Have you ever paid rent and had a roomate?

So I am about to need a roomate because living costs are going up to quickly in the u. s. I have never needed a roomate before. I am still saving for a house and I want to cut my costs even further.

How does living with a roomate work?

Will the landlord really allow both of us to live in a one bedroom apartment and just split everything, and is that legal?

Or do we get a two bedroom apartment with lets say $1000 rent per month and split the rent?

How would you split utlility bills and everything else?

What are some of the lessons you learned renting with another roomate in the U. S?

What are some ways to qualify good roomates?

I don't want to be stuck with a person that parties all of the damn time.

Why does no one answer?

Most Helpful Guy

• Split the following evenly:
    - rent & all deposits
    - utilities (electric, heat, water, trash pickup, cable/internet, land line telephone)

Divide these as each person consumes it:
    - land line long distance calls
    - cable pay per view charges

Each person pays for these individually:
    - cell phone
    - groceries

These rules work very well. I have had many roommates over the years. From as few as 1 to as many as 4 at a time.

Ensure that all parties actually living there are on the lease. Estimate monthly expenses that are shared and put the same proportion in each person's name.

Example:

RM 1 pays cable and trash pickup
    RM 2 pays electric and water

Make up for differences between estimates and actual charges promptly.

• Interesting, can two people live in a 1B apartment? Is there a legal limit?

• That depends on the law where you live. Building codes identify the minimum square footage per person in a residential dwelling. Beyond that, it is at the landlords discretion as to how many people may be on a lease.

Married couples routinely live in one bedroom apartments. Same sex marriage is the law of the land in the US now. Consequently, it's also a common thing to rent single bedroom dwellings to same sex couples.

Roommates are in a different situation with regard to the law. Couples have rights that roommates can not lay claim to.

Mostly, it will come down to the willingness of your landlord to accept your request. Offering to pay marginally higher rent might make him more willing.

• Thanks for the MHO.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 1

• I did it in college. Living with a roommate can be a living hell, if you don't select the right one. You need to make sure you let them know clearly what their responsibilities are. Bills?-It's half everything and for food-they should buy their own.

• If you read the full thing and answer all of the questions, I will give you the most helpful answer