Do you think suicide should be made legal?

So, In most western countries, Suicide is Illegal (not that they can do anything if your dead but whatever). This however means that to commit suicide, Means that one must do it using difficult, and often painful methods. (I. e jumping, hanging, overdose etc).

Some countries in the world, Allow assisted suicide in the event of you being paralyzed or something via a lethal substance (Usually drank / injected). This is painless, quick and clean.

So, My point is, Its our lifes, Surely should we not have the ability to forefeit and end it in a safe, quick, painless and legally supported way?

I think this would make it a lot easier for suicidal people to get what they need.

• Yes, Suicide should be legal
  • No, Suicide should remain illegal

Most Helpful Girl

• I think in some cases such as when an individual is suffering, in pain or has a condition or illness where their lifestyle and happiness is affected greatly then they should have the option to commit assisted suicide because they are lacking quality of lifestyle but I don't think suicide should be available to everyone. There should be certain guidelines or criteria to refer to when someone applies for suicide. You'd get lots of depressed and heartbroken people - who are treatable and only wanting suicide in the short term who should not be considered for access to suicide.

I would just like to add that if people are assisted with a lethal injection their organs can NOT be used for organ transplants due to the chemicals used in the injection which have unsafe side effects when transplanted in to an alive body.

• Eh, That dosen't bother me, Id never want to give organs away.

So, By that, You dont think people who are physically healthy should be entitled to suicide?

• Although Asker is going too far with this and the whole suicide thing, he has one point.

We're fucking tired of the older adults telling us that "it'll get better" or "you're too young to be worrying about this" mainly because it just doesn't feel genuine. There are quite a few 25+, 30+ men even that are complaining, and high school may be very shallow in general, but from what I see online, the real world isn't that much better. There still seems to be plenty of shallowness in the dating world even between older adults. And you still have to be able to attract people. My point is, dating as an older adult doesn't LOOK MUCH better than high school. In some ways, it's worse, because expectations will be higher and you're even more likely to get dumped over a trivial reason. I mean I see older adults complaining about the same issues some people think are only limited to the high school dating scene.

• And it's especially hard to be receptive to that kind of dynamic from older adults for me personally because of... see opinion comments undrr fauchevelent's opinion: www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1710554-why-is-it-so-hard-to-please-women

Sorry to hijack this, but I am somewhat in the same boat here, even though I am not at am contemplating suicide although I do seem to have an anxiety disorder espsecially with this stuff for which I am looking to get help soon, in that the adage from older adults on how we have so much life ahead of us and how things will magically get better is not of solace and doesn't really make us feel better. In fact, it feels like a white lie almost, to me at this point having heard the same thing over and over again, especially with all the older unsuccessful people which were likely also told the same thing when they were our age.

Most Helpful Guy

• first of all, suicide and assisted suicide is two different things.

Suicide means YOU kill yourself.

Assisted suicide means you get someone else to kill you.

Speaking for norway at least, suicide is legal. Assisted suicide is not, this because it's in most countries mostly used by thermally ill people. So who decides when to pull the plug? And when is the person truly able to make a decisson for himself? Who gets to decide if the person is in for example a coma?
    Those dilemmas have made it per now illegal.

What Girls Said 7

• Doctor assisted suicide is a very contentious issue. Most doctors feel that it violates the Hippocratic Oath and do not want to allow it. The political systems tend to follow the medical communities' lead.

I personally would be in favour of DAS, if only to free up bed spaces in hospital. People should be allowed to die with dignity, if their condition has no hope of improving.

• i think assisted suicide should be made legal and available, for people that are facing a hopeless medical condition that they will die from and they will no longer be able to have a quality life and or are in constant pain, especially if they are an elderly person. for example they are paralyzed from the neck down and are losing their other senses. it's legal to put animals down when they are no longer able to enjoy life and it's more merciful.
    anyone who's watched a creature that is constantly in pain and suffering and no longer enjoys life knows how sad and stressful to see someone like that.
    of course it would have to be heavily regulated but other than that i don't think assisted suicide should be used.

• who... who hurt u?

• I make this argument everyday whenever I can!

There should be places where we can go for a lethal injections.
    With a waiting room and everything.

It would be beneficial because then we can use the organs from these suicidal donors.

• To be honest, If i were to use one of these 'Suicide clinics' or something, I wouldn't donate my organs. :/.

• That's the most selfish thing I ever heard.

• @ShaeNielson, How is it?

Why do other people deserve my organs? What did they ever do for me to earn them?

• Where is suicide illegal? I've never heard of that.

It would be absolutely ridiculous to make it illegal, of course it should remain legal.

