Can I sue my landlord and property management for not providing Heat?

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• I believe you have a right to withhold rent. However, Make sure you document everything! Send emails and make sure it's well-documented that you have told them about the heating issue. Never call them, because calls can't be documented. Even if you do write down the date and time you called, it's still going to be your word against theirs (unfair, but that's how it is).

Also, if you have a tenant board in your state or province, go to them and complain. They HAVE to provide heat, of course only at a specific temperature. So make sure you read up on the rules and regulations where you live.

I live in Canada and they HAVE to provide heat after the temperature is below a certain degrees. But I'm not sure exactly what it is. But they can't not heat the apartment.

Good luck!

What Guys Said 1

• Something in a law (I could find it if you want) about providing a Habitable living situation. So if you are in a cold climate you could possibly pay for a heater fix and deduct it from your rent.

What Girls Said 2

• Check your lease. There's usually a clause that says something like "the property owner/landlord must provide heat by (specific date) or (specific sustained outdoor temperature)." They do that to cover their asses. I had the same problem with one of my landlords - froze my ass off until after Thanksgiving because the temperature didn't drop very low during the day, but stayed cold in the house.

• Yes, or withhold rent, unless it's specifically listed in the lease. But document that you have requested heat several times before you do anything.