I'll clean the floors and vacuum. He mows the lawn and I'll do the garden. Whoever cooks the meal doesn't have to clean up afterwards because the other person will do it, etc. Both of us are currently renovating and finishing the third floor/attic of the house.

When tasks are divided like that, then it's absolutely fair to expect the other person to pull their weight to maintain the house.

Most Helpful Guy

• I typically pay someone to do "man" chores because it isn't worth my time and I can't be bothered.

But taking five minutes to fold a few shirts which she took the time to wash and iron doesn't seem like asking much.

And even if I DO actually do the "man" chores on rare occasion, she cooks more frequently than me -- and that's time consuming.

I think you should be appreciative that a woman might be willing to spend so much time on menial tasks. They may not be difficult, but the time investment might be substantial (and it's why I typically pay someone to do those things).

What Girls Said 21

• Do you think it's unfair for a woman to expect the guy to do half of the cleaning chores?
    No. I think it is quite fair as going by studies I've seen for my country, America, most guys do not do these 'guy echoes' you listed. They go to mechanics, plumbers, gardeners, etc.

Plus for the few I find that are capable of doing such they rarely do these chores. Guy chores are once in a while while cleaning is a daily event. Though it is not surprising to me that male designated chores are a seemingly way way way lighter workload.

• People keep misinterpreting my question. I was just saying that if a guy does all of those chores should he be expected to do half of all the cleaning and other chores or if it's more fair for him to do a bit less cleaning since he does all the fix it type chores.

• I answered your question for if he does all those chores. My last bit addresses the guys capable of doing those chores.

To break it down for you: In my opinion yes it is fair as his workload is far far far less. By only doing the guy chores he is only putting in 30% of his share of household duties since those chores are few and happen WAY less often.

It is basically like a team and the woman does 70% of the work and the guy does 30% of the work.

• Here's how it works in my house.

My parents split the domestic chores (cooking, cleaning, laundry). My mom does 95% of the yard work. My mom does 99% of the horse work. My mom does 75% of the taxi work. My dad does 100% of the homework help. Both my parents work full time jobs. My dad does 100% of everything during tax season because my mom pulls 80 hour weeks because she is a CPA.

We send our cars to the mechanic when they need maintenance and we call mechanics when stuff breaks in our house. My dad doesn't fix it. No body in my family has time for that shit lol

• Nobody ever wants to fix the mechanical stuff lol. I certainly wouldn't.

• The house and shared belongings are both your responsibilities. Is it fair for you to dictate to others how to divide the workload?

Many men don't have a clue about fixing cars, so this question is incredibly niche and therefore far too specific to give general answers to.

• No, assuming they both work full time I don't think it's reasonable she should do all the housework and taking care of the kids by herself.

If there is something he does on one day like fixing a car or whatever, then I'd say she could help with his other chores, but that only happens once in a while. Changing oil every few months is not an excuse to never do anything around the house

• I didn't say he would do nothing around the house. she could do like 60 percent of the cleaning chores while he would do like 40 percent since he does the fixing chores.

• If he is working and she is Not participating in anything but the Household chores Indoors, then he should not be Expected to do any of her chores, Plus his own 'Guy chores' unless he Offers her some help.
    However, if both Parties are Working , it is nice to chip in to help Each other as Not only as Soul mates, but Team mates, where maybe he could lend a helping hand in the home with something small is all.
    Perhaps "C" could have been added to be fair.
    Good luck. xx

• I think it's fair. When it comes to what you call "guy chores", I assist him and he's glad I help him and I often do it myself.
    As fo him, he never cooks (he's a terrible cook) and I spend a lot of time doing it (not complaining, I like doing it), I do the laundry, vacuum the place, take care of our cats. So if I ask him to participate, I think it's normal. Also, he doesn't mind because he knows I do a lot and he's glad when he eat delicious food.

• At the very least he either needs to help in making dinner or cleaning it up if they both work. It is more fun to do it together anyways. I would never be with someone who comes home turns on the game and then can barely be torn from the TV to eat the delicious meal I prepared.

• how often are fixing the car or sinks? cleaning stuff needs to get done everyday.

• Are you seriously asking this question 😂 😂. Of course it's fair. We aren't anyone's maids or slave. When I get my own home I'm not just gonna do housework (that's boring). Also your poll is unfair

• My point was if the guy does all the fixing chores is it fair if he still has to do half of the cleaning chores or if it's more fair if he does like 40 percent of them.

