RACIST? She said whatt?

My friend told me that the guy hitting on me is "really cute" but then she said "he's cute but for a white guy". Would you guys get offended if you heard that? She's always told me how she won't date one. She's friends with them but never dated one. My family is probably going to kill me for possibly dating one hahah but it's my choice.
We're both hispanic/Latinas in case you were wondering.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think racial differences and racial identities are very real and important. It's normal to prefer a person of your own race. I am white and I would never be offended if a girl of another race said that about me. She is just being honest and there is no malice in that statement. Why is recognizing differences and talking openly about one's preferences suddenly a bad thing?

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes and no? Not sure how she sounded and the way she expressed it when she said it to you. She may have a race preference, that is why she put it like that. Race preference and being racist is 2 very different things.

What Guys Said 8

• i think it is. i mean in his shoes i probably feel like i am one of a kind, but yet my race is still being degraded on.

PS; I'm Hispanic/Latino too

• she probably isn't really attracted to white men until she met this guy, there are always exceptions

• If you deny that there are no attractive people of a certain race, that's racist.

• I think cutting ones self off from possible love because of race is racist

• That's true. Im not going to not date him just because he's white.

• Sounds like a catch. Good luck

• Thanks:)

• No, I wouldn't be offended because I know that black girls aren't really attracted to white guys in general. There's just not much attraction at all between these groups, and I think there are some serious reasons for that. This is the reason white guy/black girl couples are so rare. Honestly, I'm amazed that so many people are trying to promote these couplings because most black girls and white guys aren't going to go for one another.

• Nah, no offense taken. Your friend was just being honest. She's not into white guys, and that's her prerogative.

Now, just to illustrate the double standard, if you flipped the script and discussed a white guy saying that a girl was "cute for a black girl," then everyone would be howling about how racist the guy is. The reality is that people usually prefer people like them, which is why black girls and white guys aren't really attracted to one another. It's just preference, nothing more.

• Nope. I'm white & OK with that.
    I KNOW if it was the opposite it would be racist.

• Sarcasm noted. Honestly if Im going to be seeing this guy, I. really appreciate my friends saying he's cute for a white guy at all.

• I've had a number of East Asians, mostly older women, say I was "very handsome for a white guy". It never bothered me. I just wished it were younger women saying it.

• So you wouldn't be angry if you heard that?

• Not at all, I expect people to have standards of beauty based on the first impressions of childhood.

What Girls Said 0