Is the MMO genre DYING?

Just in case some people don't know MMO is massively multiplayer online.

• yes
  • kind of
  • I don't know
  • maybe
  • no
  • It's evolving

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think it's dying completely, but it doesn't work anymore the old way.

you need more than a WoW clone in a different universe and people need to stop believing that you need 10+ million subs to be successful.
    the subscription model is pretty much dead unless you do something really special, like Eve Online and to a certain extend FFXIV.

MMOs need a change but I don't think they'll go away completely. Even if they aren't that popular anymore, there are still a lot of people playing them, especially in Asia.

Most Helpful Girl

• I say "kinda dying" coz it is getting where to do anything or accomplish anything quickly in a game, they are pushing you to spend real $$$.

I play Vega Conflict. WoW, DC Universe online, and Star Trek online. Yes, a girl that likes Gaming! I love these games except you always run into some players who Coin everything making the battles and stuff a joke.

I also play RPG paper and dice games every Friday. Pathfinder, Champions, Traveller D20, and Rifts!

So yeah, MMO's are kinda dying!

What Guys Said 19

• No it's definitely not dying, I think it's more that the game series are dying... people have grown tired of what were classics just becoming rebuffed and the old servers being closed hence they can't go back to their original classics. I just think it needs a new game series to bring people back to one big game instead of the numbers being split across a handful of games.

• they'll always be around. I don't play anymore but MMO will always be around lol.

• I don't think it's dying. But we might be getting past the initial surge in popularity. There was a surge when people were first discovering MMOs in large numbers. Just like there was a huge surge in browser games several years ago. So I think we are settling into a more normal pattern rather than it dying.

Also, new MMOs are really fun in my opinion. I used to love being one of the first to play a new MMO. It was a blast being in the lead crowd exploring the maps for the first time. Now, I think most people who play MMOs or other online games have found a game or two that they've settled into. They are sticking with one or two games, and not playing them as many hours (except the no lifers). People don't play the main content of the game much. They rush to cap as fast as possible, then settle into a grind for the next five years until something better comes along. The whole thing is less dynamic than it used to be.

• the problem is that none of the mmos try to do anything all that innovative. They all try to copy WoW, and do a bad job doing so. Plus the idea of forking out a monthly fee just to play a game has become less and less appealing, especially to the milennial generation. There just isn't a point. I'd much rather fire up The Last of Us and beast in multiplayer with my wolf pack :)

• I hope so, never was my thing. besides look what they did to The Elder Scrolls.

• The initial mainstream buzz of MMOs being "new" may be calming down, but that doesn't mean that MMOs are dying.

However I do believe with the rise of eSports the MMO genre will see a second surge!

• It's just old and stale. WOW is now 11 years old. Nothing really competes with it. Blizzard innovated on the pre-WOW MMOs with new ideas and how things played and no one has managed to innovate even further.

Every new MMO that comes out is a WOW clone at best but often times, it's just plain inferior. No one has actually figured out a way to make them fun. It's mostly just a series of chores. I haven't played the game in ages, but from what I have heard you just get forced into doing tons of daily quests and they just don't release content fast enough for the hardcore crowd and the more casual fanbase has moved on to games with more of a fun factor.

PVP in these games is pretty weak. You are generally always going to lose to the guy that spent a ton more hours acquiring gear.

All in all, I'd rather play Dota 2 or other various steam games than pay 15 bucks a month to level my guys to max and then be bored. Did that for 6 years. Never again.

• I don't think it's 'dying' yet, but people just don;t have that kind of time to invest in an MMO anymore.

• i´ve sunken a lot of time into this and in my opinion, the genere goes to shit...

• OMG IT'S MATPAT!

1 of the only 2 channels I've subscribed to!

• I saw this video before in my opinion Mobas fps and sanbox games are growing more everyday

• Seems like the more time people put into MMo type games the less of a life in the real world they have and so goes for social media addicts.

• I don't think it's going anywhere, everything eventually settles into a state.

I don't even know how many people besides myself love text muds, and that is from the DOS days.

• League and Dota are the most popular now.

I don't really play MMO's. I'm more into my FPS'

• Black Desert, Blade and Soul, Bless. Do I need to say more?

• A prime example STO

• I can't get in to mmo's

• It can single handedly be revived if blizzard comes out with WORLD OF DIABLO.

• Its been dying for a while. Mmos require a ton of free times and blocks of it. People who have demanding jobs, family or even other intrests simply dont have that many solid blocks of free time. If the would make it so it was possible to excel at the game without devoting most of ypur life to it they would do better.

They are stuck on massive multi hour long raids that reauire too much time, time most people these days simply dont have or dont want to part with.

What Girls Said 2

• nope. not with toontown rewritten online. although their server still crashes a lot.

• I don't think it's dying necessarily, but evolving. A lot of MMOs now are going free to play, with micro transactions, instead of a monthly subscription. Even in World of Warcraft, you can buy a 30 day WoW token with gold, and not pay real money.

I am currently playing WoW, WildStar, Marvel Heroes, Guild Wars 2 and waiting for Blade & Soul. Developers will probably keep trying new MMOs (I mean, Crowfall and others are coming out soon).