• Pretty much every developed country on earth?

Big examples obviously include most of Europe, UK, USA Etc.

Though, Its not like they can enforce a law on a dead person, But, From the laws point of view, Suicide is treated to a similar degree of ''Self Murder'', Though rarely do people who fail suicide ever go to jail etc, They can be fined or forced into mental hospitals though.

• @ShaeNielson , Literally just google it mate.

• I did, and I found no places where it's illegal.

• who cares if it's legal? people will do it anyway. unless you mean assisted ones?

• I do think suicide should be legal. Not saying I think it's generally a good or wise choice, but it kind of bothers me that I don't have a legal right to decide whether or not to exist.

We could maybe have required counseling and psychological assessments before doctors are able to assist in suicide, to hopefully curb some of the spur-of-the-moment decisions, but ultimately I think people should be allowed to choose for themselves.

What Guys Said 15

• It's a legislative nightmare. Legalise it and you'll inevitably get more cases of "angel of death" type killers, only now they will be 100% legal, all theyll have to do is talk their victims into it (and anyone who has worked around vulnerable people will tell you how easy that would be).
    TBH if there wasn't so much media attention constantly on the topic you would possibly find that many very sick people who wanted to die would quietly die from accidental medicine overdose-- oope. It was pretty common, everyone knew it happened, but becaus no one acknowledged it no one needed to worry about it being legal.

• Maybe if there were certain rules about it. Like if you want to kill yourself, you have to agree to go to therapy or something for a certain amount of time before deciding to end your life. Well obviously you couldnt stop someone from killing themselves but if it was an assisted suicide or something. im not sure

• Surely, With it being our own lifes, We must have the knowledge to be able to say whats best for ourselves, And, if we come to the conclusion death is whats best, Surely noone else's opinion can be better then ones own right?

• Yes but there are people who were suicidal but then got help and are better now. Me for example, i was suicidal before but i feel better about life now. People should at least try to get better before completely giving up

• Sometimes mate, There are no cures for some peoples issues.

Sure, You can always get over the depressed feelings of a failed relationship or family problem, But you can never get over things like being grotesquely ugly and other non changeable issues.

For us people, Suicide is a very very good choice, It would just be easier if there was a way of just paying to get it done painlessly and quickly, rather then the nasty options one currently has you know?

• Yes, there should be an option to die especially in very unfortunate cases such as a painful illness.

• They passed the right to die law in California all we have to do is wait for idiots who say it's wrong "yet they don't volunteer and don't do a single thing to help these people"

• The sad part is that they have to 1) be terminally ill, 2) have six months to live and 3) be able to ingest it personally without assistance

• @rorschach_ ahhhh of course it's going to be nitpick they should let everyone have the choice of dying or else they're just going to go kurt cobain or make a mess in the freeway or even worse not finish the job and be in extreme pain for a while until they die

• Should only be legal under extreme situations

Otherwise NO, people that want to die are usually not in the right mental capacity to make an appropriate judgment such as living or dying. I bet that do die if yhey could come back they would of wish someone helped and stopped them

• Suicide and attempted suicide is NOT illegal in most Western countries. It used to be, but laws were changed decades ago.

Assisted suicide, meanwhile, is slowly becoming legal in Western countries.

• suicidal thoughts are just depression life is rough at times but you have to make the best of it as you can I know all of the crazy things that's going on in the world might frightened but sometimes you have to watch your surroundings and keep some true friends around believe it or not friends can help you in the long run true ones and keep a positive mind and always keep god with you yes he is real pray sometimes.

• yes it should, but I mean if it doesn't change what are they going to do, charge someone who just killed them selves and put the corpse in prison?

• Hell yeah, If I want to die why not let me? Life isn't special and it's very overrated. All life on earth works too hard just to find those little moments of peace. For some oeople it's very tiresome and it gets old fast.

Legal suicide for all.

• Dude

Just cuz it's our lives, doesn't mean they were given to us so we could throw them away.

• People need to be helped, that wanna commit suicide.

• no I think killing should be legal based on the situation

• no, in my country it's legal and should remain so.

• You present a false dichotomy, like it has to be either/or. I think suicide over bipolar or because you were dumped/flunked out of school/are not popular in school, etc., is a sin (yes I still believe some actions are sinful against God because you are playing God by offing yourself), but in the case of terminal cancer, I think it should be approved and encouraged, for the purpose of stopping the pain, which I have witnessed first-hand, having lost a wife to a brain tumor - of course euthanasia was not a legal option, so she died in pain.

• Only in the event that the person is terminally ill. For all others, counseling and therapy.

• You know counseling and therapy dosen't work right?