• Well you didn't say 40% but yeah, that seems fair if the girl isn't helping with fixing stuff. I will though so it'll be 50/50

• Double standards.

• Obviously because we don't know HOW to do that mechanical stuff. I'm happy to help though if he needs me to hold a ladder or hand him tools or whatever.

• In my opinion chores should be split 50/50 no matter what. But whoever is more capable of fixing things should fix it.

• if you live there, you can clean up after yourself.

• As long as she does the other half then yes it is fair.

• Those guy chores you listed count as regular shores as well.

• Most people don't do complex auto and home repairs themselves. Small stuff, like putting up a ceiling fan or installing a tv bracket, doesn't happen often and is easier with two people anyway - so both partners end up participating. Yard work and house work are also both easier and faster when two people are pitching in. It doesn't have to be some big "gender wars" debate. It's pragmatic and logical to share tasks. When you live somewhere - shit simply needs to get done. The more people doing it, the easier and faster it is in most cases.

• If he does all the "guy" chores, then yes, that is unfair. But in my house, we pay someone to do the "guy" chores lol, so he can certainly help with the cleaning chores!

• The chores should be split evenly. Fixing a car, fixing the sink, water heater, are chores that aren't done often, while cleaning up is something has to be done once a week if not daily so yes you should be doing nearly half of the cleaning chores in my opinion.

• You gotta clean shit everyday. You gotta make food multiple times a day.
    How often do you need to fix the car or fix the sink etc? Not that often.

• It's fair because fixing the car, sink etc. doesn't happen very often while cooking, cleaning, dishes, laundry etc. have to be done daily! It's not fair that she has to do a bunch of chores everyday while the guy only has chores once in a while. Do you get it?

• I never stated he would do nothing. I was just saying it's more fair to do less cleaning chores since he does the fixing chores.

• Its unfair when you look at it like that. However, if he really doesn't do any "man" chores then there is no reason why he can't help me sweep, mop or do dishes.

What Guys Said 12

• I think maintenance of a household is the responsibility of everyone that lives in that household. Women simply aren't strong enough to help with some of the things you have listed.

At the same time, relationships are about giving - not taking. Basically, you can't say what's fair or not because every one has a different opinion. All you can do is give and if you decide you are not enjoying giving to this person, find someone else to give to. Give until it stops being fun.

by the way in my experience, men are rewarded in the bedroom for doing good man's work! ;)

• Sure it's fair , most guys are messier than the women that they are with anyway

• He lives in the house too, it's his duty to do the chores too. It should be divided 50-50 or depending on the amount of time they spend at work and at home, the one that's at home more does more, no matter if it's male or female.

If you want your girl to help you fixing stuff, just tell her, hell, there are some women who know how to do that themselves, and men who don't know how to do certain things. But still, those are house chores, so if the man is fixing the sink, she could be doing the laundry, it's still a division of labor.

• I think it's fair, she's my girlfriend/wife not my maid.

Besides, chores like "fixing a car, fixing the sink, water heater" don't occur that often... you can go years without any of those problems.

• every couple needs to figure out the balance on their own. whatever each is capable at and willing to do they should do. they should find a fair split applicable to their situation.

• I think it's about responsibility more than equality. If you use dishes, you should help unload the dishwasher. It doesn't matter who does it or who does more. You're not getting paid for it, and you'll end up doing about half the work anyway. If you know how to change the oil and your partner doesn't, of course you'd change the oil, but it doesn't mean you don't have to unload the dishwasher. The question is kind of loaded the way you asked it.

• There's nothing loaded about it. I never said he didn't have to do anything but the fixing chores.

• I'm just referring to the word choice of "fair" when presenting 2 unequal things. It's fine though.

• I'm not gonna add a million things just because. I wanted two definitive answers and for people to explain it.

• 50/50 right. lol 😂

• As long as the general workload is split down the middle it's cool.

• it think it is okay, most women don't know who to do some of the guy's choirs, but guys know how to clean

• Men who do more of the household chores have less sex...

• Assuming i know about cars and sinks. There are other ways to be a man. You sound insecure.

• People are just finding a way to whine and complain about this like you. It's a hypothetical situation and people are just whining and whining.

• It's amazing how so far it seems the "girls" here really believe that it's fair for a guy to do all the chores he's expected to do and half of the other chores. What the fuck else is she doing? Is she doing "girl" chores and half of the cleaning? If that's the case, then that would be fair.