Why are almost all homeless people white?

Homeless can be caused by many things: alcohol, drug, gambling issues, unemployment, rough divorces or just plain bad luck, but it seems to me at least that 80% of the homeless are usually white men.

Out of 10 that I've seen over the last week, 8 were white.

Why is this the case?

Most Helpful Girl

• The demographics of homeless in most communities mirror the demographics of the community at large.

My family volunteers frequently at two homeless shelters, which serve meals to the homeless in two different cities, one with a large black, American Indian and white population making up the largest percentage, the other city has a very diverse population. From my observation I would say that both of the shelters pretty much represent the population of their city.

Homelessness doesn't know skin color, many people have hard times for many different reasons, skin color is rarely the reason.

Most Helpful Guy

• where do your see your homeless people? cause I walk the streets of LA and 95% of them are black.

• I live in a predominantly ethnic area of my city.

I wasn't speaking of LA, Chicargo or Birmingham... I'm talking about where I live ffs.

• then you should have stated so

What Girls Said 7

• Probably because where you live, the demographics are largely white.
    Where I live, most hobos are non-white, accurate of the demographics of non-homeless as well.

• I'm in a predominant ethnic area of the city. Most people here are of Asian descent.

• so you know the race of all homeless people then, eh? All around the globe?

• No, I don't. I hope you understand I am speaking about where I live.

• They're not. Homelessness tends to be more way common in racial minorities.

• Errrrr well something like 75% of US citizens are white so it looks like the same # applies to the homeless population...

Its pretty simple...

• Cause we white folk are entitled assholes who don't know how to handle our shit when it hits the fan.

• well a large majority of the US is white...
    so.
    ...

• No support from people.

• Good observation lol

What Guys Said 10

• I've encountered several whites and blacks.

• Well I've encountered 80% and 20% ethnic minority.

• Oh and i was talking to the asker. That's why the percentage joke

• 8 out of 10 homeless people I've come across in my neighbourhood over the last week or so were WHITE... so it's not hard to make percentages you mug @jjmarvin.

• You haven't been to Chicago then.

• Its probably because there are just way more white skinned people in the world... i guess... so many ethnicities simply have light skin

• Demographic reasons, I suppose. If majority of the people where you live are white, what do you think the chances are?

• Drugs or tough luck.

• Come to downtown Los Angeles. About half of them are non-white.

• Well aren't there more white people in general than others?

It's ok to observe bit when you ask like you're gong to get an interesting answer it's kinda racist

• Sort out your syntax.

• You know what i said. Don't change the subject cuz you're butthurt

• I have no idea what you said... hence why I said sort out your syntax.

• It depends entirely on where you live.

• I mostly only see homeless Eskimos. I'm only happy when it snows.

• I see a wide variety of races so I don't know what you're talking about.