Would you break up with someone because your pet REALLY hates them?

You have a pet that you love very much. Your pet is friendly, he/she adores everyone basically. You start dating someone and when they meet your pet it's super obvious that your pet REALLY REALLY REALLY hates your new guy/girl. And you don't know why, they just do.

Would you break up because of this?

You know what they say: "If ur pets dont like him/her, he/she ain't da one" ;)

• Yes, gotta get rid of the man/woman, pets know best.
  • No, I don't value my pet's opinion.

Most Helpful Guy

• Animals can feel a lot of things. My aunt has dogs and she told me that when there's a person visiting and my aunt doesn't like them then the dogs would fart on purpose xD like laterally stink bomb the room. If your pet is trying to protect you you better listen to it so Id reconsider my relationship.

Most Helpful Girl

• If my cat doesn't like him, then whatever. I'll stay with him.

But dogs are pretty fuckin' good at reading people and can do a fuck ton more harm than cats to a person. So I'd either not bring him back to my place, ever, or I'd break up with him. I'm not going to abandon an animal in favor of a person, though.

A person knows how to survive on their own. A house pet does not... immediately.

What Guys Said 20

• My dogs freak out and bark seemingly ferociously and intimidatingly at anyone who walks in the room with an unrecognizable scent. Truth is, they are big scaredy cats and are simply afraid of them. If the new person walks towards them they'll back up slowly while barking at them, maybe even run away if the person charges at them. If the new person pets them though and gives them food though, they suddenly get along and are their new best friend.

Yeah... they're "VERY" fierce guard dogs 😑

So even if someone I liked didn't get along with my pets at all, I wouldn't break up with the person. Most likely they just aren't used to each other and need to get acclimated. After time, they'll most likely accept each other-- she just needs to give them food.

• I can't vote on this really. Neither option quite applies. If I met a lady that I really loved and cared for, I would have to adopt a rather pragmatic view that this could be my life long partner, whereas the pet might, sadly, only be around for a few years. I would have to do my best to get my pet to accept the lady. If not, it could turn into a logistical nightmare keeping them apart!!

• Who the hell does my pet think he / she is? It don't bring home no chedda and it damn sho don't gimme no, umm, you know! So get yur @$$ out in the yard and keep it up and you'll find yourself back in the clink!

• Tough one - I would probably arrange to keep them apart postpone decision until the relationship gets maybe closer then have a long think about it - I am single so I will say pet wins.

• I would be in bed with my girl! My pet snake or my pet dog is not gonna seduce her, why the fuck do I care about them... Means they can get jealous all they want I ain't bringing them to bed, just me and my lady..
    See its the basic reason I don't like pets! They are jealous of being bound to our house! And they cannot find a mate! While we bang a new hot lingerie every now and then.

• No, I wouldn't break up with her. I'd try to teach my pet to accept her. It's my fault if my pet behaves badly.

• I couldn't see a situation where my cat would hate a person. She's very affectionate, a bit timid cause she was orphaned, but lovey dovey nonetheless. The girl would have to be some supernatural entity to piss my cat off I think, and at that point I'd have to be worried.

• LOL no.. Most pets hate my guts but I'm not a bad person. I think it's just because I'm huge compared to them hahaha

• No. Her pet knew I'm doing the nasty with her & doesn't like it.

• My dogs act all loving and sweet at home yet will bark wildly at ANYONE when I walk them, including other animals, so no I would not break up with my girlfriend just because my dogs don't like her.

• Well if I had a dog and my future girlfriend didn't get along with it than I'd think there is something wrong with the girl.
    Animals can pick up on things that we can't.

• No, I would not break up over something that trivial.

• The only reason why i would brk up with u is to be with ur pet - Animal rights

• The pet will eventually adapt to trust the person... it wouldn't be like that indefinitely

• Some pets are overly protective and it takes time for them to get accustomed to someone else.

• Nah my pet's gotta suck it up and shut the fuck up

• I'm sure they'll get along over time... no need to panic and break up ;)

• I would obviously value my pet more than that person.

• Nah that hamster hates everyone

• Your pet doesn't know any better, there could be many reasons why the pet 'doesnt like' him. Now if this person HATES my pet, that's probably a deal breaker. For example when I first met my dog, she would growl, snap and was really scared of me. She was simply a fearful dog, she was scared of everyone. I knew the moment I saw that dog that I loved her and now we get along soooo well, love my doggie so much :)).

What Girls Said 9

• This is hard as fuck, I don't have pets now but I love animals with all my heart. I actually imagine myself living alone with my dog... If she doesn't like my partner, I'm afraid I would have problems lol

If that's the case.. (my pet unliking my partner and loving everyone else) maybe I would consider breaking up. Not sure tho, I don't have pets now.

• i would get rid of then cause dogs are great at senceing who is and who is not trust wearthy and i will stick by my dogs side through thick and thin people who get rid of their trusted pets just because they didn't like some one are very low in my books

• Animals *know* okay. I trust animals much more than I do humans.

• lol what is it with all these pet questions? xD

• i would try to encourage them to get along

• No. I wouldn't.

• I think that's about time

• Just like in people, there is usually a reason behind why pets hate certain people. For example, my best friend has 6 pets, 4 cats, 2 dogs. I get along well with every single one of them, but one of them. He barks at me aggressively non stop whenever he sees me, and no one else. I've never done a thing to him other then try to befriend him like her other pets. Should she now get rid of me as a friend b/c her beloved dog hates me? She wouldn't be a friend worth having if she did! We suspect, b/c he's an adopted pet, that he may have had issues with a former abusive owner that may have looked like me. Unless there is some verifiable reason why your pets don't like your SO, as in he or she is abusive verbally or physically towards them, you need to consider further training for your pet, and not ditch either party.

• I wouldn´t break up with him, but i would be wondering why my pet doesn´t like him. usually animals can sense thing we don´t